Republicans continue to commit political suicide.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 52ndStreet, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Republican minority leader John Boehner, (R), from Ohio, and other prominent Republicans
    continue their tunnel vision failed policy, of voting no on social stimulus programs, for the poor
    and middle class in America. This "No" vote mentality, just further alienates the GOP, from
    many ordinary Americans. It also makes the Republicans look cold and heartless.

If this "No vote" mentality continues, the Republican party may be out of the White House, and the office of the Presidency for a very long time. This is nothing more than pure, unadulterated, Political Suicide.

This will be, nothing less than, capitulation to the democratic party, for long into the future.
    And it can be avoided, if only the Republicans will adjust their ideology more towards middle
    class needs and desires.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Tristan

Tristan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site.
    Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site.
    *"Just 31% of Keystone State voters say are more likely to vote for Specter because of his position on the stimulus package while 40% are less likely to do so."

I guess time will tell how the voters will react. The stimulus bill will not help anyone IMO but I do have my fingers crossed that it will not do a huge amount of damage, again only time will tell.

3. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    It is not the Republicans who have the most to lose - but rather the Democrats.

This is their bill - Obama's bill, and if it fails to deliver, then there will be much deserved political hell to pay.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    My point is, we can not continue to do nothing about the current economic situation, of the
    middle class and poor in America. Short of avoiding all out anarchy, and social unrest,something had to be done. I will need time to validate and analyze your numbers, and statistics.

5. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Many are saying, it may not be enough to stimulate the American and or Global economy.!?
    I Agree , this could all backfire on the Democrats Big time.!

6. Tristan

Tristan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm for doing something but there may well be a case for doing nothing rather than spend more money than we have, and spending more than we have ever spent on anything on a "plan" that is wasteful and not stimulative.

Being histrionic about a coming anarchy (or "economic catastrophe") is more hurtful than helpful and is no excuse to send a billion dollars to one's ACORN vote fraud pals and any number of other pork filled pet projects.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. jeffrockit

jeffrockit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +165
    My point is, we can not continue to do nothing about the current economic situation, of the
    middle class and poor in America. Short of avoiding all out anarchy, and social unrest,something had to be done. I will need time to validate and analyze your numbers, and statistics.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, however about 1/3 or the money goes to pork and pet projects for the Dems which will be of no help for the poor/middle class. This bill could have been so much better and actually helped the ones in need and instead it became nothing more than politics as usual for the party in the majority.

8. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Agreed, however about 1/3 or the money goes to pork and pet projects for the Dems which will be of no help for the poor/middle class. This bill could have been so much better and actually helped the ones in need and instead it became nothing more than politics as usual for the party in the majority.[/QUOTE]

I agree too:

I just read this stimulus bill. This bill will not create jobs immediately. It's more designed for infracstructure--which takes years of planning & design. Broadband for rural areas around the country, road & bridge work. Those type workers are skilled--heavy equipment operators, technical workers, etc.

This bill is not designed to put unskilled--uneducated workers back to work. So the Americans you're referring to, in my opinion get no help, with the exception of $25.00 more in their unemployment checks--an extension of time for unemployment benefits--& help with their medical insurance--if they had any with their former employer.

The root of this economic crisis is really not even addressed. Which is to stop the foreclosures. The only thing in this bill is for "first" time home buyers whom will get a credit of $7000.00 to buy their first home? Credit is very tight--these people are going to have to have excellent credit & this time actually be able to afford the home--& with a down payment of 20 or 30%. The government under the Republican plan was to offer "everyone" a 15,000.00 tax credit to buy homes. This plan would have been much more effective in stimulating the housing market, & bringing property values up.

Time will tell--but I sure don't see an immediate comeback of our economy in this bill. In fact, the stock market a very good indicator of what they believe is the future of our economy--(6 to 9 months out) just had another triple digit loss today--after the signing of this bill--which indicates that Wall St. doesn't believe it's going to work either.

Since this bill passed with the signatures of a majority democrat lead congress-senate-President--I imagine it will be they that end up loosing sleep over this one. Because after a few months the exact same Americans that voted for them--will be wondering where all these new jobs are to be found. Democrats will end up owning this one.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  9. Zoomie1980

Zoomie1980 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Actually is a very shrewd political gamble that this stimulus (aka, PORKULUS) will not work. And when it doesn't they will be able to claim they had no part in it. Obama has pinned his Presidency on this stimulus and if he can't deliver, in his own words, he's a ONE TERM President. If it works, yes, Repubs are even in more trouble. But it won't work because it doesn;t directly address the problem.

10. Zoomie1980

Zoomie1980 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I agree too:

I just read this stimulus bill. This bill will not create jobs immediately. It's more designed for infracstructure--which takes years of planning & design. Broadband for rural areas around the country, road & bridge work. Those type workers are skilled--heavy equipment operators, technical workers, etc.

This bill is not designed to put unskilled--uneducated workers back to work. So the Americans you're referring to, in my opinion get no help, with the exception of $25.00 more in their unemployment checks--an extension of time for unemployment benefits--& help with their medical insurance--if they had any with their former employer.

The root of this economic crisis is really not even addressed. Which is to stop the foreclosures. The only thing in this bill is for "first" time home buyers whom will get a credit of $7000.00 to buy their first home? Credit is very tight--these people are going to have to have excellent credit & this time actually be able to afford the home--& with a down payment of 20 or 30%. The government under the Republican plan was to offer "everyone" a 15,000.00 tax credit to buy homes. This plan would have been much more effective in stimulating the housing market, & bringing property values up.

Time will tell--but I sure don't see an immediate comeback of our economy in this bill. In fact, the stock market a very good indicator of what they believe is the future of our economy--(6 to 9 months out) just had another triple digit loss today--after the signing of this bill--which indicates that Wall St. doesn't believe it's going to work either.

Since this bill passed with the signatures of a majority democrat lead congress-senate-President--I imagine it will be they that end up loosing sleep over this one. Because after a few months the exact same Americans that voted for them--will be wondering where all these new jobs are to be found. Democrats will end up owning this one.[/QUOTE]

We are in for a very long term economic slow period, even if the housing market hadn't collapsed and Wall St. had not gone beserk with risk.

The main reason is for the past 40 years the baby boomers have been spending but now America's largest demographic is retiring. They have entered the fixed income parts of their lives and thus will largely cease spending. They have bought their house, no longer need new cars, have accumulated all the electronics and big ticket consumer items they need, so they are done and gone is all their spending.

Replaced by MUCH SMALLER age groups and penniless immigrants.