Republicans left a message at King Middle School in Portland

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
Republicans left a message at King Middle School in Portland | The Forecaster
PORTLAND — Students in King Middle School's "Four Freedoms" learning expedition are getting a first-hand education in free speech after last weekend's state Republican convention.

While the convention was held at the Portland Expo, GOP organizations from Maine's 16 counties were each given private meeting spaces in King classrooms.

One of those classrooms is run by Paul Clifford, an eighth-grade social studies teacher, who said he was surprised when he returned to the room on Monday to find that a poster celebrating the labor movement had been removed and replaced with a Republican sticker.

The poster had the following quote from union leader Eugine Debs: "Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."

"In it's place was a large sticker that said 'Workers Vote Republican,'" Clifford said. "I thought it was cute until I realized the poster was gone. We can't find it and it hasn't been returned."

The amusement further diminished when Clifford found a note on his desk.

"(It) said 'A Republican was here," Clifford said. "And then it said, 'What gives you the right to propagandize impressionable kids. A Republician.'"

The note was an apparent reaction to several student-made collages in the classroom, Clifford said – personal expressions related to a specific expedition.

Clifford said the classroom was used by the Knox County Republicans, the group largely credited with convincing the state party to adopt a platform calling for abolition of the Federal Reserve and Department of Education, and closing the nation's borders.

Clifford said he was further surprised when some Knox County Republicans called the school to complain about the collages and copies of the U.S. Constitution in his classroom. The documents were donated by the American Civil Liberties Union, and contained a special section on Miranda Rights. They were stored in a closed box on the floor.

"We allowed someone to use our building. They came in and searched our stuff. Stole a poster. Left our building trashed. And then called us to complain about what they found when they searched our house," Clifford said.

Discuss.

My sons girlfriend had a gov teacher in high school that refused to allow anything but republican posters on her wall during the 2004 election.

She actively admonished the kids if they spoke about the other candidates kindly.

republicans seem to have a real unfair streak in them.

My sons girlfriend had a gov teacher in high school that refused to allow anything but republican posters on her wall during the 2004 election.

She actively admonished the kids if they spoke about the other candidates kindly.

They like to talk about free speech..But they try to deny it to people who disagree with them.

Right... and I couldn't say one thing bad thing about Obama during the '08 Election without everybody who supported him telling me I'm a Racist and to shut up.

Either way.. any sort of "Silencing" is wrong..

Last edited:

Right, and I couldn't say one thing bad thing about Obama during the '08 Election without everybody who supported him telling me I'm a Racist and to shut up.

Agreed. I know honorable people who in no way shape or form are racist but oppose President Obama. While I think they are mislead, I would never accuse them of racism based on the premise of them not supporting President Obama. Heck, I don't support Steele but I'm sure as hell not a racist.

Glad to see a righty condemn this act rather than jump around the issue. I have noticed you do that a lot..While I disagree with you on a host of issues, I appreciate your willingness to actually respond to the point of a thread.

how do you know it was one of the people in the meeting ... it could have been the teacher trying to make republicans look bad .... it could have been a student....it could have been anyone....

Right... and I couldn't say one thing bad thing about Obama during the '08 Election without everybody who supported him telling me I'm a Racist and to shut up.

did you think of any "good things" to say?

how do you know it was one of the people in the meeting ... it could have been the teacher trying to make republicans look bad .... it could have been a student....it could have been anyone....

It easily could have been any of them. It's still lame propaganda.

It could have been a blood filled tick. But it probably wasn't.

did you think of any "good things" to say?

This, and That.

You are such a lying hag.
:lol:

It was wrong of the republicans to mess with that guys classroom.

Make them write, "I will not mess with other people's stuff" 200 times

And then tell that teacher to get a life.

It was wrong of the republicans to mess with that guys classroom.

Make them write, "I will not mess with other people's stuff" 200 times

And then tell that teacher to get a life.

So if he complains about stuff being stolen he has no life?

So I'm assuming you support what this person did? Interesting.

Wow. So the fact that I think the propaganda is incredibly stupid means that I, of course, fully support it.

My criticism was about you being victims.

So reporting the news = propaganda? :eusa_eh:

So are you arguing the teacher wasn't victim to his free speech being silenced?

there's no free speech in the workplace, ergo there is no free speech issue involved here, spanky.

you really should understand the terms you use before you use them.

:thup:

Forum List

Back