Republicans have elected just six blacks to major office in 70 years

Kudos to paperview

In alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those years since 1929, you'd think pubs could have found a way to overcome that wretched media they blame so much.

Here is a list of African Americans elected to Congress since 1929.
(compiled before the 2010 election, so it does not reflect current count):
Pay special attention to the party affiliation:

Oscar Stanton De Priest Republican Illinois 1929-1935
Arthur W. Mitchell Democrat Illinois 1935-1943
William L. Dawson Democrat Illinois 1943-1970
Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Democrat New York 1945-1967, 1967-1971
Charles Diggs Democrat Michigan 1955-1980
Robert N.C. Nix, Sr. Democrat Pennsylvania 1958-1979
John Conyers Democrat 1965-present
Bill Clay Democrat Missouri 1969-2001
Louis Stokes Democrat Ohio 1969-1999
Shirley Chisholm Democrat New York 1969-1983
George W. Collins Democrat Illinois 1970-1972
Ron Dellums Democrat California 1971-1998
Ralph Metcalfe Democrat Illinois 1971-1978
Parren Mitchell Democrat Maryland 1971-1987
Charles B. Rangel Democrat New York 1971-present
Yvonne Brathwaite Burke Democrat California 1973-1979
Cardiss Collins Democrat Illinois 1973-1997
Barbara Jordan Democrat Texas 1973-1979
Andrew Young Democrat Georgia 1973-1977
Harold Ford, Sr. Democrat Tennessee 1975-1997
Julian C. Dixon Democrat California 1979-2000
William H. Gray, III Democrat Pennsylvania 1979-1991
Mickey Leland Democrat Texas 1979-1989
Bennett M. Stewart Democrat Illinois 1979-1981
George W. Crockett, Jr. Democrat Michigan 1980-1991
Mervyn M. Dymally Democrat California 1981-1993
Gus Savage Democrat Illinois 1981-1993
Harold Washington Democrat Illinois 1981-1983
Katie Hall Democrat Indiana 1982-1985
Major Owens Democrat New York 1983-2007
Ed Towns Democrat New York 1983-present
Alan Wheat Democrat Missouri 1983-1995
Charles Hayes Democrat Illinois 1983-1993
Alton R. Waldon, Jr. Democrat New York 1986-1987
Mike Espy Democrat Mississippi 1987-1993
Floyd H. Flake Democrat New York 1987-1998
John Lewis Democrat Georgia 1987-present
Kweisi Mfume Democrat Maryland 1987-1996
Donald M. Payne Democrat New Jersey 1989-present
Craig Anthony Washington Democrat Texas 1989-1995
Barbara-Rose Collins Democrat Michigan 1991-1997
Gary Franks Republican Connecticut 1991-1997
William J. Jefferson Democrat Louisiana 1991-2009
Maxine Waters Democrat California 1991-present
Lucien E. Blackwell Democrat Pennsylvania 1991-1995
Eva M. Clayton Democrat North Carolina 1992-2003
Sanford Bishop Democrat Georgia 1993-present
Corrine Brown Democrat Florida 1993-present
Jim Clyburn Democrat South Carolina 1993-present
Cleo Fields Democrat Louisiana 1993-1997
Alcee Hastings Democrat Florida 1993-present
Earl Hilliard Democrat Alabama 1993-2003
Eddie Bernice Johnson Democrat Texas 1993-present
Cynthia McKinney Democrat Georgia 1993-2003, 2005-2007
Carrie P. Meek Democrat Florida 1993-2003
Mel Reynolds Democrat Illinois 1993-1995
Bobby Rush Democrat Illinois 1993-present
Robert C. Scott Democrat Virginia 1993-present
Walter Tucker Democrat California 1993-1995
Mel Watt Democrat North Carolina 1993-present
Albert Wynn Democrat Maryland 1993-2008
Bennie Thompson Democrat Mississippi 1993-present
Chaka Fattah Democrat Pennsylvania 1995-present
Sheila Jackson-Lee Democrat Texas 1995-present
J. C. Watts Republican Oklahoma 1995-2003
Jesse Jackson, Jr. Democrat Illinois 1995-present
Juanita Millender-McDonald Democrat California 1996-2007
Elijah Cummings Democrat Maryland 1996-present
Julia Carson Democrat Indiana 1997-2007
Danny K. Davis Democrat Illinois 1997-present
Harold Ford, Jr. Democrat Tennessee 1997-2007
Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick Democrat Michigan 1997-present
Gregory W. Meeks Democrat New York 1998-present
Barbara Lee Democrat California 1998-present
Stephanie Tubbs Jones Democrat Ohio 1999-2008
William Lacy Clay, Jr. Democrat Missouri 2001-present
Diane Watson Democrat California 2001-present
Frank Ballance Democrat North Carolina 2003-2004
Artur Davis Democrat Alabama 2003-present
Denise Majette Democrat Georgia 2003-2005
Kendrick Meek Democrat Florida 2003-present
David Scott Democrat Georgia 2003-present
G. K. Butterfield Democrat North Carolina 2004-present
Emanuel Cleaver Democrat Missouri 2005-present
Al Green Democrat Texas 2005-present
Gwen Moore Democrat Wisconsin 2005-present
Yvette D. Clarke Democrat New York 2007-present
Keith Ellison Democrat Minnesota 2007-present
Hank Johnson Democrat Georgia 2007-present
Laura Richardson Democrat California 2007-present
André Carson Democrat Indiana 2008-present
Donna Edwards Democrat Maryland 2008-present
Marcia Fudge Democrat Ohio 2008-present

...in allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those years...THREE republicans.
93 democrats. ---> Since 1929.
Grand Total: THREE REPUBLICANS.
THREE.

