Republicans Let Down America On Automaker Bailout

The Senate Republicans failed America again in their obstruction on the U.S. automaker
bridge loan legislation, they again twisted their conservative ideals to seek political advantage on a matter of vital importance to America. The Democrat’s and the White House’s plan was a great plan which would have created enormous and almost certainly compelling pressure on the U.S. automakers to restructure and become long-term viable. The Republican senators’ insistence that the UAW “immediately” accept the same compensation terms as foreign automakers workers was unreasonable, unwarranted and arbitrary and so was the Republican senators’ insistence that U.S. automakers “immediately” reduce their debt by two-thirds. The Republican senators turned this whole matter into a competition and not a matter where the American people’s interest were being best served. The three to four dollar difference in U.S. automaker workers wages over foreign automakers wages was not sufficient enough to justify blocking this rescue plan for the U.S. automakers, with respect to health insurance the UAW absolutely needed to dramatically improve the co-pay terms of the plan and dramatically improve the percentage of the premiums they pay to make their insurance plan a mainstream type but a requirement to convert to foreign automaker workers high deductable insurance plan was totally uncalled for; these high deductable insurance plans are better than nothing for workers faced with the option of having no health insurance but these high deductable plans from a practicable standpoint result in people not seeing doctors when they should where serious health problems can be picked up - a plan to put the American people into high deductable health insurance coverage is a plan which fails the American people. A requirement the U.S. automakers “immediately” reduce their debt by two-thirds was wrong because it was unrealistic for the debt amounts at issue here are tens of billions of dollars the respective parties need to be given some months to work out a cut in the debt load in that general amount. The republican senators should have agreed to kick all these issues to the U.S. automaker czar, the legislation would have created, who could have handled all these matters in a reasonable and professional matter and satisfactorily protected the American people’s interests.

This whole matter involving Republican grand standing here smells. It sure seems that Republican senators have two standards one for their allies in the financial industries and another for ordinary working people where initiatives helping ordinary working people are held to a higher conservative principles standard. I haven’t seen Republican senators grand standing over the stupid costly course taken by the U.S. government to retire AIG’s swaps where the U.S. government allowed the swap counterparties to retain the $15 billion dollars of collateral on the swaps if they agreed to cancel the swaps even though the U.S. government bought the underlying securities for the swaps at face value (the government should have just traded equivalent Treasury bonds for the underlying securities and had a law passed just voiding the swaps as unnecessary). The U.S. government has engaged in a cluster foul-up with the Freddie and Fannie bail out, instead of just backing the Fannie and Freddie debt for a time like an abundance of experts called for which would have dramatically increased Fannie and Freddie profit margins, the government has gone on this buying spree of hundreds of billions of dollar of Fannie and Freddie debt which more likely than not will “not” save the U.S. government from having to come in and loan these GSEs’ tens of billions of dollars to remain solvent. Furthermore, the Senate Republicans have obviously with their behavior on this issue forgot to remember how terrible stewards they were with U.S. taxpayers money when they were in power in Congress during the first six years of the Bush Administration, they have no business making their pompous, arrogant and irresponsible grandstanding.

The Republican senators say the answer to the auto industry dilemma is to have a prepackaged bankruptcy, in and out of bankruptcy fast. Common sense would indicate unless they can get in and out of bankruptcy in a week, their reputation with consumers is going to be severely hurt. Moreover, and this is a galactically size moreover, there is no time to negotiate a prepackaged bankruptcy. GM is burning through cash they will run out by the end of this month and have to enter bankruptcy, by the end of this month one couldn’t even acquire a list of all the requirements of all GM’s creditors for them to agree to sacrifice their interests so GM could exit bankruptcy. This pre-packaged bankruptcy idea is a wolf in sheep’s clothing idea it’s a plan to at best imprudently down size the U.S auto industry.

