Republicans Keep Cutting Social Programs and Education to Pay For...

In Kentucky where they have cut education and medicare:
$43 million tax break approved for Ark Encounter theme park

In New Jersey where Christie is decimating School funding:
Christie Bails Out ‘American Dream’ Mall With $400 Million

In Ohio where Gov Kasich is cutting education and children's health:
Gaming Expert to Make $15 Million from State

In Texas where they are dealing with a record budget deficit and potentially laying of thousands and thousands of teachers:
Texas Taxpayers Finance Formula One Auto Races as Schools Dismiss Teachers

Republicans are showing us time and time again that they don't give a tinker's damn about the American people and only care about furthering corporate interests (and padding their own pockets)

I'm not reading this entire thread but would like to point out to RDean junior here that BOTH parties have their pet projects that they wish to fund at the expense of other worthy causes. Why s/he feels the need to pretend like it is only party is beyond me.

Laying off teachers and increasing class sizes are a stupid way to fix the problem.

Indeed. It indicates that conservatives in particular and the public who vote for rightists in general place very little value in education.

It will eventually be our undoing.

As a conservative who has read a few of your posts on this board I would compare my educational levels to yours any day bub.

Laying off teachers and increasing class sizes are a stupid way to fix the problem.

Indeed. It indicates that conservatives in particular and the public who vote for rightists in general place very little value in education.

This is hardly a partisan issue, although tools like yourself will always try to make one out of everything. It's usually the superintendents who make the decisions as to who gets laid off and that's what makes your accusation a bit silly considering the majority of "educators" are Democrats.

We used to do it like Finland. We used to not have such a drastic disparity between, say, what a lawyer makes and what a teacher makes. Finland recruits the TOP graduates to become teachers and PAYS them accordingly. We don't.

You're delusional. In the past teachers made even less than they do now.

Liberal ideology is based mostly on a fantastical understanding of the past.

Perhaps this bitterness of yours regarding public school education is because you feel your own was inadequate? Read what I wrote again...carefully this time. Sound out each word.

I said that there did not used to be such a huge disparity in what a lawyer is paid and what a teacher is paid.

For example, in 1970, the initial pay gap between a lawyer starting at a good law firm and a teacher at a public school was about $2,000. Today, it's more than $100,000.

Link: Closing the talent gap: Attracting and retaining top third graduates to a career in teaching

In Texas where they are dealing with a record budget deficit and potentially laying of thousands and thousands of teachers:

Republicans are showing us time and time again that they don't give a tinker's damn about the American people and only care about furthering corporate interests (and padding their own pockets)

I'm not reading this entire thread but would like to point out to RDean junior here that BOTH parties have their pet projects that they wish to fund at the expense of other worthy causes. Why s/he feels the need to pretend like it is only party is beyond me.

So feel free to provide them...or start your own thread. Too much work? Easier to say "he does it too, neener, neener!"?

The United States of America spends more on public education than any other nation in the world, with poor results to show for it. Schools are awash in cash; they just don't spend it on the classroom.

Furthermore, the biggest problem with public education in this country is not and never has been money. It's cultural.

Ever see "Waiting for Superman"? Too many union teachers are bad and need to be laid off. We're wasting way too much money on education and getting a poor return, look at the US compared to other countries' education systems as proof. The US is about 23rd and dropping. Stop wasting our money.

As for the GOP, they suck about as much as the dems, both parties protect their cash cows. Remember how the economy got fucked-up? The dems cash cows' Fannie & Freddie were at fault.

110505_cartoon_600.jpg

Perhaps this bitterness of yours regarding public school education is because you feel your own was inadequate? Read what I wrote again...carefully this time. Sound out each word.

I said that there did not used to be such a huge disparity in what a lawyer is paid and what a teacher is paid.

For example, in 1970, the initial pay gap between a lawyer starting at a good law firm and a teacher at a public school was about $2,000. Today, it's more than $100,000.

Link: Closing the talent gap: Attracting and retaining top third graduates to a career in teaching

ROFL! Your numbers are bogus. Furthermore, if you go back a little further, then lawyers made many orders of magnitude more than school teachers. Additionally, 1970 was about the low point in SAT scores. That's hardly a recommendation for increasing teacher salaries.

The problem with government schools isn't attracting competent people. The problem is getting rid of the ones who turn out to be duds. They can't even get rid of child-molesters, let alone ordinary incompetence.

You write as if both parties are the same. Big business gives 90% of the money from PACs to Republicans for a reason. The Chamber of Commerce gives 90% to Republicans for a reason. Republicans want to cut Medicare for a reason. Republicans want to give tax breaks and subsidies to huge corporations and billionaires for a reason.

Think about what that reason is and you will understand the difference between the two parties.

ROFL! Your numbers are bogus. Furthermore, if you go back a little further, then lawyers made many orders of magnitude more than school teachers. Additionally, 1970 was about the low point in SAT scores. That's hardly a recommendation for increasing teacher salaries.
They are bogus because YOU say they are? Since we have already established a reading comprehension issue with you, I'm supposed to just believe YOU when you say "the numbers are bogus". Do you have ANYTHING that would counter the provided GOVERNMENT study? Did you even LOOK at the study?

