Republicans: Do you believe that there are individuals who cannot help themselves?

The nIckster. How many poor people you taking care of Nick? How much of your money do you give away to poor people? Just curious.

Me, I don't give much money.

Why doesn't the RNC come out and demand that all Rethugs give x% of their income to charities so they can feel good about helping the poor? And just think how the rethugs could pound the Dems over their charitable giving, while the Dems are waiting for the guvmint to help.

Lead the way Nick. Set the example. This is a real good idea.

A couple of exampes: the mentally retarded and disabled veterans.

In other words, is there anyone living in this country that NEEDS and DESERVES government assistance? If not, how do you deal with these individuals?

Hey Bill,

I am extreme right to the right of Genghis Khan, but, to your question, we have a responsibility to the infirmed, all types. We need to help and provide. I work with handicap kids as a volunteer and for disabled elderly folks here in Las Cruces and they are soley dependent me and my cohorts who help them in all ways and the cost to pay for them as well. Sometimes I have to use my own money to get things for some of them. It's the way it is.

So, there is a requirement in our type of system, that, literally, one for all, all for one. Government must provide, we must pay for same.

Hope that is helpful and a very good question! Hat is tipped.

Robert

Kudos to you my friend.

I have no problem assisting those who are truly mentally or physically handicapped and in need of help.

My problem is with the able bodied out there who think nothing of cashing in on someone elses hard earned money.

Those folks can rot in hell for all I care.

You mean like these people?
Salary of retired US Presidents ................$450,000 FOR LIFE
Salary of House/Senate members ...........$174,000 FOR LIFE
Salary of Speaker of the House ...............$223,500 FOR LIFE
Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders ...........$193,400 FOR LIFE

Surely you don't mean these people:
Average salary of a soldier DEPLOYED IN AFGHANISTAN - $38,000
Average income for seniors on SOCIAL SECURITY - $12,000

I think "those folks" have a way of deflecting your myopic perception
away from them.

I volunteer with low-income seniors in my community. I would LOVE to have a hardcore right winger come along for the ride JUST FOR ONE DAY and explain away the abject squalor in which these people have to exist on A DAILY BASIS.

Rub her sore feet for her. Change her sheets, assuming she has any extra. Scoop up a few cockroaches from under her sink. Talk to her about her kids and grandkids for a bit. Ask her about her late husband, who worked hard and saved all his life, only too see his modest nest egg wiped out when he got sick. I wonder if your heart will be touched in any way, even a little. Imagine what it would be like to live like this every freakin' day. Ask yourself if America is better than this, whether it should allow Americans to exist like this from sea to shining sea.

There are many people who exist in the shadows, who qualify for just enough assistance to continue breathing. Many have varying degrees of dementia or other mental illness. For many, their personal disabilities have existed their entire lives - they never had a chance - and often runs through their families.

Hey, while you're at it, bring along a Wall Street options trader who produces absolutely nothing and takes home a seven-figure salary. Maybe he can pick up some Lysol on the way for our sick friend.

"Well, they should get help from a charity", I'll hear. Fabulous. Run the numbers. It doesn't work, even if this person KNEW about the charities. There are simply not enough resources. But don't listen to me, stop by a senior assistance center in your town, bring this topic up, and watch the look of pure hopelessness cross their face. But don't worry, I don't expect you to actually DO that. It may be unpleasant. But there's far more to it than just this - it's about whether there absolutely has to be such a massive disparity between the top and the bottom in this amazing country. Maybe everything I've said here is okay with you. It is either acceptable or not. Which is it?

Would that some people would stop equating having a little more money with "freedom and liberty". That they would stop chanting their simplistic Limbaugh/Hannity partisan slogans for just long enough to think this through a minute.

Last edited:
Hey Bill,

I am extreme right to the right of Genghis Khan, but, to your question, we have a responsibility to the infirmed, all types. We need to help and provide. I work with handicap kids as a volunteer and for disabled elderly folks here in Las Cruces and they are soley dependent me and my cohorts who help them in all ways and the cost to pay for them as well. Sometimes I have to use my own money to get things for some of them. It's the way it is.

