Republicans Pressing for a Balanced Budget Fail to Deliver Details on How

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Republicans Pressing for a Balanced Budget Fail to Deliver Details on How - Bloomberg

Congressional Republicans are clear in their demand for a constitutional amendment forcing the government to balance its budget. What they’re not offering is clarity on how to get there.

It’s politically popular to line up behind such an amendment; laying out specific cuts is less appealing.

Almost all Republicans and some Democrats will vote to alter the Constitution when the issue comes up as early as this week. Almost none, including a leading co-sponsor of the Senate measure, Orrin Hatch, and Bill Flores of Texas, a co-sponsor of the House measure, say how they’d slash Medicare, eliminate federal programs or shrink education, law enforcement or national defense. Republicans agree that tax increases shouldn’t be part of the equation.

“It’s a misleading political cheap shot,” Bill Hoagland, a budget adviser to Republican congressional leaders from 1982 to 2007, said of the proposed amendment. “We all agree we should have a balanced budget, but that’s the process of budgeting and governing. They are paid to come to town and make decisions.”

A balanced-budget amendment would require cuts even deeper than those in the budget proposed by Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, which was approved by the Republican-controlled House in April. Ryan’s plan doesn’t balance the budget until 2040 and would leave a $338 billion deficit in 10 years.

Hatch, a Utah Republican facing re-election in 2012, wouldn’t offer specifics on entitlement cuts or say which federal departments he would close to reach a balanced budget.

“When the time comes, I’ll name them,” said Hatch. “I don’t want to do it right now, because we have to pass that amendment.”

More political pandering to the base by the GOP without any real substance.

Obama has submitted one budget to date, and it was overwhelmingly rejected by both sides of the aisle. Perhaps Little Lord Obamaboy should submit a budget that is fiscally responsible. Cause, you know, that's kinda how this works.

When was the last democrat version of a budget submitted?

Obama has submitted one budget to date, and it was overwhelmingly rejected by both sides of the aisle. Perhaps Little Lord Obamaboy should submit a budget that is fiscally responsible. Cause, you know, that's kinda how this works.

Pretty sure this thread isn't about what President Obama has or has not done. Do you plan on actually commenting on the article or just defending the GOP by trying to deflect?

ZOMG!

Politicians being politicians!

Alert the media! Wait, media already alerted!

This is fauxtrageous...:eek:

Bottom line: It takes two to tango but the tune will likely be one without tax increases anywhere in the theme... Not enough votes in House or Senate to pass anything that will label them as "tax hikers" - be they D or R... Who the hell know what the final deal will be, but I don't think you'll be seeing any tax hikes included in it...

Most of these "politicians" aren't saying much of anything about plans...

Republicans Pressing for a Balanced Budget Fail to Deliver Details on How - Bloomberg

Congressional Republicans are clear in their demand for a constitutional amendment forcing the government to balance its budget. What they’re not offering is clarity on how to get there.

It’s politically popular to line up behind such an amendment; laying out specific cuts is less appealing.

Almost all Republicans and some Democrats will vote to alter the Constitution when the issue comes up as early as this week. Almost none, including a leading co-sponsor of the Senate measure, Orrin Hatch, and Bill Flores of Texas, a co-sponsor of the House measure, say how they’d slash Medicare, eliminate federal programs or shrink education, law enforcement or national defense. Republicans agree that tax increases shouldn’t be part of the equation.

A balanced-budget amendment would require cuts even deeper than those in the budget proposed by Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, which was approved by the Republican-controlled House in April. Ryan’s plan doesn’t balance the budget until 2040 and would leave a $338 billion deficit in 10 years.

Hatch, a Utah Republican facing re-election in 2012, wouldn’t offer specifics on entitlement cuts or say which federal departments he would close to reach a balanced budget.

“When the time comes, I’ll name them,” said Hatch. “I don’t want to do it right now, because we have to pass that amendment.”

Yeah. KInda reminds me of Barry Boy and his plan to cut entitlements. Of course he has no specifics yet but I'm sure he'll let us know in time. I haven't seen that in the press yet and I ain't holding my breath for it to be the hot topic on LSM.

Wonder if he'll count the 500B he took out of Medicare to fund his clusterfuck of a HC bill??

Last edited:
Yeah. KInda reminds me of Barry Boy and his plan to cut entitlements. Of course he has no specifics yet but I'm sure he'll let us know in time. I haven't seen that in the press yet and I ain't holding my breath for it to be the hot topic on LSM.

Wonder if he'll count the 500B he took out of Medicare to fund his clusterfuck of a HC bill??

Silly.. you have to pass the bill with the cuts, in order to see what's in it, remember?

Just like Obama and the dems "Standing Fast" on medicare and social security going after defense spending instead. Its all for the base at this point as we are in an election cycle (a whole year before elections, but with 24 hour news cycles this is what you get).

The concept of a balanced budget amendment would be to force legistators to live within the revenue they vote to pass. One would not expect ways of making it work until after is passed into law.

At that point keyesian economics would be dead at the federal level, at least as far as debt spending in times of recession.

For it to work, to me, would require rewriting the tax code to remove most of the deductions we currently have. This would allow proper gauging of how much we would have to tax people to fund the next years budget.

A balanced budget amendment would take years to pass enough state legislatures to become law. Whatever future Congresses and presidents think is the best way to raise revenues and spend it would be up to them. Kinda silly to be establishing details now for an economy that might be vastly different in the future.

I do think it's a dumb idea though, if our elected reps can't even come close to figuring out how to live within the means they have then we oughta vote the bastards out and get somebody in there who will.

Why spend years working on an amendment when all we really have to do is cut spending to the level it was in 2000. We would have an instant surplus.

A balanced budget amendment would take years to pass enough state legislatures to become law. Whatever future Congresses and presidents think is the best way to raise revenues and spend it would be up to them. Kinda silly to be establishing details now for an economy that might be vastly different in the future.

I do think it's a dumb idea though, if our elected reps can't even come close to figuring out how to live within the means they have then we oughta vote the bastards out and get somebody in there who will.

Congressmen are human, and given the opportunity to pass on a hard descison to someone else at a later time, most will do it. Borrowing can only be cured by stopping it, and the only way to stop it is an amendment preventing it.

Why spend years working on an amendment when all we really have to do is cut spending to the level it was in 2000. We would have an instant surplus.

Good luck getting anyone to do that without a gun to thier head. The gun would be an amendment.

Do you really believe those weasel politicians are going to vote on spending cuts without someone holding a gun to their heads?

what's wrong with submitting a bal. budget amend? with cuts and the addition of debt. ceiling money?

and if I recall the house did pass a budget?:eusa_eh:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back