Republicans, give President Obama a fair shake.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I know that we are disappointed by the outcome of the presidential elections, but we should also keep in mind that the majority has spoken.

Many of us have been put off by the behavior of the far left for the last 8 years, but I for one have no intention of emulating that behavior.

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. That is a flattery we should choose not to bestow.

Give President Obama the benifit of the doubt. Lead by example.

Whether you are a believer like I am, or not...the wisdom of Jesus can be admired by all:

'A new commandment I give to you, that ye love one another; according as I did love you, that ye also love one another'

- Jesus Christ as recorded in the Book of John, Chapter 13, Verse 34.​

Like I said, his acceptance speech sounded great. If he plans to govern as a moderate and to get things done that will satisfy both sides of the aisle, he'll earn my support. If he pushes left-wing agendas and forces out the opinions of the minority, he's no better than the last eight years. First and foremost he MUST stand up to the likes of Pelosi and Reid. Those two are on a highway straight to hell and they're taking this country with them.

Like I said, his acceptance speech sounded great. If he plans to govern as a moderate and to get things done that will satisfy both sides of the aisle, he'll earn my support. If he pushes left-wing agendas and forces out the opinions of the minority, he's no better than the last eight years. First and foremost he MUST stand up to the likes of Pelosi and Reid. Those two are on a highway straight to hell and they're taking this country with them.

I agree, I'm only saying we should keep an open mind, not be mindless sheep.

It's our turn to be the opposition party, we have a choice to keep it civil exchange of disagreement or take a page from the far left.

I choose civility.

I'm not part of the opposition party. I'm an neutral observer and overall skeptic to politics in general. I don't believe Obama anymore than I believe the next guy, and what Obama has said in the past did not impress me.

I'm not part of the opposition party. I'm an neutral observer and overall skeptic to politics in general. I don't believe Obama anymore than I believe the next guy, and what Obama has said in the past did not impress me.

Nor I. I'll wait for action before I judge. So far he sounds like a black baptist preacher. He can quit politicking now and tell us all about the details of thing change he is offering. and please--no more tax BS.

It's our turn to be the opposition party, we have a choice to keep it civil exchange of disagreement or take a page from the far left.

I choose civility.

I always respect your civility. But I'd remind you that if you'd like to talk about incivility, I'd have to direct you to Karl Rove and his push-polling of John McCain; and the lovely folk like rush limbaugh and annie coulter who thinks presidential candidates should be killed in terrorist attacks for disagreeing with her perverse political views.

The dems are wusses compared to the right.

I choose civility.

Well said. We have an obligation to actually support the Presidents actions so long as it doesn't compromise your personal core values. That doesn't mean that you have to agree. It does mean that if you disagree you should offer a workable solution.

I always respect your civility. But I'd remind you that if you'd like to talk about incivility, I'd have to direct you to Karl Rove and his push-polling of John McCain; and the lovely folk like rush limbaugh and annie coulter who thinks presidential candidates should be killed in terrorist attacks for disagreeing with her perverse political views.

lol,, it always ends up with the Republicans pulling back their bloody stumps Missourian. I could have told you that!

Come on Jillian, Its time to move forward. You have your Presdident. We are now the opposition party. You own the White House and Congress. Lets move on.

I'll give President Obama the benefit of the doubt right now, I hope he does great. But I'm still going to watch him very closely.

Come on Jillian, Its time to move forward. You have your Presdident. We are now the opposition party. You own the White House and Congress. Lets move on.

I've already moved on. But my comment was in response to:

or take a page from the far left
. as the antithesis of civility. I'm afraid that owning the white house and congress doesn't mean that coservatives, even ones as civil as missouri (for whom I expressed my respect at the beginning of my post) get to engage in revisionist history. Having listened to the rants of coulter and rushbo for so many years, I'm afraid that I felt teh need to respond. ;)

On the other hand, I'm sure I could be as courteous as willow if i worked real hard at being as vile as I possibly could. :clap2:

but you know I love ya anyway. :eusa_angel:

I've already moved on. But my comment was in response to:

. as the antithesis of civility. I'm afraid that owning the white house and congress doesn't mean that coservatives, even ones as civil as missouri (for whom I expressed my respect at the beginning of my post) get to engage in revisionist history. Having listened to the rants of coulter and rushbo for so many years, I'm afraid that I felt teh need to respond. ;)

On the other hand, I'm sure I could be as courteous as willow if i worked real hard at being as vile as I possibly could. :clap2:

but you know I love ya anyway. :eusa_angel:

Thank You Sweetie!

I choose civility.

And I would add that Democrats need to take a different direction as well. Your criticism of the anti-Bush hate-based political rhetoric from the left is justified. Not all criticisms were simply reactions to spite for Bush, but enough were that it left a taint on all the left. At the same time, we have also had several years of loyalty to a party in the White House that was as good as a complete abolishment of checks and balances; going so far as to sometimes promote expansive executive powers at the expense of their own congressional authority. I felt like signing statements were abominable and Bush should have been threatened with impeachment (perhaps privately) by his own party if he continued to usurp power.

So Democrats, support Obama when you believe his decisions are in the best interest of the country. But do not support him out of blind loyalty and do not hesitate to call him on mistakes or shy from critical analysis of all of his decisions. Do not allow this to be a rubber stamp congress. Allow the Republicans to be part of the process and consider their views with respect and thoughtfulness. Do not hesitate to work with them and give credit on any legislation that you truly believe is important. Never compromise your principles, but keep those principles broad so there is room to work on how to achieve the goals they support.

I'll give President Obama the benefit of the doubt right now, I hope he does great. But I'm still going to watch him very closely.

I do not dount Obama will attempt to implement his economic agenda. It is a wrong agenda in my opinion. Why would his election have me change my mind about that?

I do not dount Obama will attempt to implement his economic agenda. It is a wrong agenda in my opinion. Why would his election have me change my mind about that?

I'm so curious. Do you think his agenda is wrong because it's "morally" wrong to tax the highest wage earners, or do you think his agenda is wrong because it'll hurt our economy?

I don't know why you quoted me to make this statement, but I agree with you.

I'm afraid that owning the white house and congress doesn't mean that coservatives, even ones as civil as missouri (for whom I expressed my respect at the beginning of my post) get to engage in revisionist history. Having listened to the rants of coulter and rushbo for so many years, I'm afraid that I felt the need to respond.

Thank you Jillian, I also have the highest respect for your civillity and enjoy reading your opinions. :thup:

I also agree that there are extemists on both sides of the aisle.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back