Republicans Happier than Democrats

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
A 2006 Pew Research poll found that 45 percent of Republicans describe themselves as "very happy," compared with only 30 percent of Democrats (and 29 percent of independents). This is a sizable gap and a remarkably consistent one, too. Republicans have been happier than Democrats every year since the General Social Survey, conducted biannually by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, began asking about happiness in 1972.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../02/07/AR2008020701904.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

That will change once Obama or Clinton is elected. Change is scary. And personally I find conservatives to be more unhappy than others as life means change and change really confuses the heck out of them.

"...the differences between the conservative and the radical seem to spring mainly from their attitude toward the future. Fear of the future causes us to lean against and cling to the present, while faith in the future renders us receptive to change. Both the rich and the poor, the strong and the weak, they who have achieved much or little can be afraid of the future. When the present seems so perfect that the most we can expect is its even continuation in the future, change can only mean deterioration. Hence men of outstanding achievement and those who live full, happy lives usually set their faces against drastic innovation. ... " Eric Hoffer

That will change once Obama or Clinton is elected. Change is scary. And personally I find conservatives to be more unhappy than others as life means change and change really confuses the heck out of them.

"...the differences between the conservative and the radical seem to spring mainly from their attitude toward the future. Fear of the future causes us to lean against and cling to the present, while faith in the future renders us receptive to change. Both the rich and the poor, the strong and the weak, they who have achieved much or little can be afraid of the future. When the present seems so perfect that the most we can expect is its even continuation in the future, change can only mean deterioration. Hence men of outstanding achievement and those who live full, happy lives usually set their faces against drastic innovation. ... " Eric Hoffer

Higher taxes and universal health care? yep, really looking forward to that.

Higher taxes and universal health care? yep, really looking forward to that.

And if we can have a single payer system that covers everyone and pay less for the care per person than we do and get better care - I'll drink to that.:clap2:

Bern, Anything that makes life easier is a good thing, so glad to see you're looking forward too. They can have the tax reduction back now if it helps our returning soldiers and others in need.

Bern, Anything that makes life easier is a good thing, so glad to see you're looking forward too. They can have the tax reduction back now if it helps our returning soldiers and others in need.

We need to get the government out of healthcare, if we want healthcare to work. Medical Savings Accounts, deregulating healthcare, getting rid of the FDA and other wasteful and and corrupt bureaucracies.

This is so patently false I don't where to begin. Why is making things easy, good? Makeing things easy makes things more convenient sure, but there is nothing that can be considered inherently good about that.

On a societal level making things 'easier' weakens society. Simply because the more things that are provided for you by someone else (government in this case), rather than you providing it for yourself, the more dependant you become rather than self-reliant. As I've said before, we have become a society, because of technology advances, busy lives, etc., that when given the choice will pick easy more often than not. Well, of you always pick easy or things are made easy for you, how do you grow and become stronger? How does society grow stronger?

The only thing I find confusing is how anyone even slightly educated could consider supporting Obama or Hillary...

I have bad news midcan... Get ready for 4 more years of a republican white house....

The only thing I find confusing is how anyone even slightly educated could consider supporting Obama or Hillary...

Yeah.. but that's true of ALL frontrunners.

I have bad news midcan... Get ready for 4 more years of a republican white house....

I doubt it, esp. if brother Cain gets nominated.

The same goes for supporting McCain or Huckabee. Depends on your education, Duh?

The same goes for supporting McCain or Huckabee. Depends on your education, Duh?

I must agree that education has nothing to do with supporting any candidate. Personal beliefs are what lead people to support a person for office. And while education may effect some beliefs, it is my opinion we all have beliefs that defy the written word or education.

My entire family is Democrats. My Grandparents whom I loved and lived with most of my young life were staunch Democrats. My Granddad was a delegate several times to the party primaries.

They taught me most if not all of my morals and my personal conduct. YET I was NEVER a believer in the Democrats. And it was not because I rebelled. I never rebelled against my Grandparents. My Dad and Mom and all my sisters and brothers were Democrats and those still alive still ARE.

I do not identify with the platforms, policies or beliefs of that party. I have always believed in the Republican platform and policy. And I came to that on my OWN. No one taught me, brainwashed me or tricked me into it. So education wise I probably should be a democrat since that is what I was "taught" by my family.

Only because while Democrats understand they are the party of high taxing, big spending, big government totalitarianism, the Republicans are in complete denial and ignorance of the fact that their party is high taxing, big spending, big government totalitarianism.

We need to get the government out of healthcare, if we want healthcare to work. Medical Savings Accounts, deregulating healthcare, getting rid of the FDA and other wasteful and and corrupt bureaucracies.

You really trust the health care world to police themselves? All they care about is profits, and it is not profitable to help the uninsured. There has to be some mechanism in place to ensure that those people also have access to medical care. The health and well being of people should not be put in the hands of people who are only interested in making money. That has worked out really well so far, right? :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back