Republicans block Obama from recess appointments

oops, sorry...didn't have all the links:
Saturday, November 17, 2007

Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.), in a showdown with the White House over executive branch nominations, refused yesterday to formally adjourn the chamber for a planned two-week Thanksgiving break in order to thwart President Bush's ability to make recess appointments.

Rather than allowing the Senate to take a full break, Reid employed a rarely used parliamentary tactic by scheduling "pro forma" sessions twice a week until early December, when Congress returns for three weeks of work. Under that plan, a few senators, perhaps just one Democrat and one Republican, will briefly open the chamber for debate during the next two weeks.

The move blocks Bush's ability to make recess appointments, which would allow his choices to serve out the remainder of Bush's term.

Reid accused Bush of slow-walking Democratic nominees for bipartisan oversight agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission. Reid said he had made good on a summertime promise to move several key Bush nominees, including new Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey, but Bush has not officially nominated some Democratic selections for the bipartisan commissions.

Senate Stays In Session to Block Recess Appointments

Wednesday, December 19, 2007
THIS JUST IN: Reid to again block controversial Bush holiday recess appointments

Democratic Senate leader Harry Reid is on the Senate floor right now announcing that he will be keeping the Senate in a pro forma session throughout the Christmas and New Years holiday in order to block Bush from making recess appointments of controversial nominees that couldn't make their way through the appropriate Senate committees. Reid will, however, (I believe) be letting a large number of non-controversial Republican nominees be confirmed. This is good. It doesn't make up for being on the verge of passing a domestic spying bill and continuing to fund the war, but appointments are very important, and anything that can be done to stop Bush from thwarting the Senate's constitutional role in confirming presidential appointees is a good thing.
AMERICAblog News: THIS JUST IN: Reid to again block controversial Bush holiday recess appointments

TWICE in a one month.

The problem is Obama has appointed more CZARS to his administration--than any other President in the History of the United States--and even Democrat senators have complained about him doing this--as CZARS do NOT ANSWER to the congress--and are just appointees of the POTUS--at taxpayer expense.

Can you back that up with a link?

The problem is Obama has appointed more CZARS to his administration--than any other President in the History of the United States--and even Democrat senators have complained about him doing this--as CZARS do NOT ANSWER to the congress--and are just appointees of the POTUS--at taxpayer expense.

Can you back that up with a link?

I have not heard that since Obamas first year. I believe Bush and Obama are neck and neck on this one.

Does the left have such a distorted memory that they forgot the last two years when Obama had a super majority in both houses of congress and appointed a communist to serve on his "green jobs" board? Van Jones was sent packing and there are no green jobs or any other jobs for that matter.

It is not the same thing.

Bush used recess appointments over and over.

Who blocked him from it?

Here ya go!
More to follow if I have the time.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...a-from-recess-appointments-2.html#post3952500

How do ya like me now????? One of my favorites HAT TIP!

I can't take the credit at all!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RhTm3MOQck]‪How Do You Like Me Now‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

"How do you like me now?
How do you like me now,
Now that I'm on my way?
Do you still think I'm crazy
Standin here today?"

Can't post the rest....it just makes me blush!

Considering the President's tendency to appoint radical marxists into important governent positions, I'd be disappointed if the GOP didn't do what they could to stop it.

Of course, if he gets the opportunity to, he does have the right to. Let's just not give him a chance to do it.

They want him to fail.

Considering his success so far is screwing the American people, heck yeah. Why would I want someone to succeed and implimenting bad policy? Why would I wish someone to succeed who is going to harm my, my family, and my neighbors through his actions?

I want to see our nation be great. Not see it flush itself down the toilet into tyranny.

They want the "boy king" "Man Child" to fail. Of course, race has nothing to do with it.

RdeanieWeanie,

You are a certified Obamarrhoidal Idiot......that is an established fact.

However, one also comes to the inevitable conclusion that you are mentally defective to the point where one wonders if you have areas of cognition that go beyond your Ideological Idiocy.

While on Summer Recess, Congress Blocks Recess Appointments - ProPublica

In an effort to block President Obama from making recess appointments—which the Constitution allows presidents to do—Congressional Republicans have kept Congress technically in session.

The Washington Examiner explains:

The Republican-controlled House used a procedural move to help force this issue. Though it's the Senate that must confirm presidential appointments, under the U.S. Constitution, it cannot adjourn for more than three days without the approval of the House.

So instead of adjourning, both the House and Senate will be conducting what are known as “pro forma” sessions. What that entails, essentially, is having a member of Congress stick around the Capitol to strike the gavel for what are sometimes seconds-long sessions, according to the Examiner.

Hallelujah !!!

FINALLY the Republicans are learning how to play the game the DEMS excel at.

a better version.

skip the damn ad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlLqBIk4kiQ&ob=av3n]‪The Heavy - How You Like Me Now‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

While on Summer Recess, Congress Blocks Recess Appointments - ProPublica

In an effort to block President Obama from making recess appointments—which the Constitution allows presidents to do—Congressional Republicans have kept Congress technically in session.

The Washington Examiner explains:

The Republican-controlled House used a procedural move to help force this issue. Though it's the Senate that must confirm presidential appointments, under the U.S. Constitution, it cannot adjourn for more than three days without the approval of the House.

So instead of adjourning, both the House and Senate will be conducting what are known as “pro forma” sessions. What that entails, essentially, is having a member of Congress stick around the Capitol to strike the gavel for what are sometimes seconds-long sessions, according to the Examiner.

Hallelujah !!!

FINALLY the Republicans are learning how to play the game the DEMS excel at.

I wish they would both give it up!

omgawd....................

Those EVIL Republicans denied THE BOYKING.

HOW DARE THEY......................:eek::eek::eek:

Forum List

Back