Republicans: Bullshitting about Death Panels in Plain Sight

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
False Euthanasia Claims | FactCheck.org

Boehner/McCotter statement, July 23: Section 1233 of the House-drafted legislation encourages health care providers to provide their Medicare patients with counseling on “the use of artificially administered nutrition and hydration” and other end of life treatments, and may place seniors in situations where they feel pressured to sign end of life directives they would not otherwise sign. This provision may start us down a treacherous path toward government-encouraged euthanasia if enacted into law.

We can’t argue with Boehner’s claim that counseling “may” cause more seniors to refuse treatment such as artificial nutrition and hydration, but we see no evidence that it will. There’s certainly no requirement in the bill that seniors decline life support or extraordinary measures of medical treatment.
Furthermore, seniors have had control over the end-of-life issues the Republicans are concerned about for a long time. California first legally ratified the use of advance directives like living wills in 1976, and the 1990 Patient Self-Determination Act mandated patients’ rights to decide what degree of intervention they prefer.

Though there are still controversies over what care patients should be allowed to refuse and under what circumstances, the fact is that the right to refuse care is nothing new.

As for the argument claiming that this is the first step on a slippery slope leading to government-encouraged euthanasia, that’s a stretch. The right to draw up an advance directive is federally guaranteed, but doctor-assisted suicide is legal in only three states. It would take a lot more than Medicare-funded counseling for voluntary euthanasia to become a standard government recommendation.

The original author of this part of the legislation responded to Boehner’s and McCotter’s statement on the House floor, saying that "nothing could be further from the truth." The section under question was based on a stand-alone piece of legislation sponsored by Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon and Republican Rep. Charles Boustany of Louisiana. Three more Democrats and another Republican cosponsored the legislation. On July 24, Blumenauer expressed his "disappointment" in Boehner’s misinterpretation of the bipartisan bill:

Now where have I heard that name Charles Boustany before.

Oh right..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mObCO8mpGPs]YouTube - GOP Response to Barack Obama Speech to Congress: Rep. Charles Boustany [R-LA][/ame]

:eusa_eh:

Republicans are saying the Democrats are trying to kill Grandma with Death Panels except that whole part of the bill was part of a separate bill that was cosponsored by the man who did the Republican response last night.

If that's not bullshitting in plain sight, I'm not sure what is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dQfb8WQvo]YouTube - Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill[/ame]

While we are still partners with God in matters of Life and Death, due to public pressure we have dropped the Death Panels in favor of a lottery system.

Dems should either fire the Eugenicists who advise Obam or just shut the fuck up

Again you dishonest Republican fucks. Concept pulled the same shit last night.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYvaLS-xOw&feature=related]YouTube - Obama to Jane Sturm take a pill (long version in context)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8PXAt8HEY]YouTube - Prescription for America Part 3 ABC News[/ame]

Why not post the entire context? Afraid the truth will show that your out of context bullshit is exactly that? Get the fuck out of this thread.

Last edited:
Republicans are saying the Democrats are trying to kill Grandma with Death Panels except that whole part of the bill was part of a separate bill that was cosponsored by the man who did the Republican response last night.

Who determines what treatment you get? Will everyone be able to get the latest and greatest cancer treatments, regardless of age and standard of living?

Healthcare doesn't grow on trees, friend. The uncomfortable truth is that in any government healthcare system, HR 3200 notwithstanding, federal accountants will ultimately be calling the shots. The term "Death Panels" dramatizes this truth.

Last edited:

Actually they are not. What they are saying, based upon the 'unofficial', yet gov't available brochure to our wounded warriors, is they are pushing questions that lead to answers to off oneself, or be a selfish bastard that burdens one's family.

well why don't you tell us who will suffer when they cut 500 billion dollars from medicare..

Again you dishonest Republican fucks. Concept pulled the same shit last night.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYvaLS-xOw&feature=related]YouTube - Obama to Jane Sturm take a pill (long version in context)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8PXAt8HEY]YouTube - Prescription for America Part 3 ABC News[/ame]

Why not post the entire context? Afraid the truth will show that your out of context bullshit is exactly that? Get the fuck out of this thread.

I posted the shortest version because we listen to that dishonest fuck talk enough. Last night was 40 fucking minutes of lies and bloviating.

