Republicans oppose economic stimulus

It appears as if Republicans are against any attempt to revive the economy

Fed chairman gets letter from GOP leaders: No stimulus - Yahoo! Finance

We've had a trillion $$ of stimulus... and the economy is far worse.

Its quite obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of economics that less spending would have made the economy worse than it is now.

Because people can't spend on their own?? Government has to collect, tie up, waste, and then spend for them??

because the government spending money doesn't fix the economy, but the government taking less money from the people is a whole different story

Exactly HOW MANY jobs were created by extending the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy, err, I mean "job creators"?

I got a better question for you then 2000-2008 unemployment was between 4 and 6% ending at just under 5%. Within a year of obama being elected unemployment literally doubled and was further increased by 3% AFTER his first trillion dollar stimulus.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting a different result?

If you ad 2+2 and get 4 do you think the next time you try your gonna get 5?

Also to answer your first question after the bush tax cuts were passed in 2003 unemployment went from his career high of ~6% back down to 4.5%, even with only a small 4% tax cut to the upper bracket

Well, at least you got that part right. Japan did indeed go down this road - and they failed to arrest the housing collapse, failed to provide enough liquidity to the financial system and allowed a new equilibrium level of employment to take hold.

Let's hope we're smarter than Japan, huh?

They kept rates artificially low for years and rolled out stimulus after stimulus.

No, they kept rates too high initially and failed to arrest the housing collapse. That created a new equilibrium employment and output well below the previous, a state of affairs that some smart economist you might know predicted would occur.
The first step is getting rid of the undocumented worker in the White House.

Lol, Rabbi's a birther too! How precious.

I dont feel like dealing with your ignorant shit today. Go read this:
Japan Economy History
Note especially his points about financial distress, fiscal policy and monetary policy. Note where the debt to GDP has ended up in Japan.
That's where we're headed with Obama. Oh, have you seen his college transcripts? Nope, neither has anyone else. Undocumented.

because the government spending money doesn't fix the economy, but the government taking less money from the people is a whole different story

Exactly HOW MANY jobs were created by extending the Bush tax cuts on the wealthy, err, I mean "job creators"?

They weren't extended to create them; they were extended to prevent further losses.

because the government spending money doesn't fix the economy,

It did in the 40's

No, actually it didn't.
IN the war years we had a control economy where everything was rationed and people could not spend money. After the war people had lots of money saved up and lots of demand since they couldn't buy new cars, etc.
If you'd like to try rationing for a while, please have Obama run on that. He's tried every other failed economics program from the past 50 years, why not a page from Nixon?

They kept rates artificially low for years and rolled out stimulus after stimulus.

No, they kept rates too high initially and failed to arrest the housing collapse. That created a new equilibrium employment and output well below the previous, a state of affairs that some smart economist you might know predicted would occur.
The first step is getting rid of the undocumented worker in the White House.

Japan Economy History
Note especially his points about financial distress, fiscal policy and monetary policy. Note where the debt to GDP has ended up in Japan.
That's where we're headed with Obama. Oh, have you seen his college transcripts? Nope, neither has anyone else. Undocumented.

ah yes! Some random guy's powerpoint presenation! You're a peach, Rabbi. A complete fucking idiot, but a peach.

I notice you don't bother to challenge the fact that government spending only increased at about 2% per year, that the nation responded far too slowly to a housing collapse and that Japan kept interest rates too high - instead, you find some guy's powerpoint presentation and accept it as fact because, well....because it fits your preconceived notions hand-delivered to you by Fox news and Sean Hannity.

They weren't extended to create them; they were extended to prevent further losses.

Like i said after the cuts were passed unemployment dropped by 1.5%, and your right as unemployment stayed ~4% unill the end of his second term

But let's quote some of Rabbi's PPT:

"In hindsight, the Bank of Japan continued too long with tight
monetary policy and did not shift aggressively enough to monetary
easing after 1993, when its policy changed."

Hmm...where have I heard that before? Oh right, i said it! Just a couple posts ago!

Because people can't spend on their own??
Clearly not enough. The middle class and poor are running out of money and the rich refuse to invest in more jobs.

If i had millions in my pocket to invest right now, I'd either:

A - Sit on it until the government gets over the crisis

or

B - invest in a stable foreign country

It's not being unpatriotic, but being intelligent. These people made millions for a reason.

hmmm....

The Bank of Japan not only imposed tight monetary policy for too
long a period of time in the early 1990s, but it also failed to
prevent disinflation from becoming deflation.

Thanks for providing proof of my statements, Rabbi.

Japan Economy History

ah yes! Some random guy's powerpoint presenation! You're a peach, Rabbi. A complete fucking idiot, but a peach.

I notice you don't bother to challenge the fact that government spending only increased at about 2% per year, that the nation responded far too slowly to a housing collapse and that Japan kept interest rates too high - instead, you find some guy's powerpoint presentation and accept it as fact because, well....because it fits your preconceived notions hand-delivered to you by Fox news and Sean Hannity.

Go ahead an point out all the fallacies in his presentation. Cite sources. Preferably in Japanese.

Because people can't spend on their own??
Clearly not enough. The middle class and poor are running out of money and the rich refuse to invest in more jobs.

or

It's not being unpatriotic, but being intelligent. These people made millions for a reason.

Very few stable foreign countries left

Japan Economy History

Go ahead an point out all the fallacies in his presentation. Cite sources. Preferably in Japanese.

Fallacies? He proves my point! Thanks.

But of course, he provides no sources. You just hoped no one would actually read it - or you were too stupid to understand what you read.

or

Very few stable foreign countries left

I'd invest in china. They have flat tax rates (15% for businesses) Almost no red tape or regulations, and hold the majority of the US's bonds and if you've been wondering where all the US companies are outsourcing, It's mostly china.

Forum List

Back