Republicans block repeal of 21 Billion Dollars in oil subsidies

I have for 3 years now, and I am not a liberal (or a conservative) for that matter.

Then I salute you for your effort. What are you doing instead?
Using coal, hydroelectricity, natural gas and I don't recycle as I feel its a waste of time (don't believe the propaganda, plastic packaging is the main cause of waste, not plastic bags). I walk or catch the train.

Plastic bags actually take up less space in a landfill then paper and neither degrades once entombed. I read a study that plastic takes 1/2 - 1/3 the volume in a landfill. I think the real issue is surface litter. a paper bag in a parking lot will degrade after a few rain storms, plastic will not.

But no other path really, hydrogen is still far off, and biofuel hasn't finished starving the Africans to death yet.

Ironically, your country is best-suited to implement a smart grid at a lower cost due to size of your country. Don't you blokes currently utilize geothermal too?
Yes, but a lot of electricity still comes from coal and natural gas.

The installed generating capacity of New Zealand (all sources) as of December 2009 was 9,486 megawatts (MW), composed of 56.7% hydroelectricity, 18.4% natural gas, 10.0% coal, 6.9% geothermal, 5.2% wind, 1.6% oil, and 1.3% other sources (mainly biogas, waste heat and wood) [4]
A total of 43,401 GWh was generated in New Zealand in 2010. Of the electricity generated, it composed of 56.4% hydroelectricity, 21.2 % natural gas, 12.8% geothermal, 4.5% coal, 3.7% wind, <0.1% oil, and 1.4% other sources.[1]
Electricity sector in New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you live in a city like Chicago 90% of your electric comes from nuclear..... The other 10% you steal from the farmers.

Just so you know...

Last edited:
Which is exactly why the oil industry doesn't need subsidies.

My question is, to anyone, if we are going to lose 21 billion in revenues in a subsidy for big oil,

who do you want to tax to make up that revenue loss?

The oil industry does not get subsidies.

So the per-unit subsidy for extracting from marginal sources doesn't exist?

Really?

The government does not give them money, they deduct it as an expense from their gross income to determine taxable income. Learn the difference and we can discuss the merits of reforming the tax code.

Senate Democrats voted on Tuesday to strip the top five oil companies of tax breaks worth some $21 billion over 10 years, with the savings to go to paying down the deficit. Republicans will respond on Wednesday with a bill to boost oil production by extending leases affected by President Obama&#8217;s drilling moratorium after the Gulf oil spill.

While the Tuesday bill fell short of the 60 votes it needed to proceed, it was intended to send a message: Republicans would rather help Big Oil than cut deficits or meet the needs of struggling Americans.

Bill to chop Big Oil's tax breaks falls short

merging with existing thread

in fact RW? If you don't LIKE IT? Cease driving. Buy a bike at the risk of making the BICYCLE Consortium RICH...

CEASE using your computer...all those plastics and all can't be good for the environment....Isn't GREEN because MOST power you garner is from COAL/OIL...Polluters that you HATE...but yet you give them MONEY and them complain of it...

Do you feel like a fucking hyporcrite yet?

*YOU SHOULD*
I want to see every anti oil liberal stop using it. Even for just 1 year. Show us you really mean what you say for a change.
I have for 3 years now, and I am not a liberal (or a conservative) for that matter.

If you are using a computer, which you are, you are using petroleum products. Not to mention all the other plastics that you use each and every day.

Want to try again?

I want to see every anti oil liberal stop using it. Even for just 1 year. Show us you really mean what you say for a change.

If you are using a computer, which you are, you are using petroleum products. Not to mention all the other plastics that you use each and every day.

Want to try again?

Interesting the ones that disparage the use USE it...without forethought...If they were TRUE to their word? They'd CEASE what they do...

They're HYPOCRITES in my book and NOT up to the challange by any stretch

But no other path really, hydrogen is still far off, and biofuel hasn't finished starving the Africans to death yet.

Ironically, your country is best-suited to implement a smart grid at a lower cost due to size of your country. Don't you blokes currently utilize geothermal too?
Yes, but a lot of electricity still comes from coal and natural gas.

The installed generating capacity of New Zealand (all sources) as of December 2009 was 9,486 megawatts (MW), composed of 56.7% hydroelectricity, 18.4% natural gas, 10.0% coal, 6.9% geothermal, 5.2% wind, 1.6% oil, and 1.3% other sources (mainly biogas, waste heat and wood) [4]
A total of 43,401 GWh was generated in New Zealand in 2010. Of the electricity generated, it composed of 56.4% hydroelectricity, 21.2 % natural gas, 12.8% geothermal, 4.5% coal, 3.7% wind, <0.1% oil, and 1.4% other sources.[1]
Electricity sector in New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah yes. Very informative. A model distribution. Other countries aren't so fortunate to have a distribution like that.

