Republicans make helping people to register to vote a "felony"

R

rdean

Hinkle said the law and state regulations implementing it "impose burdensome record-keeping and reporting requirements that serve little if any purpose, thus rendering them unconstitutional."

News Headlines

Wow, unconstitutional? Who knew? Republicans, "Oh, we just don't want dead people to vote". Fucking liars.

Florida Voter Registration

See, what started it was this one high school teacher who, every year, registers her of age seniors to vote as part of her "government history" class. This year, when she did what she had been doing for years, Republicans threatened to charge her with a "felony". A "felony" for voter registration? A FUCKING FELONY?????????????????

And Republicans say it isn't about VOTER SUPPRESSION?

A FUCKING FELONY???????????????? REALLY? A FELONY?????????????

Hinkle said the law and state regulations implementing it "impose burdensome record-keeping and reporting requirements that serve little if any purpose, thus rendering them unconstitutional."

News Headlines

Wow, unconstitutional? Who knew? Republicans, "Oh, we just don't want dead people to vote". Fucking liars.

See, what started it was this one high school teacher who, every year, registers her of age seniors to vote as part of her "government history" class. This year, when she did what she had been doing for years, Republicans threatened to charge her with a "felony". A "felony" for voter registration? A FUCKING FELONY?????????????????

Sorry can you point me to the article where R's threatened this teacher? Or did she come to a realization that registering kids to vote no longer complies with state law like the article says.

CaféAuLait;5374195 said:

News Headlines

Sorry can you point me to the article where R's threatened this teacher? Or did she come to a realization that registering kids to vote no longer complies with state law like the article says.

No, she was actually fined $1000 dollars for it.

Still not a felony, but not nothing either.

If republicans support a photo I.D. it must mean that they are trying to keep dead people from voting. The left is becoming unhinged.

Why the fuck should you be able to register someone else to vote?

Can you open a checking account in their name?

Can you order a credit card in someone else's name?

If you can't muster the effort to register yourself you SHOULDN'T Vote.

It's that fucking simple

Voter registration drives are as American as apple pie - until wingnuts decided the drives were registering too many Democrats to vote.

what kids need to vote anyway? If you are eligible to vote, you aren't kids.

Huh?

The OP is pretty clear that she registers of-age high school seniors...

I dont think my point is really that difficult. I think it's inappropriate to call people kids when they are clearly adults, legally if not mentally.

CaféAuLait;5374195 said:

News Headlines

No she was not fined a dime.

State officials are reviewing the case; they've issued only warnings since the law took effect in July, with no incident rising to the level where fines had to be assessed.

The articles say she could be fined if she does not comply with the new law. I can't find a single article stating she was fined, just she could face fines if she does not comply.

Jill Cicciarelli | Florida Public Employees

Senator steps in over voting law, teacher's plight - News

It's that fucking simple

You can't "register" someone to vote without they themselves actually filling the card out.

The term "voter registration" usually refers to handing out registration cards, and mailing them in.

CaféAuLait;5374595 said:
CaféAuLait;5374195 said:

State officials are reviewing the case; they've issued only warnings since the law took effect in July, with no incident rising to the level where fines had to be assessed.

The articles say she could be fined if she does not comply with the new law. I can't find a single article stating she was fined, just she could face fines if she does not comply.

Eh, I'm not 100% sure.

One of the articles I read said that she was "facing $1000 in fines". I don't know exactly what they meant by that.

It's that fucking simple

You can't "register" someone to vote without they themselves actually filling the card out.

The term "voter registration" usually refers to handing out registration cards, and mailing them in.

I think part of the misunderstanding is coming from RDeans OP where he states she was registering kids to vote.

I could be wrong though.

Ah, so just a question of semantics.

You may see it that way, but I think the words we use are important. How we frame the discussion is important.

Personally, Im not sure why any adults would be unable to register to vote as long as they know where to go and can fill out an application. And if they can't, the have much more serious problems than whether they can vote.

You may see it that way, but I think the words we use are important. How we frame the discussion is important.

Personally, Im not sure why any adults would be unable to register to vote as long as they know where to go and can fill out an application. And if they can't, the have much more serious problems than whether they can vote.

I'm confident that any of those students are completely capable of walking to the Post Office and registering to vote themselves. Is there any reason why they shouldn't be encouraged and helped to do so?

CaféAuLait;5374595 said:

Eh, I'm not 100% sure.

One of the articles I read said that she was "facing $1000 in fines". I don't know exactly what they meant by that.

Yes, I saw that too. But they all say 'could' or "might if".

But what began as a routine exercise in democracy could result in Cicciarelli facing thousands of dollars in fines for violating a new state law that needlessly complicates voter registration.

Promoting civic involvement shouldn't be a crime - Tampa Bay Times

I'm confident that any of those students are completely capable of walking to the Post Office and registering to vote themselves. Is there any reason why they shouldn't be encouraged and helped to do so?

I realize that not all kids have drivers licenses or state ID, but are most other states like the ones I lived in where you check a box when getting your drivers license if you want to vote?

Nope.

Forum List

Back