Republican's Assault on Clean Water and Democracy

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Like the 104th Congress when Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, the House today is swinging a sledgehammer at a cornerstone of contemporary American democracy and undermining the most extraordinary body of environmental law in the world.

Chief among the attacks is HR 2018, known as the "Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act of 2011." The bill, currently working its way through the House, hogties the federal government's role in administering the federal Clean Water Act and gives states a veto power over a host of critical water quality decisions that the Clean Water Act currently authorizes the Environmental Protection Agency to make. This approach will foster a 1950s-style race to bottom as shortsighted and self-interested state politicians dismantle their clean water laws in order to recruit filthy polluters.

Corporate polluters -- through massive campaign donations and relentless fear-mongering -- can easily dominate the state political landscapes. Their indentured servants in Congress -- many flying the Tea Party banner -- are working to disrupt the existing balance between state control and federal oversight in our environmental laws by returning us to the days of limited federal supervision -- a time when local government was on the side of polluters in a partnership that was stealing people's livelihoods, their recreation, their health, safety, property values and their childhoods.

The original drafters of the Clean Water Act were keenly aware of the problems inherent in leaving all responsibility to the states. Prior to 1972, that scheme had ignited rivers and firestorms and left Lake Erie declared dead. We saw the results first hand here on the Hudson River in the 1960s -- where hundreds of fishermen lost their jobs because their beloved waterways had become too polluted to allow anyone to safely eat the fish. The Clean Water Act, enacted shortly thereafter, created a beautifully simple yet powerfully effective tool to help address these problems: a federal safety net for water quality that guarantees a minimum level of protection to all Americans, no matter where you live. And for nearly 40 years this approach has been working.

More

R%20F%20Kennedy%20Falcon.gif

How is a legislative process, which gives local governments the ability to control what is in thier borders undemocratic?

Stupidity like this is why you have no credibilty, pea brain.....

How is a legislative process, which gives local governments the ability to control what is in thier borders undemocratic?

Coal burned in the Ohio valley created dead lakes in New York. NOW WHAT???

Wow Republicans are against clean water!

Guess we can add that to the list of Republicans are Against: health care, children, minorities, grandmothers, and teddy bears.

Hey eco-nauts. Have any of you ever drank pure H2O? I have. Costs about $20 per gallon..

MartyB was correct. I READ THE BILL. It gives THE STATES (not the polluters) the ability to submit FOR APPROVAL a correction to permitted levels.. This is important in places where there ONLY SOURCE of drinking water is marginal due to excessively restrictive Arsenic levels (for instance). The bulk of the OP is just feelings and partisian chest-thumping..

And remember eco-nauts -- this is the EPA that DEMANDED the leakage levels for Yucca Mtn be LESS than the radiation from the marble statues in the halls of Congress. If you like centralized, arbitrary, one-size-fits-all polyscience WITHOUT APPEAL -- what kind of sophisticated scientists are you?

Last edited:
Bfgrn:

Of course -- It's Robert Kennedy.. The "no windmills in my playpen" keeper of the enviro-torch.. No wonder all that spew had so little connection to the real legislation. Just another fund-raising opportunity to sell those totebags and teddybears...

thankfully, for all of us, the majority thinks this is BS.

Only the bomb thrower k00k left think Americans are sitting around their dinner table talking about how dirty our water is...........:2up:

Do any of you right wing corporate ass lickers even know what the 28 major environmental laws are based on? You 'claim' to be advocates for 'personal responsibility' and free market capitalism.

Robert Kennedy...

The Kennedy's sure did make a good living off their environmental scare tactics and all the fools who fall for it.

They sit in their LAVISH homes counting up the CASH as they laugh their asses off.

anyone wish that Kennedy CLAN would stop breeding and just fade away?

Last edited:
It's more DIVIDE AND CONQUER behavior, I suspect.

Take away FEDERAL authority such that the corporate pollutors can monster the states instead of facing a unified national authority.

Bfgrn:

Of course -- It's Robert Kennedy.. The "no windmills in my playpen" keeper of the enviro-torch.. No wonder all that spew had so little connection to the real legislation. Just another fund-raising opportunity to sell those totebags and teddybears...

An Ill Wind Off Cape Cod
By ROBERT F. KENNEDY Jr.

As an environmentalist, I support wind power, including wind power on the high seas. I am also involved in siting wind farms in appropriate landscapes, of which there are many. But I do believe that some places should be off limits to any sort of industrial development. I wouldn't build a wind farm in Yosemite National Park. Nor would I build one on Nantucket Sound, which is exactly what the company Energy Management is trying to do with its Cape Wind project.

Environmental groups have been enticed by Cape Wind, but they should be wary of lending support to energy companies that are trying to privatize the commons - in this case 24 square miles of a heavily used waterway. And because offshore wind costs twice as much as gas-fired electricity and significantly more than onshore wind, the project is financially feasible only because the federal and state governments have promised $241 million in subsidies.

Robert Kennedy...

The Kennedy's sure did make a good living off their environmental scare tactics and all the fools who fall for it.

They sit in their LAVISH homes counting up the CASH as they laugh their asses off.

The Kennedy's sit...???

WOW, you really don't know anything about the Kennedy family.

Robert Kennedy...

The Kennedy's sit...???

I know they are a bunch of environmental hypocrites who write garbage like what you posted. and you kneel at their feet thinking they are the be all to end all..:lol:

More new EPA/Obama regulations costs MORE jobs................dumbass government lovers see all regulation as a zero-sum game.

New EPA regulations could mean jobs lost in Southwest Virginia | TriCities.com

As I said.....the goal is to fcukk over the capitalist model.

Make no mistake.........the EPA is a jobs killing juggernaut.

By the way.......everybody knows Robert Kennedy is a marxist k00k. ANybody who comes in this forum and posts up a link with an article by Robert Kennedy is a bomb thrower.

Last edited:
More new EPA/Obama regulations costs MORE jobs................dumbass government lovers see all regulation as a zero-sum game.

New EPA regulations could mean jobs lost in Southwest Virginia | TriCities.com

As I said.....the goal is to fcukk over the capitalist model.

Make no mistake.........the EPA is a jobs killing juggernaut.

yeah but but, the hell with JOBS and the people of this country, and the fact this is also going to RAISE peoples electric bills at a time they CAN'T AFFORD IT.......... it's all for the environment

Last edited:
Robert Kennedy...

The Kennedy's sit...???

chappaquiddick_triathlon_ted_kennedy_t_shirt-p235114989317828154trlf_400.jpg

Robert Kennedy...

The Kennedy's sit...???

They made they fortune shorting stocks and running rum.

Forum List

Back