Republicans have some decent ideas for health care.

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
You see, the thing is, that things like Patient Verification and Tort Reform are pretty decent ideas.

I'm not so sure how they'd be implemented, and details would have to be worked out, but they are in fact pretty decent ideas that I, as a liberal, wouldn't mind seeing added to the existing proposed bill.

The problem is that Republicans have not actually been trying to work with Democrats to get their proposals added to the bill.

Instead they have been insisting that the whole thing be scrapped, and a whole new be started based on only their proposals.

It seems to me that if some Republicans take a more proactive stance here and lend their support to the bill if some of their ideas are added, then we would be having a much better time of it.

I also like competition across state lines for insurance companies

Both of those are excellent ideas. Republicans feel that these should be addressed first, to gauge cost savings, before a national plan is passed and I agree with them.

scrapped is the way to go. start over is the way to go. do it, do it right and do it in the sunshine.

scrapped is the way to go. start over is the way to go. do it, do it right and do it in the sunshine.

Since when have Republicans done any bill in the "sunshine"? Was the Patriot Act done in the sunshine? Don't be a hypocrite. Though not like it's unusual for you Willow.

However, I agree that this bill should be rewritten not behind closed doors. The same way with ALL bills. It would also be good to see who actually writes these bills. A great example would be the last Bankruptcy law that Bush and the GOP passed to make it harder for people to declare bankruptcy was passed by the credit card companies.

Last edited:
You see, the thing is, that things like Patient Verification and Tort Reform are pretty decent ideas.

I'm not so sure how they'd be implemented, and details would have to be worked out, but they are in fact pretty decent ideas that I, as a liberal, wouldn't mind seeing added to the existing proposed bill.

The problem is that Republicans have not actually been trying to work with Democrats to get their proposals added to the bill.

Instead they have been insisting that the whole thing be scrapped, and a whole new be started based on only their proposals.

It seems to me that if some Republicans take a more proactive stance here and lend their support to the bill if some of their ideas are added, then we would be having a much better time of it.

If they are such good ideas, will some Democrat add them to the bill? The Republicans have zero power in all of this, so they're probably feeling a bit left out.

And the republicans would still vote against it.

republicans are losing the fight. Fear mongering has run out of steam. Their tactic now is to scrap everything...delay.....delay....delay....while looking for a way to kill it later

Since when have Republicans done any bill in the "sunshine"? Was the Patriot Act done in the sunshine? Don't be a hypocrite. Though not like it's unusual for you Willow.

However, I agree that this bill should be rewritten not behind closed doors. The same way with ALL bills. It would also be good to see who actually writes these bills. A great example would be the last Bankruptcy law that Bush and the GOP passed to make it harder for people to declare bankruptcy was passed by the credit card companies.

do it in the sunshine or risk disbelief in your cause. Why would you have to be secretive and behind closed doors with a health care bill that's good for ALL Americans?

Both of those are excellent ideas. Republicans feel that these should be addressed first, to gauge cost savings, before a national plan is passed and I agree with them.

In other words, they want to implement what they want now, and not implement what the Democrats want until some point in the future.

Meanwhile the Democrats are the majority.

That is not helping.

If they wanted to implement what they want, in addition to what the Democrats wanted, than that would be another matter.

That's commonly known as compromise.

do it in the sunshine or risk disbelief in your cause. Why would you have to be secretive and behind closed doors with a health care bill that's good for ALL Americans?

Did you even bother to read my post? However, I want you to go ahead and name one major bill that Republicans did in the sunshine that you want for Democrats on Health Care. The clock starts now.

If they are such good ideas, will some Democrat add them to the bill? The Republicans have zero power in all of this, so they're probably feeling a bit left out.

If it meant Republican support of the bill? Yes, 100%.

The Republicans have not offered to work with the Democrats. Instead they have chosen to use other tactics through the media to attempt to undermine the Democrats from making any kind of reform at all.

If it would mean Republican support for a Democratic bill, the Democrats would DEFINITELY add Republican suggestions.

Last edited:
The fact is that if the republicans were ever serious about improving healthcare they could have easilly passed their initiatives during their eight years in power.

Tort reform? Didn't see it
Interstate competition for insurance companies? Didn't see it

Now that the Democrats are pushing healthcare, the republicans are suddenly experts on the issue

In other words, they want to implement what they want now, and not implement what the Democrats want until some point in the future.

Meanwhile the Democrats are the majority.

That is not helping.

If they wanted to implement what they want, in addition to what the Democrats wanted, than that would be another matter.

That's commonly known as compromise.

You said yourself that they are good ideas. Would you agree that these items should have been passed years ago?

National health care is such a huge change and many people are very queasy about the repercusions and cost.

See, this would be the tactic to take:

A couple of moderate Republicans say "I'll support the bill if you add these addendums".

Then the Democrats add the addendums and voila, they have their bill!

But the Republicans don't seem to want any Democratic led bill to pass, as they see it as some sort of Democratic victory, rather than what's good for the country.

[

You said yourself that they are good ideas. Would you agree that these items should have been passed years ago?

National health care is such a huge change and many people are very queasy about the repercusions and cost.

We could of easily afforded Health Care if we never went into Iraq. We would of also gotten a better deal for our money. Let's see, millions of people now able to get insurance when they couldn't before or 3,000+ dead soldiers with billions spent trying to repair the place we destroyed. Tough choice. :eusa_eh:

Tort Reform WAS passed years ago, to no effect. 2005 to be exact.

However, further revisions could be added, and might indeed have an effect.

Patient Verification is going to be a touchy subject for REPUBLICANS though, not Democrats, as it would involve a large-scale biometric (probably fingerprint) identification system that will have Libertarians up in arms.

Did you even bother to read my post? However, I want you to go ahead and name one major bill that Republicans did in the sunshine that you want for Democrats on Health Care. The clock starts now.

sure I read your post. I believe the Patriot act was well discussed and argued in both houses of Congress. Was it not? Was something you know about with held? Please show me. or do you just kneejerk to "the republicans did it too"?

Tort Reform WAS passed years ago, to no effect. 2005 to be exact.

However, further revisions could be added, and might indeed have an effect.

Patient Verification is going to be a touchy subject for REPUBLICANS though, not Democrats, as it would involve a large-scale biometric (probably fingerprint) identification system that will have Libertarians up in arms.

so then why don't demoncwats just admit they intend to give illegals full access to the "public option"?

sure I read your post. I believe the Patriot act was well discussed and argued in both houses of Congress. Was it not? Was something you know about with held? Please show me. or do you just kneejerk to "the republicans did it too"?

It was discussed and argued, but there was also quite a bit of "closed door session" meetings held among the Republicans, and it was definitely hurried through.

Forum List

Back