Republicans Push Nuclear Energy

The US did what, after three mile island? So did the rest of Western world. USSR? Nothing. Hell they even let people go back.

That's the type of 'caring' government too many seem anxious to get started here. We're 'all equal' except for the ruling class.

Do you make this shit up for effect or do you believe your delusional "too many seem anxious"

The ONLY ones that are "anxious" are right wingers that are hiding under their beds because a Democrat is in office... the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

The right wing mind...FEAR, FEAR and more FEAR...

Considering what I've posted, seems you are just a sock puppet of the nuclear power is dangerous. Wawawa.

The US did what, after three mile island? So did the rest of Western world. USSR? Nothing. Hell they even let people go back.

That's the type of 'caring' government too many seem anxious to get started here. We're 'all equal' except for the ruling class.

Do you make this shit up for effect or do you believe your delusional "too many seem anxious"

The ONLY ones that are "anxious" are right wingers that are hiding under their beds because a Democrat is in office... the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Considering what I've posted, seems you are just a sock puppet of the nuclear power is dangerous. Wawawa.

Nuclear power is dangerous and unnecessary.

They still don't know what to do with the waste.

Links. To all, regarding the new plants and the 'waste' which is being recycled. Links to those things have been provided above. You are saying all is wrong, prove it or stfu.

Meaning you are ignorant and don't try to educate yourself. Typical.

Personal attacks are not convincing arguments.

Nuclear waste is a huge problem. Do some reading.

On Friday France's Nuclear Safety Agency (ASN) revealed that damage to an underground conduit at the Romans-sur-Isère plant in southwestern France had allowed radioactive waste to leak, though in quantities so small, it said, to have "not at all affected the environment." But it was not the first such incident. The ASN announced July 7 that uranium-tainted waste liquids from the Tricastin nuclear plant, in southern France 30 miles northwest of Avignon, had leaked into surrounding rivers and topsoil. Inhabitants of the Vaucluse department were ordered to refrain from drinking water, eating locally caught fish, and irrigating crops with potentially contaminated water.

French Doubts Up After Nuke Mishaps - TIME

On Friday France's Nuclear Safety Agency (ASN) revealed that damage to an underground conduit at the Romans-sur-Isère plant in southwestern France had allowed radioactive waste to leak, though in quantities so small, it said, to have "not at all affected the environment." But it was not the first such incident. The ASN announced July 7 that uranium-tainted waste liquids from the Tricastin nuclear plant, in southern France 30 miles northwest of Avignon, had leaked into surrounding rivers and topsoil. Inhabitants of the Vaucluse department were ordered to refrain from drinking water, eating locally caught fish, and irrigating crops with potentially contaminated water.

French Doubts Up After Nuke Mishaps - TIME

Your point? Guess what? Pure electrical plants had electrocutions. So, we should go back to burning trees? That would not be 'green'.

Seems the people are more cogent than yourself.

...Though both cases have been assigned the lowest rating on the seven-point scale of nuclear accidents, officials are moving to protect France's nuclear reputation. Even before news of Friday's incident broke, French Ecology Minister Jean-Louis Borloo ordered inspections of all 58 French nuclear installations and checks on radiation levels in the underground aquifers surrounding them. Borloo stressed there was no grounds to anticipate additional breaches. "I don't want people feeling we're hiding anything from them," Borloo told the daily Le Parisien.

Barring any further revelation of French breaches, this month's twin mishaps won't alter France's official policy on the technology — nor are they alone likely to undermine the French public's approval of it as a clean, cheap energy source. But should Borloo's inspections turn up additional failings, France's long-term bet on nuclear power could face shakier odds...

There is no long-term solution to the problem of what to do with nuclear-generated waste, merely the hope that something will be worked out. Those hopes may dwindle further in the face of what has happened to France, once vaunted as the nation that did nuclear "right." First, French attempts to build new reactors in France and Finland has been financially disastrous, much like that of the American nuclear industry in the 1980s. The Finnish Olkiluoto reactor is now 55 percent over budget, while the Flamanville project in France has exceeded its budget by $1 billion less than a year into construction.

But more important, claims that France had perfected the recycling of nuclear waste are coming under scrutiny. Critics of the French system point to the reprocessing plant at La Hague, which has been discharging 100 million gallons of radioactive waste annually into the English Channel, as well as similarly radioactive gas releases from La Hague. And the French nuclear industry, despite reprocessing, nonetheless has generated 10,000 tons of spent fuel rods like those that now sit in "temporary" storage at Shearon Harris.

