ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Senate bill seeks to curb college vote :: WRAL.com

Senate bill seeks to curb college vote

By Laura Leslie

Posted: April 3

Tags: Elections

Raleigh, N.C. — A bill filed in the state Senate Tuesday would carry a tax penalty for parents whose children register to vote at their college address.

Senate Bill 667, known as "Equalize Voter Rights," would remove the tax exemption for dependents who register to vote at any address other than their parents' home.

"If the voter is a dependent of the voter's parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for state income tax purposes," the bill says.

The measure would affect only state income tax, so it wouldn't have much effect on out-of-state students. But it could effectively cut student voting in counties like Watauga and Orange, where college voters have been a key part of the Democratic Party's dominance.

The bill would also require voters to have their vehicles registered at the same address as their voter registration. That also could cut down on college student registration, since many students maintain their vehicle registration in their home counties.

talk

New Hampshire House Speaker William O’Brien, a Republican, told a tea party group that allowing people to register and vote on Election Day led to “the kids coming out of the schools and basically doing what I did when I was a kid, which is voting as a liberal. That’s what kids do — they don’t have life experience, and they just vote their feelings.”
Read more: Students hit by voter ID restrictions - Emily Schultheis - POLITICO.com

Cant allow that huh?

On the positive side, it's refreshing to see Republicans openly stating that the reason they want to suppress the vote is because it disagrees with their agenda.

Senate bill seeks to curb college vote :: WRAL.com

Senate bill seeks to curb college vote

By Laura Leslie

Posted: April 3

Tags: Elections

Raleigh, N.C. — A bill filed in the state Senate Tuesday would carry a tax penalty for parents whose children register to vote at their college address.

Senate Bill 667, known as "Equalize Voter Rights," would remove the tax exemption for dependents who register to vote at any address other than their parents' home.

"If the voter is a dependent of the voter's parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for state income tax purposes," the bill says.

The measure would affect only state income tax, so it wouldn't have much effect on out-of-state students. But it could effectively cut student voting in counties like Watauga and Orange, where college voters have been a key part of the Democratic Party's dominance.

The bill would also require voters to have their vehicles registered at the same address as their voter registration. That also could cut down on college student registration, since many students maintain their vehicle registration in their home counties.

talk

Uhh.. how can you claim someone as a dependent for taxes if that person is legally registered as living outside of the household??

And God forbid if they have their registered address the same as their drivers license :rolleyes:

Accurancy is important when registering. I realize the liberals want anyone to be able to vote, no questions asked, but we do need to protect the sanctity of our voting process by ensuring people follow a few rules to make sure they are properly registered.

Funny I haven't heard any liberals bitch about the hoops people will be required to jump through to get healthcare insurance. I suppose since that is a liberal thing, it's okay. We have to prove everything for Obamacare. The IRS and Homeland Security are invovled in implementing the disaster of a law.

On the positive side, it's refreshing to see Republicans openly stating that the reason they want to suppress the vote is because it disagrees with their agenda.

Nobody is saying to suppress the vote of any legal citizen eligible to vote... but nice misrepresentation yet again

If you want to be considered a dependent of a household, it is your legal address... when you are living on your own, in a separate domicile, you are not a dependent... but nothing is stopping you from voting if you are registered at home as a dependent or at your dorm or apartment...

Shhh... don't tell closedmind that.. it goes against his agenda

Yes, the voting agenda oh no!

No... the misrepresentation of anything said or done by republicans in order for you to have some channel to bash... that agenda of yours

Ok so instead of crying about it heres your chance to correct the misrepresentation

New Hampshire House Speaker William O’Brien, a Republican, told a tea party group that allowing people to register and vote on Election Day led to “the kids coming out of the schools and basically doing what I did when I was a kid, which is voting as a liberal. That’s what kids do — they don’t have life experience, and they just vote their feelings.”

Go head tell everyone what he really meant Dave

Last edited:

No... the misrepresentation of anything said or done by republicans in order for you to have some channel to bash... that agenda of yours

Ok so instead of crying about it hears your chance to correct the misrepresentation

Who gives a fuck about the story he spouted...???

He don't want kids to vote liberal.. and he's a REP... oh, what a shock!!! Stop the presses!!! :rolleyes:

Your misrepresentation of the actions listed in the bill are already pointed out

I think if you're on any form of federal welfare you shouldn't be allowed to vote for any federal office.

There is a reason most business owners vote conservative while students vote liberal... One pays bill the other lives off creating more debt.

Really you derived that from where?

How is this suppressing any votes?? just saying it does is a big fail,so try in an adult fashion,
detail how it keeps anyone responsible person from voting.

As far as I know all states require you to vote in the district where your legal residence is. If a student claims the college as a temporary residence they should not be allowed to vote there. With all the early voting days available and absentee ballots there is no reason they can't vote where their permanent residence is. This is just more lib BS,

Ok so instead of crying about it hears your chance to correct the misrepresentation

Well lets look,NY as a liberal state as you can get, states you must be registered 30 days before an election,and a legal resident at that address.

Some form of order should be wanted,but for the perpetual blubberer's this doesn't matter.

As far as I know all states require you to vote in the district where your legal residence is. If a student claims the college as a temporary residence they should not be allowed to vote there. With all the early voting days available and absentee ballots there is no reason they can't vote where their permanent residence is. This is just more lib BS,

Bingo

Who gives a fuck about the story he spouted...???

He don't want kids to vote liberal.. and he's a REP... oh, what a shock!!! Stop the presses!!! :rolleyes:

Your misrepresentation of the actions listed in the bill are already pointed out

Which one is it Dave did I misrepresent him and you cried about it or you don't care about it and cried about misrepresentation just because you needed a good cry?

Forum List

Back