Actually they are not. What they are saying, based upon the 'unofficial', yet gov't available brochure to our wounded warriors, is they are pushing questions that lead to answers to off oneself, or be a selfish bastard that burdens one's family.

Lies, plain and simple. Considering this is from the same group of people who suddenly give a fuck about the seniors (after wanting to cut Medicare earlier) this is pure hypocrisy.

Republicans supported the same language in 2003 in a bill. So I guess Republicans want Grandma dead too then huh? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
I posted the shortest version because we listen to that dishonest fuck talk enough. Last night was 40 fucking minutes of lies and bloviating.

Did you not hear me the first time you partisan hack? Now you're lying and nobody forced you to watch his speech last night. That was your own choice, yet you act like someone put a gun to your head. Stop being a dishonest prick.

Did you not hear me the first time you partisan hack? Now you're lying and nobody forced you to watch his speech last night. That was your own choice, yet you act like someone put a gun to your head. Stop being a dishonest prick.

You'll support Obama no matter what he says or does. I support no politician unconditionally. So who's the partisan hack ? ........:eusa_whistle:

Lies, plain and simple. Considering this is from the same group of people who suddenly give a fuck about the seniors (after wanting to cut Medicare earlier) this is pure hypocrisy.

Republicans supported the same language in 2003 in a bill. So I guess Republicans want Grandma dead too then huh? :eusa_eh:
Medicare is in critical condition, and so both parties are right in attempting to address the problem. Whichever party manages to fix medicare, however, will incur the wrath of millions of voting seniors. This is why the problem is still with us today...

Last edited:
You'll support Obama no matter what he says or does. I support no politician unconditionally. So who's the partisan hack ? ........:eusa_whistle:

You're like the Republican response last night, did you even bother to fucking listen you hack?

I have even said in this thread I believe that Obama left out key specifics last night. I have said I disagreed with several things in his speech last night. I disagree with MANY of his current policies, many of which are following the Bush Administration's former ways. Those same ways he spoke out against as a candidate.

So no, I don't support Obama no matter what he says or does. I am probably his biggest "Liberal" critic on this board. You may support no politician unconditionally but you'll support one side unconditionally. So before you run your mouth, know the facts you partisan hack.

Medicare is in critical condition, and so both parties are right in attempting to address the problem. Whichever party manages to fix medicare, however, will incur the wrath of millions of voting seniors. This is why the problem is still with us today...

I don't think you understand, cutting Medicare means getting rid of it. Which means many seniors will be angry about for good reason. You will have just cut for many of them their own source of income in their twilight years. This will include the widows of Veterans for example, so what the fuck is American about that?

Stop trying to feed me bullshit while calling it veal, it doesn't fly here. Simply removing Medicare is not solving the problem, it's merely creating a new problem.

You're like the Republican response last night, did you even bother to fucking listen you hack?

I have even said in this thread I believe that Obama left out key specifics last night. I have said I disagreed with several things in his speech last night. I disagree with MANY of his current policies, many of which are following the Bush Administration's former ways. Those same ways he spoke out against as a candidate.

So no, I don't support Obama no matter what he says or does. I am probably his biggest "Liberal" critic on this board. You may support no politician unconditionally but you'll support one side unconditionally. So before you run your mouth, know the facts you partisan hack.

Most threads you post are either:

A) Demonizing Republicans

or

B) Cheerleading Obama/Dems ....

Edit: Correction, i give you credit for post 17 here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/healthcare-insurance-govt-healthcare/87798-gop-refuses-to-make-concessions-on-health-care-2.html

Last edited:

I don't think you understand, cutting Medicare means getting rid of it. Which means many seniors will be angry about for good reason. You will have just cut for many of them their own source of income in their twilight years. This will include the widows of Veterans for example, so what the fuck is American about that?

Stop trying to feed me bullshit while calling it veal, it doesn't fly here. Simply removing Medicare is not solving the problem, it's merely creating a new problem.
If you are about to go bankrupt, is it un-American to tighten your belt and cut expenses? We either need to dramatically reduce the size of Medicare, or dramatically increase the Medicare taxes on my generation. Our collective denial of the problem has only made it worse.

Well, we could let the current situation continue until Medicare collapses due to insolvency, or the country collapses due to money printing/hyperinflation. Our seniors won't care, because they don't have to live with the consequences!

P.S. When you cut expenses, does that mean you eliminate ALL expenses? I'd check the dictionary if I were you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back