Republicans: Do you believe that there are individuals who cannot help themselves?

As a conservative.

We should help those that can't help themselves.

Everyone else had better man the fuck up and get to work, even if the only thing you can find sucks the life out of you.

Our fore fathers did.
COOOOL ! I think I'll go kill me some injun "savages" steal their land and grow me some bakky ! Damn. That's a lot of work. Anybody got some ******* for sale ?

its great you fled this Country.....at least someone else has to pay your rent and wipe your ass.....

If we followed the Republican policy of "let them die", then we wouldn't have to worry. There go Democrats. Creating a problem when Republicans already have a "final" solution.

are you going to make another statement you cant back up?.....

Yes. That's why God has given us the privilege of providing charity for our fellow man.

Unfortunately, with the government robbing us for the politicians spending spree, we have less opportunity to provide charity.

That is the biggest crock of shit I have ever read here.

For the past decade, social scientists and pollsters have given elaborate questionnaires to hundreds of thousands of people around the globe. Two of the largest studies that rank the happiness of countries around the world are the World Map of Happiness from the University of Leiscester and the World Database of Happiness from Ruut Veenhoven of Erasmus University Rotterdam. All the happiness surveys ask people basically the same question: How happy are you?

"The answer you get is not only how they feel right now, but also how they feel about their entire life," explained Dan Buettner, who has studied happiness and longevity around the world through his Blue Zones project Buettner said that if you mine all the databases of universities and research centers, you'll find that the happiest place on earth is ? Denmark. Cold, dreary, unspectacular Denmark.

Could the Danes really be the happiest people in the world? When ABC News anchor Bill Weir traveled there to find out, he asked random Danes to rate themselves in terms of happiness, on a scale of one to 10. Many people rated themselves at least an eight, and there were several nines and 10s. Finally, one grouchy Dane came along who said she didn't believe Danes were so happy. But then she quickly conceded that she herself felt rather content with her life, and said Danes in general had very little to complain about.
Danes do have one potential complaint: high taxes. The happiest people in the world pay some of the highest taxes in the world -- between 50 percent and 70 percent of their incomes. In exchange, the government covers all health care and education, and spends more on children and the elderly than any country in the world per capita. With just 5.5 million people, the system is efficient, and people feel "tryghed" -- the Danish word for "tucked in" -- like a snug child.
Those high taxes have another effect. Since a banker can end up taking home as much money as an artist, people don't chose careers based on income or status. "They have this thing called 'Jante-lov,' which essentially says, 'You're no better then anybody else,'" said Buettner. "A garbage man can live in a middle-class neighborhood and hold his head high."

Denmark: The Happiest Place on Earth - ABC News

A couple of exampes: the mentally retarded and disabled veterans.

In other words, is there anyone living in this country that NEEDS and DESERVES government assistance? If not, how do you deal with these individuals?

Actually we don't use words like "retarded". Only hate filled radicals use "retarded" when they want to make a joke or insult someone. We call the unfortunate citizens developmentally disabled. While I am at it, remember when Barry was playing stand up comic early in his administration when he had a total democrat majority in congress and he was relaxed and ready to entertain the folks on Leno? When responding to a Leno question about bowling Barry confessed "I bowl like I'm in the Special Olympics". Thanks to the liberal media nobody made a big deal about Obama ridiculing developmentally disabled people. Thanks to new techniques in fetus research the democrat party might be able to achieve it's mission established in the 30's to create a brave new world based on eugenics where the federal government will fund the murder of unborn babies deemed "retarded".

Actually dude.... it's your side that is always complaining about Political Correctness and how the practice is weakening our country....

How nice of you to throw abortion into the mix. Just thought you sneak a stab in, right? Fuck you slimeball.... or perhaps I should say Slimebaugh.... like your AM radio Gospel program/News Source/Entertainment.... depending on how you want to defend yourself.

I love it when the Conservative Propaganda Machine throws something out for your consumption... You just turn into parrots.... BAWK! Eugenics! BAWK! Planned Parenthood! BAWK!

You really have no fucking clue, do you? You truly believe that only Liberal sources put out propaganda and the Conservative ones are speaking the truth. It's sad really. Even Porky Limbaugh and Beck tell you to use your critical thinking skills. The only problem is that they don't tell you to use it on your own side as well as "those evil liberals".

In other words, is there anyone living in this country that NEEDS and DESERVES government assistance? If not, how do you deal with these individuals?

Go talk to Sarah Palin. There is no one more in the corner of special needs persons than her. Obama is not in their corner. You do remember his joke about special needs kids and bowling right?

Nice try trying to paint Republicans in a bad way. But Democrats are out of their league in this one.

i don't remember the joke. please tell it, or link to it.

Yes. But the severely disabled (not inc. Senior Citizens) account for a tiny fraction of those receiving assistance.

Hey Bill,

I am extreme right to the right of Genghis Khan, but, to your question, we have a responsibility to the infirmed, all types. We need to help and provide. I work with handicap kids as a volunteer and for disabled elderly folks here in Las Cruces and they are soley dependent me and my cohorts who help them in all ways and the cost to pay for them as well. Sometimes I have to use my own money to get things for some of them. It's the way it is.

So, there is a requirement in our type of system, that, literally, one for all, all for one. Government must provide, we must pay for same.

Hope that is helpful and a very good question! Hat is tipped.

Robert

I agree. The case where someone requires government help should be either temporary or an exceptional case of severe handicap.

The guy that works only enough to get back on unemployment and his family goes without is abusing the system, as is the unemployed woman who keeps on having kids to expand the government dole she gets.