Waste and cost raise doubts about nuclear power: News: National/ International: Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill

Of particular concern in nuclear waste management are two long-lived fission products, Tc-99 (half-life 220,000 years) and I-129 (half-life 17 million years), which dominate spent fuel radioactivity after a few thousand years. The most troublesome transuranic elements in spent fuel are Np-237 (half-life two million years) and Pu-239 (half life 24,000 years).[14]
Radioactive waste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember an NRC official saying a few years ago that they were prepared to guard nuclear waste for 100,000 years. Right....

We don't need nuclear power. There is plenty of clean energy out there.

We need to develop carbon nanotubes. They will make solar panels 90% efficient.

As Buckminster Fuller said, "There isn't an energy crisis, there is only a crisis of ignorance."

We need to develop Warp Speed too, so the Vulcans will come and save us from ourselves.

There's a lot of things we can do, with our IMAGINATIONS!

But, the rest of us choose to live in reality.

The reality is that the ability to develop this technology is within our grasp.

If we had spent the $700 billion dollars we wasted in Iraq on clean American energy, we would be well on our way by now.

I bet you what you'd have ended up with is a failed policy that wasted $700 billion dollars and we would still need to invade Iraq because we'd be in an even worse position than we are in today and more desperate for oil than ever before.

This idea that we are close to changing how we make energy is stupid.

Do you even know how energy is made?

Parson's turbines.

Whether it is garbage incinerators, coal fired power plants, nuclear power, geothermal, what have you, almost all our power is generated by Parson's turbines or their equivalents.

If nearly all our energy is produced by Parson's turbines then the way to turn those turbines is through steam.

The reason most our energy is produced by Parson's turbines is because one turbine can produce 100,000s of horse power.

Which is the equivalent of thousands of acres of solar panels or wind turbines.

So the solution to energy isn't in some wasteful renewable energy like solar or wind, those are good for the individual consumer or small business, but for industry and grids, we need NUCLEAR.

We need to develop Warp Speed too, so the Vulcans will come and save us from ourselves.

There's a lot of things we can do, with our IMAGINATIONS!

But, the rest of us choose to live in reality.

The reality is that the ability to develop this technology is within our grasp.

If we had spent the $700 billion dollars we wasted in Iraq on clean American energy, we would be well on our way by now.

I bet you what you'd have ended up with is a failed policy that wasted $700 billion dollars and we would still need to invade Iraq because we'd be in an even worse position than we are in today and more desperate for oil than ever before.

This idea that we are close to changing how we make energy is stupid.

Do you even know how energy is made?

Parson's turbines.

Whether it is garbage incinerators, coal fired power plants, nuclear power, geothermal, what have you, almost all our power is generated by Parson's turbines or their equivalents.

If nearly all our energy is produced by Parson's turbines then the way to turn those turbines is through steam.

The reason most our energy is produced by Parson's turbines is because one turbine can produce 100,000s of horse power.

Which is the equivalent of thousands of acres of solar panels or wind turbines.

So the solution to energy isn't in some wasteful renewable energy like solar or wind, those are good for the individual consumer or small business, but for industry and grids, we need NUCLEAR.

Actually, I think you're both right in a sense!! As of right now, Nuclear is definitely the way to go as opposed to coal burning electricity which currently provides about 60% of U.S. power. I live in the south and every place I've ever been here is powered by Nuclear energy or by Hydroelectric energy, and our electric bills are the lowest in the country, in some places around $0.06 per kWh.

Nuclear would be a great solution as it would last for years and drive electricity prices down... as well as provide millions of jobs with the building of new plants!! Although, I've seen studies that say that solar power is the wave of the future and can be much more efficient (in the 90% range) than nuclear power. The problem is that this kind of solar power is 10 to 15 years and billions of dollars down the road. We would be smart to begin investing in this!! As of right now though, I think the Republicans actually have this right!!

Personal attacks are not convincing arguments.

Nuclear waste is a huge problem. Do some reading.

and have you read the WSJ piece on nuclear "waste" that I provided?

there is no problem with storing the extremely small amounts of radioactive materials that cannot be recycled as of yet.

Forum List

Back