Republicans, government investment, flu vaccines and science

R

rdean

Insight: U.S. government investment gives flu vaccines a shot in the arm - Health - Cold and flu

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Fighting the flu may soon get easier.
As early as next year, more modern and more effective vaccines will hit the market, thanks to investments by the U.S. government and pharmaceutical companies. And even bigger scientific advances are expected in the next decade, including a "universal" flu vaccine given every five to 10 years that would fight many strains of a virus, making annual shots all but obsolete.

US races to make vaccine against new bird flu ? just in case - Vitals

But it’s already killed nine of them and authorities are not sure precisely where it’s coming from. Worse, it doesn’t seem to be making birds sick – which means authorities don’t have tell-tale die-offs of poultry to warn them when it’s circulating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember when Republicans thought AIDS was "God's cure" for being gay and that we didn't need to worry about it because it only killed the dreaded gays.

I remember when a mainstream Republican Presidential Candidate said vaccines cause autism and mental retardation.

Michele Bachmann An Anti-Vaccine Wingnut?

Imagine we lived in a world where research was blocked because it cost too much and the government shouldn't be involved? Or more than just Republicans believed vaccines caused autism and mental retardation?

Think about it. A deadly disease that is transmitted by birds but doesn't make birds sick. And some want to shrink government so small it can be drowned in a bathtub (famous Grover Norquist quote. The man most Republicans in congress swore to over the constitution.)

I haven't received a vaccine of any type in at least 20 years or more and I rarely get sick.

Gee I wonder what the connection is? :confused:

There is a major disconnect in the radical liberal mind. Maybe Michael Savage was right when he said liberalism is a mental illness. Maybe it's blind hatred that causes lefties to assume that republicans don't want to spend money on anything including vaccine research. All the GOP wants to do is trim the size of the gigantic bloated bureaucracies.

Forum List

Back