Republicans never learn

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
We shoot ourselves in the foot every time we try to "fix" some problem with our Elections.

After FDR the Republicans were hot to trot to limit Presidents to 2 terms.... That worked out so well. After Florida in 2000 and the democrats whining like cats stuck on an electric wire the republicans helped fund new machines.... and for the effort are now accused of "stealing" elections with electronic vote machines.

Now this... All that will happen if we start awarding districts to local winners is that Congress will be selecting our President and Vice President when no one has enough electoral votes to win.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_el_ge/california_votes

And yes it has happened before. I believe John Quincy Adams was made President when the Electoral College could not get enough votes for the contenders. As I recall Andrew Jackson had the lead in electoral votes but Adams was well known in Congress and had more allies there.

First of all, whats so bad about this?

Second of all, how do you suppose Congress would have to step in?

It's a simple process...people cast a ballot, and that ballot gets counted by someone. We don't need machines to do that for us. In a case like this, I'm sure there would be a PLETHORA of people willing to come to each district and hand count the ballots FOR FREE, just to make sure that everything is being done fairly.

Why would ANYONE want our electoral process handed over to machines whose software is created by one specific corporation?

I don't give a fuck HOW much the technological age progresses in this country, the electoral process should never be outsourced to corporate america. It's ridiculous.

There's a REASON why 1/3 of the eligible voters in the US don't participate in elections, especially the election for our PRESIDENT...and it's probably got a HELL of a lot to do with the electoral process as it is. Diebold voting machines certainly haven't seemed to make voters feel any more comfortable.

First of all, whats so bad about this?

Second of all, how do you suppose Congress would have to step in?

It's a simple process...people cast a ballot, and that ballot gets counted by someone. We don't need machines to do that for us. In a case like this, I'm sure there would be a PLETHORA of people willing to come to each district and hand count the ballots FOR FREE, just to make sure that everything is being done fairly.

Because humans are more error prone than machines.

Why would ANYONE want our electoral process handed over to machines whose software is created by one specific corporation?

I don't give a fuck HOW much the technological age progresses in this country, the electoral process should never be outsourced to corporate america. It's ridiculous.

It's just a machine. A machine doesn't have some nefarious agenda to get a specific person elected. Ah but your worried some evil doer in corporate america rigging them beforehand. So test 'em out. Admit it. It isn't the technology you're afraid of. It's some laughable conspiracy.

There's a REASON why 1/3 of the eligible voters in the US don't participate in elections, especially the election for our PRESIDENT...and it's probably got a HELL of a lot to do with the electoral process as it is. Diebold voting machines certainly haven't seemed to make voters feel any more comfortable.

You're out to lunch if you think a third of the nation didn't vote because thery're so tuned in to the politcal process that they were worried about voting machine error or that they're disenfranchised with the electoral college. A third of the country didn't vote because a third of the country doesn't care enough to vote. it's that simple.

Because humans are more error prone than machines.

But you can double check a human. Unverified voting should be appalling to all of us... but for some reason the right has a pathological aversion to being able to double check.

It's just a machine. A machine doesn't have some nefarious agenda to get a specific person elected. Ah but your worried some evil doer in corporate america rigging them beforehand. So test 'em out. Admit it. It isn't the technology you're afraid of. It's some laughable conspiracy.

Actually, there's nothing laughable about it. Diebold swore to a republican gathering that he would make sure Ohio went to Bush..... comments like that are designed to instigate distrust... particularly where there's already a level of distrust.

As to all of the errors the machines made, I'd suggest that you actually look into the subject instead of dismissing it out of hand.

You're out to lunch if you think a third of the nation didn't vote because thery're so tuned in to the politcal process that they were worried about voting machine error or that they're disenfranchised with the electoral college. A third of the country didn't vote because a third of the country doesn't care enough to vote. it's that simple.

And they got what they deserved....... a president who can't put two thoughts together extemporaneously.

But you can double check a human. Unverified voting should be appalling to all of us... but for some reason the right has a pathological aversion to being able to double check.

Actually, there's nothing laughable about it. Diebold swore to a republican gathering that he would make sure Ohio went to Bush..... comments like that are designed to instigate distrust... particularly where there's already a level of distrust.

As to all of the errors the machines made, I'd suggest that you actually look into the subject instead of dismissing it out of hand.

And they got what they deserved....... a president who can't put two thoughts together extemporaneously.

Yup, the poor innocent liberals, all they wanted was the same system we had in Florida in 2000..... Ohh wait... whats that? A President so SMART he managed to lie to the entire Country and take us to war BUT too dumb to remember how he did it.

There will always be these conspiracy theories that the Dems were robbed out of the last 2 elections because of faulty machines, counting errors...ect. They absolutely have no merit and I dismiss them outright when I see them in these political forums.

To our bleeding heart liberals who can't get over the defeat of the last 2 POTUS elections, this smiley is for you. :eusa_boohoo:

We shoot ourselves in the foot every time we try to "fix" some problem with our Elections.

After FDR the Republicans were hot to trot to limit Presidents to 2 terms.... That worked out so well. After Florida in 2000 and the democrats whining like cats stuck on an electric wire the republicans helped fund new machines.... and for the effort are now accused of "stealing" elections with electronic vote machines.

Now this... All that will happen if we start awarding districts to local winners is that Congress will be selecting our President and Vice President when no one has enough electoral votes to win.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_el_ge/california_votes

And yes it has happened before. I believe John Quincy Adams was made President when the Electoral College could not get enough votes for the contenders. As I recall Andrew Jackson had the lead in electoral votes but Adams was well known in Congress and had more allies there.

I don't know what it takes to get Republicans to figure out that no matter what they do, the left-wingnut nazi's will villify it.

There will always be these conspiracy theories that the Dems were robbed out of the last 2 elections because of faulty machines, counting errors...ect. They absolutely have no merit and I dismiss them outright when I see them in these political forums.

To our bleeding heart liberals who can't get over the defeat of the last 2 POTUS elections, this smiley is for you. :eusa_boohoo:

The best part about this stupid ass post you just made, is that there's plenty of people who don't even GIVE a fuck about left or right, liberal or conservative. The system is fucked REGARDLESS of partisan politics.

But you go ahead and spin it all you want. It's the same tired spin the mainstream media's been using for decades.

Forum List

Back