So, there is a requirement in our type of system, that, literally, one for all, all for one. Government must provide, we must pay for same.

Robert

Kudos to you my friend.

I have no problem assisting those who are truly mentally or physically handicapped and in need of help.

My problem is with the able bodied out there who think nothing of cashing in on someone elses hard earned money.

away from them.

Nope. Only an idiot like you would include those you listed.

I mean those able bodies on Welfare who are sucking up my and every other taxpayers hard earned money.

You, being the lovely person you undoubtedly are, can assume the burden for the Welfare crowd. Kudo's to you idiot.

In other words, is there anyone living in this country that NEEDS and DESERVES government assistance? If not, how do you deal with these individuals?

Why do you start these dishonest discussions that no one is arguing.

No one argues that the disabled shouldn't get help.

We have a problem when perfectly able people collect lifetime benefits because they are "entitled".

Both parties have some of the blame for that. The Democrats for creating a welfare state, and the REpublicans who've promoted policies of dismantling unions, shipping jobs overseas and creating "McJobs".

Why do you start these dishonest discussions that no one is arguing.

No one argues that the disabled shouldn't get help.

We have a problem when perfectly able people collect lifetime benefits because they are "entitled".

Both parties have some of the blame for that. The Democrats for creating a welfare state, and the REpublicans who've promoted policies of dismantling unions, shipping jobs overseas and creating "McJobs".

Because he's an idiot.

five bucks says that most of the responses in this thread will be dodges.

there are definitely people (like disabled vets) who are without family, etc. probably not a great number, but some. that is the group that you won't get answers about.

There are 12 million minimum wage earners and more who are living at or below poverty and we expect them to save for their healthcare, chldren education and pay for a mortgage plus taxes? these people are those who need food stamp to supplement their income. Live from pay check to pay check. These people cannot take personal responsibility for all their care. Plus their chileren are working to supplement the income.
Even Jesus said pay your damn taxes, take care of the poor, widows and orphans,etc and share the wealth. (gleaning) The problem is christians do not even belive their GOD.

1 John 3:17-18

But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.

Last edited:

Go talk to Sarah Palin. There is no one more in the corner of special needs persons than her. Obama is not in their corner. You do remember his joke about special needs kids and bowling right?

Nice try trying to paint Republicans in a bad way. But Democrats are out of their league in this one.

The nIckster. How many poor people you taking care of Nick? How much of your money do you give away to poor people? Just curious.

Me, I don't give much money.

Why doesn't the RNC come out and demand that all Rethugs give x% of their income to charities so they can feel good about helping the poor? And just think how the rethugs could pound the Dems over their charitable giving, while the Dems are waiting for the guvmint to help.

Lead the way Nick. Set the example. This is a real good idea.

Idiot

Those of us that are to the right of Stalin don't demand people do anything.

petty fucking tyrant.

I dont speak for repubs, however the answer is YES. The true repubs I do know would also answer the same way.

There are persons who cannot help themselves... young orphans, those in comas, those who are paralyzed like Christopher Reeve in many cases, and those so severely retarded in their mental capacities that they cannot do even the basic survival skills... and in many of these cases they would be wards of the state if they have no family to take care of them.... and you DO know what comes with being a ward of the state, right??

But the VAST majority of people on assistance are PERFECTLY CAPABLE of taking care of themselves, working 1 or more jobs, etc... they are just too fucking lazy to do so or they are too fucking self centered to work a job that is 'beneath' them... and in the case of these people, they deserve ZERO in assistance

As some of you know, I work with the Developmentally Disabled. I am not a Republican, but I was up until 2008, when the GOP took that last turn towards insanity.

So yes, I do believe we have an obligation as a society to take care of our weakest and most vulnerable.

To KosherGirl... you have not a single clue as to what you speak. Walk a mile in a parent's shoes that has an irrational, inconsolable and violent child who has developmental disabilities before you get on your "holier than thou" kick. Then extend that to adulthood. That adult child will never work, will require 24/7 supervision, and will get to be stronger than you can handle.