Want to try again?

Interesting the ones that disparage the use USE it...without forethought...If they were TRUE to their word? They'd CEASE what they do...

I love how they bitch about what the republicans did when they were in charge. Then when the democrats are in charge and do the same thing or nothing about it, the still bitch about what the republicans did when they were in charge. Always the blame game with these jokers.

$21 billion over 10 years? That's chump change to the Treasury but to this country it means jobs, economic activity, improved trade deficit, additions to the GDP, and taxes and royalties to local state and federal treasuries.

In other words, the Republicans got their shit together on this one. :thup:

Want to try again?

I love how they bitch about what the republicans did when they were in charge. Then when the democrats are in charge and do the same thing or nothing about it, the still bitch about what the republicans did when they were in charge. Always the blame game with these jokers.

Not only do they bitch about it? They TRIPLED the effort...

They want the Debt ceiling raised...but BITCHED about it being raised in 2006...and even our LOSER of a POTUS said it wasn't right at the time.

These people live with two faces...you see the one presented depending whom is in power...

What Chris can't quite seem to grasp is that taxes on corporations are a business expense figured into the cost of their product. Raise their taxes and you will pay more for gasoline and diesel. Raise the price of gas and diesel, and you raise the price of everything that is transported from a manufacturer to your local Wall-mart.

Those aren&#8217;t subsidies those are right offs same as any business gets, any business can right off their expenses. To single out oil companies and say they can't do that is stupid liberal distractions

Pick an industry, target the top 5 players within that industry, then collectively take $2.1 billion per year from them over the next 10 years. What is with this inordinate loathing of petroleum?

Easy targets, scapegoats, and a public ignorant enough to eat bullshit for breakfast - yup the ingredients are there.

Not only do they bitch about it? They TRIPLED the effort...

They want the Debt ceiling raised...but BITCHED about it being raised in 2006...and even our LOSER of a POTUS said it wasn't right at the time.

These people live with two faces...you see the one presented depending whom is in power...

They can't spend it fast enough. It's amazing. How can anyone not see the damage this out of control spending is causing?

rdean misleads yet again. From the link:
The bill is expected to be defeated in a procedural vote in the evening.
Democrats have 53 votes in the Senate. How did the vote go down? All Democrats voted for it right?
Congressional Record - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Close Big Oil Tax Loopholes Act: Senate began consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of S.940, to reduce the Federal budget deficit by closing big oil tax loopholes.

During consideration of this measure today, Senate also took the following action:
By 52 yeas to 48 nays (Vote No. 72), Senate did not agree to the motion to proceed to consideration of the bill.

A unanimous-consent agreement was reached providing that having failed to achieve 60-affirmative votes, the motion to proceed to consideration of the bill, be withdrawn
53 - 52 = 1. Who was the Democrat who voted against it?
Begich (D) Alaska.
Well, why did he vote against it then? From his Senate website:
Press Releases - News - U.S. Senator for Alaska, Mark Begich
&#8220;I didn't support the Democratic proposal this evening and I won't be supporting the Republican proposal tomorrow because this isn't about partisan politics for me - it&#8217;s about Alaska and our nation's long-term energy security. &#8220;Even though there are incentives for oil and gas development, these proposals are too narrow and fail to address key items such as revenue sharing, renewables, efficiency, and others that will really solve our energy crisis.
&#8220;I have made it clear in my speech last week - and since my first day in the Senate - I am going to fight for a real, comprehensive energy plan that embraces Alaska's potential, reduces our dependence on foreign oil, and protects consumers.&#8221;
14 trillion in debt and the Dems in the US Senate are playing partisan games. Chuckie Schumer and "Dingy" Harry are all about partisan politics.

Last edited:
Those aren’t subsidies those are right offs same as any business gets, any business can right off their expenses. To single out oil companies and say they can't do that is stupid liberal distractions

more misinformation.

Pretty easy to dismiss truth without providing any counter evidence, isn't it? On the other hand, if these really are subsidies, you should be able to point to a paper trail showing all the checks the government has paid out over the years to support big oil.

I won't hold my breath.

Why don't they vote on repealing or cutting the 18.5 cents per gallon Federal Gas tax?

Forum List

Back