Two additional have been selected since 2010

and leave it to you to pick the stupidest example too. you do know that civil rights code via the voting rights act, section 5, prevents the gerrymander of a minority district into a district that falls below 50% minority voting age threshold? No? I didn't think so. ( I bet you cannot figure out either why thats in the end counter productive either, but anyway:rolleyes:)

Oh and-
The most recent reauthorization for another twenty-five years passed by wide bipartisan margins in 2007 -- when Republicans controlled the U.S. Congress and George W. Bush was president. The Voting Rights Act is seen as one of the most successful pieces of legislation, being credited with the election of 9,000 African-Americans, 5,000 Latinos, and numerous Native Americans to local, state, and national offices.

that get you thinking? probably not. :doubt:

so, some simple Q's you should have asked yourself before posting your dose of identity politics uber fail;

-how many of those races had a white and black candidate heads up?

-and most importantly, how many of those republican primaries had a black candidate?

Sorry bud.....

Try as I might

I completely miss your point

Nothing new there. You miss the point of most of the lucid and salient posts around here while you post your partisan bullshit. Go back to jerking off to your picture of Obama.

You've been too chicken to respond to my multiple questions to you.........why do most blacks vote democrat? Come on, pull up your panties and man up for once.

All progressives care about is skin color..... They're too dumb and full of themselves to acknowledge intellect.

You have to realize progressives are all about being "fair." Fuck politics and individual success - these fools would (and did) elect a person like Alvin Greene just because he was black...

Here is your typical progressive..

I VOTED FOR ALVIN GREENE - YouTube

Not to mention the singer Alvin Green is spelled GREEN not Greene..

I don't understand why the appearance of an ideology's belief surrounding the need to "dumb down" (or put not as high an emphasis towards) a person's qualifications, simply to have an opportunity to see a certain ethnic group or gender placed in an important political office? Wouldn't an individual feel more of a sense of accomplishment that they were given this opportunity, based solely on one's own merits, skill, and experience they bring to the table? Why are liberals willing to just sell a candidate or position short, under the perception we are visually proving to someone we can be equal? Do they not care or desire a "qualified" candidate who didn't just screw it all up and let the whole country down, someone they can actually be proud of instead of making excuses for?

Last edited:
All progressives care about is skin color..... They're too dumb and full of themselves to acknowledge intellect.

You have to realize progressives are all about being "fair." Fuck politics and individual success - these fools would (and did) elect a person like Alvin Greene just because he was black...

I don't understand why the appearance of an ideology's belief surrounding the need to "dumb down" (or put not as high emphasis towards) a person's qualifications, simply to have an opportunity to see a certain ethnic group or gender placed in an important political office? Wouldn't an individual feel more of a sense of accomplichment that they were given this opportunity, based solely on one's own merits, skill, and experience they bring to the table? Why are liberals willing to just sell a candidate or position short, under the perception we are visually proving to someone we can be equal? Do they not care or desire a "qualified" candidate who didn't just screw it all up and let the whole country down, someone they can actually be proud of instead of making excuses for?

IMO, I believe their emphasis on race is racist within itself...

I don't understand why the appearance of an ideology's belief surrounding the need to "dumb down" (or put not as high emphasis towards) a person's qualifications, simply to have an opportunity to see a certain ethnic group or gender placed in an important political office? Wouldn't an individual feel more of a sense of accomplichment that they were given this opportunity, based solely on one's own merits, skill, and experience they bring to the table? Why are liberals willing to just sell a candidate or position short, under the perception we are visually proving to someone we can be equal? Do they not care or desire a "qualified" candidate who didn't just screw it all up and let the whole country down, someone they can actually be proud of instead of making excuses for?

Of course it is. Americans came to their senses and ended slavery long ago. It has been more than 50 years since the last of desegregation was accomplished and Affirmative Action opened doors for everybody. We won that war. It's time to stop fighting it. Those who see nothing but skin color are every bit as racist as those folks all those decades ago. They diminish people and render them less capable by virtue of the color of their skin. The only non racists these days are those who are color blind so far as demographics go. Skin color should have no more importance than eye color, hair color, height, or weight.

Of course it is. Americans came to their senses and ended slavery long ago. It has been more than 50 years since the last of desegregation was accomplished and Affirmative Action opened doors for everybody. We won that war. It's time to stop fighting it. Those who see nothing but skin color are every bit as racist as those folks all those decades ago. They diminish people and render them less capable by virtue of the color of their skin. The only non racists these days are those who are color blind so far as demographics go. Skin color should have no more importance than eye color, hair color, height, or weight.

No such thing as colorblind. Herman Cain's first excuse was "because I'm a black conservative". Prior to that he was preaching that colorblind bullshit.

America was born of racism and will die of racism.

No such thing as colorblind. Herman Cain's first excuse was "because I'm a black conservative". Prior to that he was preaching that colorblind bullshit.

being you must be a full time job......I actually pity you.

If stoopidity were a crime, you'd be doing five life terms in solitary.

Forum List

Back