Republicans Cave Again! Huzzah!

SmarterThanYou said:
so lets reduce advise and consent down to consent. The proverbial rubber stamp.
Nahhh...how about down to the will of the people..you know, those who elected these guys.
But on the other hand even to have a rubber stamp, ya need a vote. Funny how that works. That's the way I remember it working anyway.:eek2:

SmarterThanYou said:
so lets reduce advise and consent down to consent. The proverbial rubber stamp.

Come on, you are smarter than this. No one is asking them to rubber stamp them. We are asking them to actually do their job and debate and vote. Advise and consent doesn't happen if the Senate cant debate and vote.

gop_jeff said:
Still not sure how I feel about this. But I do know that 7 GOP Senators have now made themselves targets for their next primaries.

What is sad is McCain doesn't realize he basically just destroyed any chance of him winning the Republican nomination in 08.

What is sad is McCain doesn't realize he basically just destroyed any chance of him winning the Republican nomination in 08.

Not that he had a chance before.

I would never vote for McCain.

gop_jeff said:
Not that he had a chance before.

I would never vote for McCain.

Nor would I. And, I'm in the kind of "wait and see" frame of mind that I imagine you're in, Jeff. But I will say this. Now is the time to restore the actual meaning of the term "filibuster". If a politician feels strongly enough about an issue to hold up the nation's business, let him do it for real - loudly, incessantly, and in front of God, C-Span and everybody.

Maybe he plans to become the Democrat candidate.

musicman said:
Nor would I. And, I'm in the kind of "wait and see" frame of mind that I imagine you're in, Jeff. But I will say this. Now is the time to restore the actual meaning of the term "filibuster". If a politician feels strongly enough about an issue to hold up the nation's business, let him do it for real - loudly, incessantly, and in front of God, C-Span and everybody.

Good call. Although it requires 51 senators present to keep them filibustering.

ScreamingEagle said:
Unbeliveable. Dealing with the devil once again. McCain can kiss his presidential hopes goodbye.
the big battle is coming....filling the supreme court vacancies is on the horizon...rumor has it that rehnquist will be stepping down in the next month....i think the republicans traded those 3 or 4 judges to extract that promise of no fillibuster from the dems for this reason....they are willing to hold the dems to the fire over the supreme court....lets see if the dems go back on their "no fillibuster" promise..if they do, they make themselves look like a bunch of obstructionist pricks....

green lantern said:
the big battle is coming....filling the supreme court vacancies is on the horizon...rumor has it that rehnquist will be stepping down in the next month....i think the republicans traded those 3 or 4 judges to extract that promise of no fillibuster from the dems for this reason....they are willing to hold the dems to the fire over the supreme court....lets see if the dems go back on their "no fillibuster" promise..if they do, they make themselves look like a bunch of obstructionist pricks....

they already look like a bunch of obstructionist pricks. Relying on Dems to keep their word is shaky ground at best. This was not planned this way gy the GOP, trading 3 or 4 judges to a Democratic promise not to filibuster the SC nominations. After all, why do that when they could have had all their judges voted on, and a legal guarantee of no filibuster? Instead, we have the word of John McCain and Sheets Byrd.

And mark my words. The first time Bush nominate pro-life judge to fill a vacancy left by a pro-choice judge, those will be "extraordinary circumstances". Not so much Rhenquist, becuase that would would be pro-life for pro-life. But just watch.

Before I give my take on this, I want to make it clear that I do not support the filibuster. I think it was a mechanism the Democrats put in place to achieve their goals when they ruled the Congress for so many years. There is no reason why the Republican Majority cannot now change the rule to a simple majority, and they should.

That being said, I applaud these 14 senators for recognizing the need to work together on this very divisive issue for both parties. Something has got to be done to try to correct the toxic atmosphere in Washington, and I think these 14 senators recognize that and are trying to establish a foundation for working together on important national business.

The Republicans have not learned that they are the majority party now, and the Democrats have not learned that they are not, so I think this is the only way things are going to work in Washington for the foreseeable future. I just hope in a few years we can look back on this group of 14 senators and recognize that they were the start of changing the highly charged political atmosphere in Washington. Bush gave it a shot and failed. Maybe these 14 will be more successful. The only other alternative is for the people to reject the obstructionists at the ballot box. I am sure Ted Kennedy and others like him are shaking in their boots at the very thought of that. :rolleyes:

SmarterThanYou said:
thats saddening. unless rush got it from her also, then it would be ok.

try googling it. it's actually pretty common among the right part of the blogosphere.

All this doesn't matter 1 fucking iota. Repubs caved once again on this and also on this little diddy....STEM CELL RESEARCH. Congressional Repubs could give two shits less about any fucking one of us. They sold out on Schiavo, gave in to spineless moderates on the fillibuster and contradicted themselves on Schiavo with stem cell, they are a joke.

Consider the Constitution party in 08 since there are no social conservatives left in power.

Think i'm wrong? Giuliani is pro abortion and pro queer marriage. McCain is to Repubs what Zell Miller is to Demos and Rice doesn't have a chance in hell because of gender and race in America.

Forum List

Back