The U.S. automaker bailout has always been about jobs and saving an important manufacturing segment of the U.S. economy. If the U.S. automakers go into bankruptcy and if one U.S automaker goes into bankruptcy they all will, at best it will result in the downsizing of the industry where the US auto industry will long-term look like an industry that directly employs 150,000 people instead of the 300,000 plus people which is readily achievable if the U.S. government comes through with the $35 to 40 billion the industry is asking for as bridge loans. The Republican members of the U.S. Senate have failed to learn their lesson they have to start caring about the middle class and working people, it is not acceptable that they not learn this lesson. The American people will not forget the Republican senators’ crucial failure here.

Horsefeathers. The US auto industry has struggled since the 70s. This bailout SHOULD be sharply defined and hold people accountable. That way when they come crawling next year with their hands out, they can be held accountable for their actions.

Some of you people need to wake up. The US makes an inferior product and has a MUCH higher overhead. There's a surprise here? Let them reap what they have sown. If they wanted to compete they would.

If our government wants to bail out the US auto industry they need to reimpose excessive import tariffs on foreign cars, and any cars manufactured in this nation by foreign carmakers.

That would piss off their lobbyists and screw their own pocketbooks so you just figure the odds of it happening.

the last time I bought an American car was 1985,, won't ever happen again,, and my word of mouth can influence a lot of other people,, cause after all I'm a southern bitch!! :lol::lol::eusa_pray::eusa_pray:

I can happily report that the 3 Saturns I owned through the 1990s ran like a top. I drove the last one for 160,000 miles + and it is was still running fine, it only used tires and brakes. It had no resale value. Carmax offered $450....:lol: So I kept it and my daughter totaled it. Cullegan van vs. Saturn....:eek: But she walked away.

I currently have a Mercury Monterrey. I've had it for 5 years now. Runs fine. No problems.

I can happily report that the 3 Saturns I owned through the 1990s ran like a top. I drove the last one for 160,000 miles + and it is was still running fine, it only used tires and brakes. It had no resale value. Carmax offered $450....:lol: So I kept it and my daughter totaled it. Cullegan van vs. Saturn....:eek: But she walked away.

I currently have a Mercury Monterrey. I've had it for 5 years now. Runs fine. No problems.

my 1985 car was a Cougar.. Damn fine car when she wasn't in the shop.. last V8 I had.. it was beautiful too.

Horsefeathers. The US auto industry has struggled since the 70s. This bailout SHOULD be sharply defined and hold people accountable. That way when they come crawling next year with their hands out, they can be held accountable for their actions.

Some of you people need to wake up. The US makes an inferior product and has a MUCH higher overhead. There's a surprise here? Let them reap what they have sown. If they wanted to compete they would.

If our government wants to bail out the US auto industry they need to reimpose excessive import tariffs on foreign cars, and any cars manufactured in this nation by foreign carmakers.

That would piss off their lobbyists and screw their own pocketbooks so you just figure the odds of it happening.

You act like the auto industry has struggled non stop since the 70's. They were profitable for many of those years. They were profitable in 1999. Then, well, you won't believe me if I told you what happened.

Are we holding the banks accountable for the first $250 billion we have given them? They've been struggling since the 70's too. At least since the 80's when they Keating 5 thing happened. Yet here we are again, bailing them out, not asking them for transparency or accountability.

Ok, the rest I agree with you. So you must be wrong! LOL.

PS. Microsoft builds an Operating sytem that they know will be obsolite in a few years. They do that because they want to sell us something in a couple years. So one day we'll sell them out to China, who doesn't even have to follow patent/copywright laws. They'll build it better and cheaper.

my 1985 car was a Cougar.. Damn fine car when she wasn't in the shop.. last V8 I had.. it was beautiful too.

And now you are a Cougar. Isn't that ironic?

An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.
That cougar I met last night, showed me shit I didn't know existed, I'm goin back for more.

And now you are a Cougar. Isn't that ironic?

An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her shit together.
That cougar I met last night, showed me shit I didn't know existed, I'm goin back for more.

methinks yer azz has lost his arguement.. damn fine day sealybobo damn fine day.. I'm gonna let my hubby take me out to dinner tonight in my fine Toyota,,, :lol::lol: poor poor bobo..