There was a gentleman that I worked with some years ago. His left arm and leg were atrophied to the point that the arm was unusable and the leg would drag behind when the guy hobbled. I was young at the time and thought that the man had had a stroke or something, because he was an older gentleman. I was informed that when this man lived at home with his family, they became so desperate and didn't know what to do with this guy that they chained him to the support beam in their basement and threw food at him because they were afraid to go near him.

Isn't it just like a CONSERVATIVE Christian(note the emphasis on the word CONSERVATIVE) to pass judgment without placing yourself in another persons' situation.

The only person passing judgment here is you, idiot, on me, for asking why progressives don't want to take care of their own.

Thank you, you've explained it. Because it's hard.

My mother is the youngest of a large family and one of two left alive...neither of her parents or siblings died in nursing homes. My mother won't die in one, either. One of my uncles, who was a prisoner of war of the Japanese during WWII, suffered from mental issues and he and his wife weren't able to raise their developmentally disabled daughter and another daughter....they were taken in by one of my mom's siosters, and one of her brothers.

A VIOLENT DD person is rare and not run of the mill for DD...in the event of a VIOLENT adult who cannot be safely monitored at home, of course there must be options, and I've never proposed that there are no places to put them. I just don't think the government needs to fully fund ever child that a progressive finds "difficult". We have always had establishments for this population, yes, even before welfare and entitlement programs existed. Some were private institutions that families paid for...but most were charitable institutions run by religious organizations. Obviously, there are instances where that is still necessary.

As far as VETS go, stop cutting funding to vets. Our military has ALWAYS provided for disabled vets...to the extent that you assholes will provide funding for it to. Right now your beloved Obama is busy chopping away as fast as he can at that very funding. Take it up with him. I've never proposed cutting benefits to vets or the military, and I never will.'

But I do find the progressive assumption that if something is unpleasant, difficult, or even expensive, then it's Big Government's responsibility to relieve them of that particular burden. I'd hate to be the aging parent of progressive kids, I know that. I'd be scared to death that I'd be plopped in a nursing home as soon as I started to get forgetful, and once there, I'd be scared to death they'd find a way to kill me.

Last edited:
five bucks says that most of the responses in this thread will be dodges.

there are definitely people (like disabled vets) who are without family, etc. probably not a great number, but some. that is the group that you won't get answers about.

I answered it. Quit cutting military funding, progressive asswipe. Allow them enough money to have a strong standing military AND take care of our vets. That one is all you guys.

Hey Bill,

Robert

Kudos to you my friend.

away from them.

so you think we should increase military spending and leave their insurance the fuck alone?

Good! We agree!

It is generally agreed that we have an obligation to take care of those who cannot care for themselves. Unfortunately we can no longer tell the difference between someone who cannot take care of themselves from someone who chooses not to take care of themselves. If we took care of those who were TRULY disabled or infirm we wouldn't have so many who needed care. But we have 250 pound buffed out ex-cons who are "disabled" except when it comes to working out at the gym, and blinged out welfare mothers that we pay to do nothing.

I love it when libs try to paint conservatives as greedy and evil, not caring about those less fortunate. It makes for a great opportunity to rub their noses in their own shit.
Arthur Brooks’s book, “Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism” is a book that states the FACTS about who gives and who doesn’t in America. The findings detailed in the book were quite surprising to me, and to Arthur Brooks himself, as he states in the book. This book was the focus of an ABC News 20/20 report entitled “Cheap in America” Who Gives and Who Dosen’t”

A common perception is that liberals and Democrats are more “socially concerned” than conservative Republicans, and one might make the natural leap that because of this, they are more likely to be charitable. According to the research that Arthur Brooks conducted though, it’s exactly the opposite. How could that be? That’s impossible!

Brooks himself thought there might be an error in the numbers so he rechecked them. There was no denying the facts. Conservative Republicans, (who some argue would fire their grandmother to improve profitability) are statistically more charitable (more than 30% more charitable) compared to their “socially concerned” liberal democratic friends. Don’t shoot the messenger if you don’t like this, read the book and see the statistics for yourself. Just the facts here…
Arthur Brooks “Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism” | THE LIFE & WEALTH BALANCE

Forum List

Back