But some people do need help in times of crisis, and some people need help because they cannot do for themselves through no choice of their own.

Wow, I'm seeing a wide range of reasons why many conservatives feel that Americans should be allowed to live in abject squalor while others enjoy the fruits of, well, pretty much everything. The most unfortunate in our society should be allowed to rot until we get around to helping them through charities, assuming that ever actually happens. But who cares. As long as the government does absolutely nothing to help, we'll keep our "freedom" and "liberty".

That's their vision of America, the richest country in world. And plenty of examples on this thread to choose from.

Okay, your call. No way in hell I'll be able to change your mind, I get it.

Plus, I admit I just don't know what else to say at this point.

Last edited:

Of course there are people that need assistance. The problem most people have is that the vast majority of people with assistance are not the type described and they do NEED assistance. There are always those that simply cannot take care of themselves and they deserve more than a push out the door.

My younger brother has been messed up for 30 years. Bipolar affective disorder, paranoid schiz.
I've been his guardian for some time now.
No public program could ever help him like his family did. I don't care about public programs of any kind- if it weren't for us he would have been long dead.

That's great Mr. H.

However.... How much funding does your family get from the state? That is also supplemented from the Fed? Don't even tell me that your family takes care of him on your own, or I will call you a liar.... and you know that deep down in your heart that I'm right. SSI? Medicaid? If you're even an AVERAGE family.... you couldn't make ends meet without either one of those programs.

You can call me a liar anytime you like. That's sort of a badge of honor around here LOL.

Let's see- he's legally disabled so he does get SSI. Medicare helps pay for the big stuff like the tumor he had removed recently. I don't think the state of Illinois pitches in anything.

My point is, there's no substitute for a caring family no matter how much money state or federal agencies throw at you. When he was dancing around outside his apartment- in his underwear- threatening neighbors- it was family that diffused the situation. If we didn't intervene he probably w/have been tazed unconscious and hauled off. That's what the state does. I dunno- that make sense?

And in state custody he would be locked up in some state institution heavily medicated, probably put it restraints at the cost of approximately $250.00 per day. Caring families do need help with disabled family members, or they can just send them off and let the state take care of them. You are in fact, saving the government a lot of $, errrr........ I mean saving the taxpayers a lot of money. Kudos to you and your family for doing the right thing.

For the past decade, social scientists and pollsters have given elaborate questionnaires to hundreds of thousands of people around the globe. Two of the largest studies that rank the happiness of countries around the world are the World Map of Happiness from the University of Leiscester and the World Database of Happiness from Ruut Veenhoven of Erasmus University Rotterdam. All the happiness surveys ask people basically the same question: How happy are you?

"The answer you get is not only how they feel right now, but also how they feel about their entire life," explained Dan Buettner, who has studied happiness and longevity around the world through his Blue Zones project Buettner said that if you mine all the databases of universities and research centers, you'll find that the happiest place on earth is ? Denmark. Cold, dreary, unspectacular Denmark.

Could the Danes really be the happiest people in the world? When ABC News anchor Bill Weir traveled there to find out, he asked random Danes to rate themselves in terms of happiness, on a scale of one to 10. Many people rated themselves at least an eight, and there were several nines and 10s. Finally, one grouchy Dane came along who said she didn't believe Danes were so happy. But then she quickly conceded that she herself felt rather content with her life, and said Danes in general had very little to complain about.
Danes do have one potential complaint: high taxes. The happiest people in the world pay some of the highest taxes in the world -- between 50 percent and 70 percent of their incomes. In exchange, the government covers all health care and education, and spends more on children and the elderly than any country in the world per capita. With just 5.5 million people, the system is efficient, and people feel "tryghed" -- the Danish word for "tucked in" -- like a snug child.
Those high taxes have another effect. Since a banker can end up taking home as much money as an artist, people don't chose careers based on income or status. "They have this thing called 'Jante-lov,' which essentially says, 'You're no better then anybody else,'" said Buettner. "A garbage man can live in a middle-class neighborhood and hold his head high."

Denmark: The Happiest Place on Earth - ABC News

how many times are you going to post this?......you are the most repetitious person on this board....at least get some new shit....

It proves that if the people can be reduced to a state of infantilism they will be content as long as they have a clean diaper and tit in their mouth.

The only way a banker can take home as much as an artist is if neither have any ambition or talent. Artifically controlling the wages of the banker won't equalize the value of the artwork unless it too is artifically controlled.

The larger question is what do we do with people who are unemployable?

The guy who such an asshole that he can't hold a job for more than two weeks. Everyone knows them, most have worked with them

Do we let them starve? Go homeless, beg door to door?

The guy who such an asshole that he can't hold a job for more than two weeks. Everyone knows them, most have worked with them

So in your utopian world if you're a big enough asshole you get a free ride?

THAT figures... :cuckoo:

What is your alternative?

You want them living under a bridge, knocking on your door begging for food, getting sick and dying in the streets?

What kind of society do you want to live in?

You want them living under a bridge, knocking on your door begging for food, getting sick and dying in the streets?

2 Thessalonians 3:10

New International Version (NIV)
10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

How many are truly 'unemployable'?? Most anyone can scoop fries, shovel dirt, scrub urinals, etc

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

You don't get a free ride for being a jerk... sorry...

The alternative?? Personal responsibility...

The tacobell two blocks from the welfare office in my town has a big "help wanted" sign in the door.

the manager of DQ makes more than caseworkers...

Forum List

Back