You act like the auto industry has struggled non stop since the 70's. They were profitable for many of those years. They were profitable in 1999. Then, well, you won't believe me if I told you what happened.

Are we holding the banks accountable for the first $250 billion we have given them? They've been struggling since the 70's too. At least since the 80's when they Keating 5 thing happened. Yet here we are again, bailing them out, not asking them for transparency or accountability.

Ok, the rest I agree with you. So you must be wrong! LOL.

PS. Microsoft builds an Operating sytem that they know will be obsolite in a few years. They do that because they want to sell us something in a couple years. So one day we'll sell them out to China, who doesn't even have to follow patent/copywright laws. They'll build it better and cheaper.

Wow. In 1999 huh? Out of 40 years? Good deal.

Everything we buy is subject to becomming obsolete the next day. I used to have 8 tracks, dude, not to mention vinyl 45s and 33s, and everything except a beta max in between. Progress happens. Whether or not we'll be sold out on that too remains to be seen. If MS can make more money selling it themselves, they will.

I know you do. That's why Tupac wrote a song about you:

You wonda why they call U bitch
You wonda why they call U bitch.

Verse One: 2Pac

Look here Miss Thang
hate to salt your game
but yous a money hungry woman
and you need to change.

In tha locker room
all the homies do is laugh.
High five's cuz anotha nigga
played your ass.

It was said you were sleeezy
even easy
sleepin around for what
you need

See it's your thang
and you can shake it how you wanna.
Give it up free
or make your money on the corner.

But don't be bad and play the game
get mad and change.
Then you wonda why these muthafuckas
call you names.

Still lookin' for a way out
and that's OK
I can see you wanna stray
there's a way out.

Keep your mind on your money,
enroll in school.
And as the years pass by
you can show them fools.

But you ain't tryin' to hear me
cuz your stuck,
you're headin' for the bathroom
'bout to get tossed up.

Still lookin' for a rich man
you dug a ditch,
got your legs up
tryin' to get rich.

I love you like a sista
but you need to switch
and that's why they called
U bitch, I betcha.

Chorus

Verse Two: 2Pac

You leave your kids with your mama
cuz your headin' for the club
in a skin tight miniskirt
lookin' for some love.

Got them legs wide open
while you're sittin' at the bar
Talkin' to some nigga
'bout his car.

I guess he said he
had a Lexxxus, what's next?
You headin' to his car for some sex

I pass by
can't hold back tears inside
cuz, lord knows
for years I tried.

And all the other people
on my block hate your guts
Then you wonda why they stare
and call you slut.

It's like your mind don't understand
you don't have to kill your
dreams ploten'
schemes on a man

Keep your head up, legs closed, eyes open
either a nigga wear a rubber or he die smokin'
I'm hearin' rumors so you need to switch
and niggas wouldn't call you bitch, I betcha.

Chorus

Verse Three: 2Pac

I guess times gettin' hard
even harder for you
cuz, hey now, got a baby
on the way now

More money from the county
and thanks to the welfare
you're about to
get your hair done.

Got a dinner date
can't be late
trick or treat, sweet thang
got anotha trick to meet.

The way he did it
it was smooth
plottin' while he gamin' you
So baby, peep tha rules.

I shoulda seen it in the first case
the worst case
I shoulda never called you back
in the first place.

I remember back in high school
baby you was fast
straight sex
and barely move your ass.

But now things change
cuz you don't look the same
let the ghetto get the best of you
baby, that's a shame

Caught HIV and now you 'bout to be deceased
and finally be in peace.

So where your niggas at now
cuz everybody left
they stepped
and left you on your own

See I loved you like a sista
but you died to quick
And that's why we called U bitch, I betcha.

Chorus

Outro: 2Pac

Dear Ms. Deloris Tucker
keep stressen me
fuckin' with a muthafucken mind
I figured you wanted to know
you know
why we call them hos bitches
and maybe this might help you understand
it ain't personal
strictly business baby
strictly business

So If you wonder why we call U bitch
You wonder why we call U bitch
If you wonder why we call U bitch
You wonder why we call U bitch

Stop trolling. Address the topic please.

Forum List

Back