Republicans seem to soften on immigration

luckystrike

Rookie
May 25, 2011
In the 2008 presidential campaign, some Republican contenders called for millions of people living in the country illegally to return to their native lands before being able to seek legal status.

As the next presidential election nears, would-be GOP nominees are emphasizing sympathy for some illegal immigrants, in what is either a strategic feint or a reflection of changed political terrain.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich opened the door to more flexible treatment of illegal immigrants who have been in the United States for decades, obey the law and are married with children.

"We are going to want to find some way to deal with the people who are here, to distinguish between those who have no natural ties to the United States — and therefore you could deport them at minimum human cost — and those who in fact may have earned the right to become legal but not citizens," he said in Marshalltown, Iowa.

The invasion by Mexicans is still an invasion....an act of war...a theft of the American way of life.

Some candidates have already gotten a taste of voter sentiment.

At a recent house party in Iowa, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum was midway through his plan to secure the border — more double fencing, a tamper-proof verification system and other measures — when voter Lee Bowden from Independence cut him off.

"If we can't enforce our borders, how is that any different from war? And if that's the case, why don't we just put enough drones instead of a fence right there at the border?" Bowden asked.

"Drones — you're talking about bombing people," Santorum answered after a breath of surprise.

"That's what I'm talking about," Bowden answered. "They shoot us when they cross the border."

As Santorum replied that U.S. forces should not be "bombing people on our own soil," another man shouted out: "How do you get their attention?"

It will take a war with Mexico to remove these invaders. If it takes individual acts of heroism by Americans against these invaders, so be it. If the cowardly government sides with Mexico, it shall be considered in violation of the Americans who fought for this country against treachery.

I never thought I'd see the day when the President of the United States would raise an army to invade his own country.
Robert E. Lee

Last edited:
I've got the perfect answer; an exchange program. We could swap US Congress members and Senators for hard working Mexicans.

I don't think they have said anything differently. They still claim that neither party is willing to deport 12million plus illegals back to where they came from. So a legalization is coming. The question is whether they will reward 12M plus for breaking our laws or will they make them pay one way or another and how. They will have to decide how far back to go to draw the line.

I've got the perfect answer; an exchange program. We could swap US Congress members and Senators for hard working Mexicans.

It would not work as hard working mexicans are not academically prepared. Besides not ALL mexicans are hard working NOR do they come here to work.

I don't think they have said anything differently. They still claim that neither party is willing to deport 12million plus illegals back to where they came from. So a legalization is coming. The question is whether they will reward 12M plus for breaking our laws or will they make them pay one way or another and how. They will have to decide how far back to go to draw the line.

How do you make people pay when they have nothing to pay with? How do we prove they are able to pay when we cannot prove they are able to pay for their own healthcare? The only way for them to pay is to go the the back of the line and enter legally. A $5,000 fine is a joke and it will end up being blind amnesty once again. Then WE have to provide them with English lessons. The cost of a path to citizenship with a fine will cost us trillions.

republicans always get soft when fighting demokrats - that is why we got the tea party....im afraid they r too little too late

Republicans had both houses and the presidency and a majority in the Supreme Court for six straight years. Guess they were too busy building the deficit than worry about immigration.

Forum List

Back