Republicans dying to create the world's biggest nuclear dump over the US Water Supply

R

rdean

Republican Donor Simmons Seeks Rule to Fill Texas Dump - Businessweek

Harold Simmons built a West Texas dump for radioactive waste that is bigger than 1,000 football fields and he can’t fill it.

To turn it into a profitable enterprise, the Texas billionaire hired lobbyists to urge the Obama administration to expand the types of nuclear waste, including depleted uranium, the dump can accept and award his company disposal contracts.

He’s invested $15.9 million this election cycle in various groups to help elect Republicans, who advocate easing regulations on the nuclear industry.

“Whatever federal switch has to be thrown to get uranium into the hole, believe me, it will be thrown; that’s how Harold Simmons works,”

Among their chief complaints was the use of an assessment by company-hired university scientists of the location of the Ogallala Aquifer, which provides water for drinking and agriculture for much of the plains, to overcome objections from environmentalists.

The GOP’s nuke-dump donor

Maps from the Texas Water Development Board showed the site sitting directly above the Ogallala Aquifer, a massive but shallow underground reservoir, which sprawls beneath eight Great Plains states and supplies roughly a third of the nation’s irrigation water. If large quantities of radiation were to seep into this water table, the effects could be devastating. After WCS’s application came up for review, however, something curious happened: The board shifted the official boundaries of the Ogallala, a move WCS claims in its official correspondence was based partly on data the company provided, though Water Board spokeswoman Samantha Pollard argues this isn’t true. “The reevaluation stemmed from work done for the development of groundwater availability models and related projects,” she says. As it turns out, five of the board’s six members had been appointed by Gov. Rick Perry, who’s taken more than $1.2 million in campaign contributions from WCS’s owner, Harold Simmons.

------------------------------------------------------

DID I MENTION HE IS THE REPUBLICANS NUMBER ONE DONOR? WHY IS THAT? WHAT DOES HE HOPE TO GAIN?

I thought their hatred of health care was totally bizarre.

I thought their embracing the Ryan plan to end Medicare was foolish.

I thought their saying "education is for snobs" was stupid.

I thought their policy of "let him die" was cruel.

But this? This is "insane". Republicans support the insane. They want to park a nuclear dump over one third of the nations drinking supply. Now watch these right wingers on the USMB defend this more than they defend George Zimmerman.

10 - 2 - 11

Fingers - eyes - toes

New Topics

Forum List

Back