Republicans reach for "the last straw" as it were

they were accusing Bush of being a dictator when he used them, but now all of a sudden Obama is JUST DOING his job..

160 of these so far..

Stockman probably kept Obama from going further than he really wanted

good for him because he knew he had a lot of people who would back him

Last edited:
Good ole left wing nutters.

If you guys weren't building strawmen all the time you might actually observe some facts.

The GOP, FOX, and the right wing radio talk show hosts and talking heads all agree, and have been saying this for 4 years, that obama CAN'T lead. He can't and he doesn't.

Fail thread.

Good ole left wing nutters.

If you guys weren't building strawmen all the time you might actually observe some facts.

The GOP, FOX, and the right wing radio talk show hosts and talking heads all agree, and have been saying this for 4 years, that obama CAN'T lead. He can't and he doesn't.

Fail thread.

They bitched a fit every time Bush did this, they now want to act like they were ho hum obama just doing his little ole job

Where was all this outrage against presidential signing orders when George W. Bush was going at it 24/7?

The question should be where is all the outrage from the ABA now that a lawyer is President?

During the administration of President George W. Bush, there was a controversy over the President's use of signing statements, which critics charged was unusually extensive and modified the meaning of statutes. The practice predates the Bush administration, however, and has since been continued by the Obama administration.

In July 2006, a task force of the American Bar Association stated that the use of signing statements to modify the meaning of duly enacted laws serves to "undermine the rule of law and our constitutional system of separation of powers". In fact, the Constitution does not authorize the President to use signing statements to circumvent any validly enacted Congressional Laws, nor does it authorize him to declare he will disobey such laws (or parts thereof).

When a bill is presented to the President, the Constitution (Art. I) provides three choices: do nothing, sign the bill, or (if he disapproves of the bill) veto it in its entirety and return it to the House in which it originated, along with his written objections to it.

Also:
On March 9, 2009, President Barack Obama ordered his executive officials to consult Attorney General Eric Holder before relying on one of George W. Bush's signing statements to bypass a statute. He stated that he only plans to use signing statements when given legislation by Congress which contain unconstitutional provisions. In a memo to the heads of each department in the Executive Branch, Obama wrote:

"In exercising my responsibility to determine whether a provision of an enrolled bill is unconstitutional, I will act with caution and restraint, based only on interpretations of the Constitution that are well-founded."

During his presidential campaign, Obama rejected the use of signing statements. He was asked at one rally: "when congress offers you a bill, do you promise not to use presidential signing statements to get your way?" Obama gave a one-word reply: "Yes." He added that "we aren't going to use signing statements as a way to do an end run around Congress." On March 11, 2009, President Obama issued his first signing statement, attached to the omnibus spending bill for the second half of FY2009.

I say Obama is a bottom-feeding lying sack of dog squeeze and those would be his finer points.

Last edited:

That's the funniest post I've seen today.

Do you really think that the President is afraid of a wingnut freshmen Congressman, who's already alienated the Republican leadership by not voting for Boehner?

In terms of political power, Steve Stockman is pretty close to the bottom of the list in terms of influence.

That's the funniest post I've seen today.

Do you really think that the President is afraid of a wingnut freshmen Congressman, who's already alienated the Republican leadership by not voting for Boehner?

In terms of political power, Steve Stockman is pretty close to the bottom of the list in terms of influence.

wonderful, so ALL the people who would back him mean jack shit

Steph posting on one's thread is a death sentence :(

great, because threads you start should be dead..Evidently you weren't around or born yet during the Bush administration...They called him a dictator for using these..but now that Obama does the New Yorker thinks it's a joke

I just notice that once you make one of your invariably zaney, rw posts, no others follow. We're you in the mafia because your posts give threads the kiss of death :(

Forum List

Back