Republicans, Democrats, why don't americans approve of your party?

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
RealClearPolitics - RealClearPolitics Poll Averages

President approve (46%) disapprove (48%)

Congressional Job Approval, approve (13%) disapprove (84%)

Essentially 53 dems and 47 reps. House is 242 reps, 191 dems.

Direction of Country, Right direction (30%), wrong track (64%)

Don't tell me why americans don't like the other party, tell me why they don't like your party.

Last edited:
Ron Paul is part of this congress too.

Or are you suggesting each respondent said they disapproved of all of congress EXCEPT for Ron Paul?

The disapproval isn't about party its about our current status. And by the way about 60% of voters are registered to these two parties as opposed to what percent are registered libertarians? I don't see the public flocking to your cause.

Or are you suggesting each respondent said they disapproved of all of congress EXCEPT for Ron Paul?

The disapproval isn't about party its about our current status. And by the way about 60% of voters are registered to these two parties as opposed to what percent are registered libertarians? I don't see the public flocking to your cause.

Never said the name Paul, not sure why you're insinuating.

I'm asking members of the parties who run this country why the people don't like them.

That's all, no need to deflect, no need to get defensive and I'm not a member of the libertarian party.

I'm asking members of the parties who run this country why the people don't like them.

That's all, no need to deflect, no need to get defensive and I'm not a member of the libertarian party.

I didn't deflect. You just ignored that part of my post.

Even a simpleton knows the answer. Bad times equal low approval.

Don't tell me why americans don't like the other party, tell me why they don't like your party.

Interesting question. I am eager to hear how liberals answer this.

In my opinion people who are opposed to the GOP do so for a variety of reasons.

1) (and the most simple explanation) they understand our ideas and simply disagree with them.

2) They have been raised by their parents or their environment to hate the GOP but they really have no idea what Republicans believe (I see this a lot on both sides)

3) There's a lot of bias in media in favor of the liberal position. MSNBC, CNN, NYT, WaPo, etc essentially demonize the Republicans, twist the facts, engage in vitriolic rhetoric...essentially engage in a propaganda campaign. Republicans do this too of course, but liberals have a much stronger hold on media

4) I think the GOP could do a whole lot better about being inclusive. Our party was founded on freedom and equality. We were created to end slavery, we fought for the civil rights laws in the 60s while Democrats opposed them. That's what we have always been about, yet now we're in a major war against gays and we do a real shitty job reaching out to black, Jewish, and Hispanic voters all of whom (when you really think about it) should be supporting the Republican party. The Republicans are the party of family values. Well that's very important in minority cultures. Historically,again we have been the party of equality which is important to those cultures as well....certainly the Democrats haven't done a whole lot to help their cause. We're that party that says anyone can find success on their own merits regardless of race or gender, etc. We have enough faith in you that you can do it yourself. Democrats apparently believe people of color need the white man's help to find success. Republicans want people to be tax payers and that means getting people out of poverty. Democrats want people to be tax receivers because if people are dependent on the the government drug they will get more votes. They need people in poverty. Poverty is of course a big issue with those cultures. So why do they vote Democrat when in reality they should be voting Republican? Probably a combination of the above three points, but again we do a real shitty job of getting that message across and our persecution of homosexuals really gives liberals a big thing to point at and say "look...they hate everyone but themselves. They hate you too."

Mainly though it's stupidity. In my experience very few people really understand their own party let alone the other one. On USMB for the most part you see people who generally know what they are talking about, but keep in mind we are here because we're the small percentage that actually cares and pays enough attention to really understand it. The vast majority of Americans are stupid as a head of cabbage. I would say that if you took a random poll on a street corner and asked people what Fast and Furious is maybe 20%-30% would know. The rest would think it's a movie about auto racing.

Last edited:

I wonder who helped cause the bad times..................................

From an independent perspective, my reasons are as follows:

BOTH parties are full of paid off, dishonest, hypocritical politicians who are far more concerned with raising campaign funds and getting re-elected than in legislating in the best interests of the country.

BOTH parties have successful election cycles and then immediately interpret that success as a 100% mandate to shove their entire agenda right down our throats, and are then surprised when they are later summarily bounced out of office for that idiocy.

BOTH parties are polluted by politicians and supporters who employ spin, hyperbole, diversion, denial, distortion and outright lies as a matter of second nature, and as a result have zero credibility.

BOTH parties are filled with transparent partisans who, when confronted with a clear lie or hypocrisy, immediately point the finger and say, "well, sure, but THOSE OTHER GUYS, boy, THEY'RE even WORSE." How proud they must be.

And we're sick of it.

Hey, aside from that, both parties are just fabulous.

Last edited:

The better question is who didnt?

We've been on this path for a half century.

So what's your point?

So what's your point?