Jesus H Christ on a raft, all you have to do is look at the disparity between what a COACH is paid and what a teacher is paid. Growing disparity between coach & teacher pay

The problem with government schools isn't attracting competent people. The problem is getting rid of the ones who turn out to be duds. They can't even get rid of child-molesters, let alone ordinary incompetence.

Let me try your debate tactics. Your statement is bogus.

If we want the best education for America's students, we need to recruit the best talent for it...like Finland does.

It's difficult to take right wingers seriously when it comes to education. School boards have a lot of power to determine what is taught. Right wingers will waste money wanting to teach "magical creation". Schools don't have the money to fight off the lawsuits so they stop teaching entire branches of science Just to avoid the controversy. Then you have right wingers insisting education is "just a piece of paper". It's why so few of their children graduate. And when they do go to college, they go to Bible college. What good is that?

76532743_fac36b13eb.jpg

The United States of America spends more on public education than any other nation in the world, with poor results to show for it. Schools are awash in cash; they just don't spend it on the classroom.

Furthermore, the biggest problem with public education in this country is not and never has been money. It's cultural.

Ever see "Waiting for Superman"? Too many union teachers are bad and need to be laid off. We're wasting way too much money on education and getting a poor return, look at the US compared to other countries' education systems as proof. The US is about 23rd and dropping. Stop wasting our money.

As for the GOP, they suck about as much as the dems, both parties protect their cash cows. Remember how the economy got fucked-up? The dems cash cows' Fannie & Freddie were at fault.

Freddie and Fannie? You might do a little research. Check out where Wall Street and deregulation fit into that scenario. The answer might surprise you.

You can start with:

Freddie/Fannie accounting scandal.

Wall Street derivatives

Wall Street Deregulation

70% of mortgages moved.

I think that would be a good start. Try to ignore the "Heritage Foundation". Stick with Reputable Business sites. I suspect you will be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a conservative who has read a few of your posts on this board I would compare my educational levels to yours any day bub.

Oddly, the flamers on this board continually shout from the rooftops how smart they are, then struggle to pull together a cogent thought.

Ya gotta love it.

Conservative opposition to public schools has nothing to do with a concern for education. It’s predicated upon conservative dogma that everything – including education – should be subjected to a ‘free market’ paradigm. The quality of one’s education is based on the quality of income: the better one’s income, the better one’s education.

Indeed, the right envisions a world where education is a privilege, not a right; those who are financially successful can afford the privilege of education and can afford to send their children to a private school. Children of families who can’t afford to send them to school receive no education, regardless of the child’s abilities.

Per conservative Utopian dogma, faced with this horrendous prospect, individuals will work harder and/or will refrain from having children; the ‘disincentive’ of public education is thus eradicated.

Needless to say this dogma is reactionary, Medieval, and if ever implemented will lead to the destruction of the American Republic.

Actually, the best way to fix the problem is to fire all the teachers and give every parent a voucher. Government schools will always be disasters. They are run for the benefit of teachers, not students and parents.

As soon as children start paying union dues, the teachers' union will represent them. -Arnold Shanker.

Conservative opposition to public schools has nothing to do with a concern for education. It’s predicated upon conservative dogma that everything – including education – should be subjected to a ‘free market’ paradigm. The quality of one’s education is based on the quality of income: the better one’s income, the better one’s education.

Indeed, the right envisions a world where education is a privilege, not a right; those who are financially successful can afford the privilege of education and can afford to send their children to a private school. Children of families who can’t afford to send them to school receive no education, regardless of the child’s abilities.

Per conservative Utopian dogma, faced with this horrendous prospect, individuals will work harder and/or will refrain from having children; the ‘disincentive’ of public education is thus eradicated.

Needless to say this dogma is reactionary, Medieval, and if ever implemented will lead to the destruction of the American Republic.

Education is not a right. Health care is not a right. Education should be entirely left to the locals, not the Federal government.

I am going to take these one at a time.

1. I personally believe that states should stay out of things like this, but what Christie is doing here is normal practice. Also, low interest loans and tax deferrals are not the same as spending state money. I give this one a C for following your theme.
  2. The firm only gets millions if the state tax revenues go up. This is purely an incentive deal, and is capped at $13 million. Grade this an F because it is not even close.
  3. This is flat out wrong. This one earns you an A.

By GDP, we rank #38. You cannot compare our spending with another nations on direct dollar basis, because of the differance in what we have and what things cost here.

The reality is, by what we are capable of doing, we spend damned little on education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_spending_on_education_(%25_of_GDP)

I don't, I compare cost per student to other countries. By that standard only one country outspends us.

Figure 38-1: Annual expenditures per student for elementary and secondary education in selected OECD countries, by GDP per capita: 2006

Only idiots who do not understand numbers thinks comparing anything by GDP means something.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. One of the top countries in education is more union oriented than we in the US could even think of being.

How Finland Reached the Top of the Educational Rankings

Oh, and 95% of Finland's teachers belong to a union...

Unions are completely different in Europe. I know, I had a long and drawn out argument about unions with a guy from there once, and it was not until I showed him what unions do here by linking to there own sites that he believed me. Unions there are more like social clubs than what we think of as unions.

Forum List

Back