Republicans block aid to cops and firemen. Vote accordingly.

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
PA City Defies Court Order; Reduces Police Officers, Firefighters' Pay To Minimum Wage | ThinkProgress

The above article is about Scranton, PA, slashing pay for cops and firemen to minimum wage. Thats right, making the same as the fry cook at Burger King.

BUT, the point is this, in that story: "Congressional Republicans repeatedly blocked efforts to extend aid to the states that would have helped shore up their budgets and keep these workers on payroll. In the case of Scranton, such aid may have helped the city actually pay its workers a living wage "

The GOP, which once supported cops almost as much as they support the troops, have turned on cops and firemen....harshly.

They preach "national defense". They'd spend any amount of money to protect the US and it's citizens.......as long as that money goes through a defense contractor or to the military, but GOD FORBID sending aid to the cops and firemen who are directly, literally, protecting our asses day to day on our streets and in hour businesses.

Lots of cops and firemen across the country have been badly hurt, or laid off, while the GOP did two things:

- Block aid for them
- Support more spending on federal law enforcement and military

So, in an ironic twist, the GOP supported more money for the FEDERAL means of protecting us, but blocked aid for the LOCAL means of protecting us............all while campaigning on sending more tax money BACK to the states and cities rather than the Federal Govt, while blocking an effort to do JUST THAT in aiding our local public safety personnel.

It'd be comical if it weren't so sadly true.

GOP...you still say send the money back to the states...right?

Scranton is one of those cities like Stockton, California. They just don't have the money. Getting more money from the federal government has the effect of putting these cities on a permanent municipal welfare program. Naturally a major liberal outlet like Think Progress is going to slant their reporting to liberal views, but it doesn't change the fact that no money really does mean no money.

PA City Defies Court Order; Reduces Police Officers, Firefighters' Pay To Minimum Wage | ThinkProgress

The above article is about Scranton, PA, slashing pay for cops and firemen to minimum wage. Thats right, making the same as the fry cook at Burger King.

BUT, the point is this, in that story: "Congressional Republicans repeatedly blocked efforts to extend aid to the states that would have helped shore up their budgets and keep these workers on payroll. In the case of Scranton, such aid may have helped the city actually pay its workers a living wage "

The GOP, which once supported cops almost as much as they support the troops, have turned on cops and firemen....harshly.

They preach "national defense". They'd spend any amount of money to protect the US and it's citizens.......as long as that money goes through a defense contractor or to the military, but GOD FORBID sending aid to the cops and firemen who are directly, literally, protecting our asses day to day on our streets and in hour businesses.

Lots of cops and firemen across the country have been badly hurt, or laid off, while the GOP did two things:

- Block aid for them
- Support more spending on federal law enforcement and military

So, in an ironic twist, the GOP supported more money for the FEDERAL means of protecting us, but blocked aid for the LOCAL means of protecting us............all while campaigning on sending more tax money BACK to the states and cities rather than the Federal Govt, while blocking an effort to do JUST THAT in aiding our local public safety personnel.

It'd be comical if it weren't so sadly true.

I dub thee Idiot Colossus.

:lol:

Congress sets pay for police in Scranton, PA?

Wow.

The things I learn here

Nope. But they can, and tried, to send aid. And the GOP blocked it. Fuck 'em. Right?

The GOP preaches "send the money back to the states". Then why did they block an effort to do just that?

Why do we even need "States" or even "Cities"? Let the Federal government run everything, they can set pay scales, decide what you eat, where you live, etc.

And it's all free!

Wow.

The things I learn here

Nope. But they can, and tried, to send aid. And the GOP blocked it. Fuck 'em. Right?

The GOP preaches "send the money back to the states". Then why did they block an effort to do just that?

Scranton PA is a "state"?

Really?

Must have happened when my power was out

Thanks for the update

Wow.

The things I learn here

If you don't understand the OP, you have a lot to learn...

:clap2:

Funny how they jump from the original premise to "Oh Congress sets local police pay?"

Guess the conversation was too complex for them. You know...suggesting their party actually DO what they campaign on.

Wow.

The things I learn here

I guess Scranton is the 58th state that Obama referred to.

:lol:

Wow.

The things I learn here

Scranton PA is a "state"?

Really?

Must have happened when my power was out

Thanks for the update

Wow, you guys really are that retarded.

No, its not a state. The OP and article weren't about one state. It was about the GOP blocking efforts to send aid to cities and states. Both with an "s". Thats plural. Meaning...using that as an example of ONE situation that didn't recieve aid due to a blocked effort to send aid to MANY (plural) cities and states. YOu know.........sending money "BACK TO THE STATES".

I know, my bad. Reading comprehension doesn't come on a bumper sticker.

Yeah, paying them 3% per year worked in retirement benefits (not to mention free medical benefits and tax-free disability benefits for ANY cancer, heart or stress problems) is really stingy. Many of them make more in retirement than they ever did while working. Most fire fighters work one day on and TWO DAYS OFF, with a full-time job on the side. No wonder there are hundreds of applications for each vacancy...

Yeah, paying them 3% per year worked in retirement benefits (not to mention free medical benefits and tax-free disability benefits for ANY cancer, heart or stress problems) is really stingy. Many of them make more in retirement than they ever did while working. Most fire fighters work one day on and TWO DAYS OFF, with a full-time job on the side. No wonder there are hundreds of applications for each vacancy...

Um......yeah....ONE 24 hour shift, two days off, ONE 24 hour shift, two days off. Make sense??? OH wait, sorry. I'll do the math for you. In a 7 day week, thats a minimum 48 hour work week. On a 3 day per 7 week, thats 72 hours. Take away 8 hours per shift allotted for sleep (even though they must be on call and stay at the HQ), they work 48 hours a week.

Whats your problem? Would you rather have qualified, well paid, well trained cops and firemen in your local cities???

OR.....would you rather FEMA handle all your disasters?????

How bout cut FEMA, and give all that money to local cops/firemen to handle it? YOu guys are for that....right?

Um......yeah....ONE 24 hour shift, two days off, ONE 24 hour shift, two days off. Make sense??? OH wait, sorry. I'll do the math for you. In a 7 day week, thats a minimum 48 hour work week. On a 3 day per 7 week, thats 72 hours. Take away 8 hours per shift allotted for sleep (even though they must be on call and stay at the HQ), they work 48 hours a week.

Whats your problem? Would you rather have qualified, well paid, well trained cops and firemen in your local cities???

OR.....would you rather FEMA handle all your disasters?????

How bout cut FEMA, and give all that money to local cops/firemen to handle it? YOu guys are for that....right?

48 hours? Oh, the horror....

Many people I know, including myself, put in that many hours or more on a fairly regular basis.

Our firemen are all volunteer. Great guys.

Fuck the overpaying public servants.

Ah, and thats why I'll never vote Republican again.

"Fuck the overpaying (she mean overpaid) public servants". Thats the new GOP theme.

So, SniperFire, would you also say "Fuck the Troops"??? See....they protect the same 300,000,000 Americans that those firemen and cops protect. A caveman in Afghanistan with an AK, or a thug on MLK Boulevard with a 9 and a bad budget......both threats to innocent Americans, right?

I get your message loud and clear, like most of the GOP: "Fuck the cops and firemen". Got it.

Forum List

Back