They're kind of the same question. Who helped cause the bad times (reps, dems, the Fed). Who didn't is basically spreading the blame to those 3 also.

Just trying to get members of the parties to tell me why they think americans don't support their parties, like i keep saying.

So what's your point?

They're kind of the same question. Who helped cause the bad times (reps, dems, the Fed). Who didn't is basically spreading the blame to those 3 also.

Just trying to get members of the parties to tell me why they think americans don't support their parties, like i keep saying.

I think you misread the polls and the mood of Americans. Most Americans probably wouldn't care who was in power in DC if they would just curb the spending and growth of govt. Each party has a core set of beliefs that many people believe in. Belief in those principles supersede what a few idiots in congress are doing. They don't disapprove of the parties so much as they do the individuals.

For instance as a goper I HATE my choices this year. Having said that I will support whom ever wins in hope that the damage they do will be much less than that of Obama. If they got the message of the 2010 elections they will do fine. If they didn't then I will vote against them in the next election. Many of you on here demand a PURE candidate. Sorry, not in the cards. We have what we have and we can either try to be involved and influence outcomes or we can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that standing on the demands of purity will fix this country as it passes us by.

So what's your point?

I think you misread the polls and the mood of Americans. Most Americans probably wouldn't care who was in power in DC if they would just curb the spending and growth of govt. Each party has a core set of beliefs that many people believe in. Belief in those principles supersede what a few idiots in congress are doing. They don't disapprove of the parties so much as they do the individuals.

For instance as a goper I HATE my choices this year. Having said that I will support whom ever wins in hope that the damage they do will be much less than that of Obama. If they got the message of the 2010 elections they will do fine. If they didn't then I will vote against them in the next election. Many of you on here demand a PURE candidate. Sorry, not in the cards. We have what we have and we can either try to be involved and influence outcomes or we can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that standing on the demands of purity will fix this country as it passes us by.

My only demand is my candidate be a fiscal conservative. As you know I support Paul, and my views on abortion and gay marriage differ from his and I think his view of evolution is embarassing especially coming from a doctor. Couldn't care less about those disagreements since he's a fiscally responsible small gov't conservative.

But the problem is there are no other fiscal conservatives in either party, if there ever is, I'll support them.

But i think most americans are either numb to, or dislike our 2 party system. That's why our voter turnout sucks and why so many people openly admit to voting for evil (lesser of 2 evils).

So what's your point?

its sad that people will only vote to "defeat Obama".. I'm sure thats what our founding fathers wanted this country to come to: 2 political parties so evil that people have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Absolutely disgraceful what these political parties have done to this country..

its sad that people will only vote to "defeat Obama".. I'm sure thats what our founding fathers wanted this country to come to: 2 political parties so evil that people have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Absolutely disgraceful what these political parties have done to this country..

LMAO!!! Might I suggest you do some research on three founding fathers in particular: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Alexander Hamilton specifically in regard to their political maneuvering from roughly 1789 - 1809 and then look back at your above statement. I hate to tell you this pal, but it's been like this from day one.

Since 1975 Congressional approval has been below 50%, except for a short period in 2002...

Congress

I love US Senator Marco Rubio.. Not so much congresspersonwitch wassernameschlutz.

From an independent perspective, my reasons are as follows:

BOTH parties are full of paid off, dishonest, hypocritical politicians who are far more concerned with raising campaign funds and getting re-elected than in legislating in the best interests of the country.

BOTH parties have successful election cycles and then immediately interpret that success as a 100% mandate to shove their entire agenda right down our throats, and are then surprised when they are later summarily bounced out of office for that idiocy.

BOTH parties are polluted by politicians and supporters who employ spin, hyperbole, diversion, denial, distortion and outright lies as a matter of second nature, and as a result have zero credibility.

BOTH parties are filled with transparent partisans who, when confronted with a clear lie or hypocrisy, immediately point the finger and say, "well, sure, but THOSE OTHER GUYS, boy, THEY'RE even WORSE." How proud they must be.

Mac's points above could not be more accurate. There's a reason why the Independents are growing rapidly and the above pretty much sums it up but there's one more reason. It's that both parties more and more adopt an "all or nothing" attitude within the members of their party. For example, I am a Republican but I support the right of homosexuals to marry. I can't tell you how many times my GOP colleagues have told me I am "not a real Republican", I am a RINO, or flat "get out of my party."

Well shit, it would be real easy for me to take the position of "well if that's the way it's going to be I can change my registration to Independent in a real hurry and don't come bitching at me when the GOP struggles to put people into office 'cause you said I wasn't wanted here."

The same thing happens with liberals as well and again it creates turmoil within either party and gives the opposition something to splatter all over the net, the papers, and the evening news which in turn works to enhance the media propaganda machine.

Forum List

Back