Republicans: Reregister as Democrats?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jwoodie, Nov 11, 2012.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,912
    Nationally, the Republican Party is about 80% conservative. The Democratic Party is about 40% conservative but, because of the smearing of the Republican brand, about 1/4 of these vote Democratic anyway, giving that party an effective 70% liberal tilt. Given the Democrats' recent mastery of getting-out-the-vote tactics, Republicans can no longer rely on greater conservative turnout to win national elections.

However, if all Republicans reregistered as Democrats, the Democratic Party would become 60% conservative and our government would reflect that change. This may sound like One Party Rule, but at least it would be a conservative party. The creation of a Third Party has not resulted in a Presidential election victory in 150 years,* and has no prospect of achieving that goal in the foreseeable future.

*The only reason Lincoln won (with 39% of the vote) in 1860 was because the Democrats nominated two Presidential candidates (Northern & Southern) that year, who split the Democratic vote. A similar Republican split in 1912 elected Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, and Ross Perot's conservative candidacy in 1992 helped Bill Clinton win with only 43% of the popular vote.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,712
    jwoodie, very interesting!

3. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I would like to note that the republican party and democrat party in Lincolns time where opposite in what they represent in modern times.

4. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    You put too much faith in a label. Yes, a majority of Americans call themselves conservatives. However when you ask their positions on issues such as the environment and education and health care, they take a liberal perspective.

5. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Valid historical points.

Using a longer term and more universal measuring stick the word Liberal is overused.

The Political Compass - US Presidential Election 2012

In regards to the "average American" I question where they fall

6. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Most Americans fall somewhere in the center. Thankfully.

7. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    My link may be different than what you are thinking I am concerned. Central would be down and to the left of both candidates.

Then again I have always felt a strong authortarian appeals to voters of both sexes on a primal level. As does the desire to think of oneself as "above average" or a non 47 percenter which pushes even a welfare receiving farmer living behind a corps of engineers floodwall to wanna vote right of his true opinions