Republicans are losing their war on women

Mitt Romney, desperate to prove his conservative bona fides, has declared war on Planned Parenthood, vowing to strip the nation’s largest family planning service of federal funding. Opposition to abortion is the subtext of Romney’s attack, but the organization plays an even greater role in American society by helping to prevent unwanted pregnancies — and that bugs many conservatives, too. His vow to yank federal funding (which subsidizes Planned Parenhood’s reproductive health services, not abortions) is Romney’s way of showing the GOP base that he is hostile to everything Planned Parenthood stands for — including sex without the dangers of disease and accidental procreation.
Romney’s comments followed the ugly debate about a federal policy requiring employer health insurance plans to cover contraception without copays from employees. The proceedings in Congress were noteworthy for a certain, shall we say, gender imbalance, in which male politicians (and clerics) pontificated about women’s reproduction as if it was their issue alone to decide. There was an air of “Sit in the corner, honey, the men have things to discuss.”
In this climate, even the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act is stirring GOP pots. The bill passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee without a single Republican vote. It seems Republicans have a problem with new provisions having to do with Native American jurisdiction, and with the fact that the bill extends protection to immigrant women and same sex couples.
Heaven forbid that the law protect too many victims of domestic violence!

Woman troubles: The GOP’s bizarre quarrel with reality - KansasCity.com

VAWA has been an unmitigated disaster. An obscenity. It is a license for immigrant women to financially rape men and BOY did they take advantage of it.

As far as defunding Planned Parenthood, that alone is worth a few million votes for Romney which is why obama is losing support from women.

Why should insurance pay for sex? I won't argue about covering BC for medical reason outside of pregnancy prevention, but why should insurance be mandated to cover sexual activities?

Insurance is supposed to protect someone from catastrophic losses, not because they are horny.

Plus, if women's reproductive issues are their own business, then why get the government involved?

Because a group of outside medical experts made that specific recommendation, based on medical grounds. Unintended pregnancies do have medical issues.

Do you understand the difference between "It's a good idea" and ". . . therefore, the government should force everyone to do it"?

Do you understand that the government has the an obligation to regulate the insurance industry, and decide what their baseline services should be? You realize that the McCarren-Fergeson act of 1945 authorized that regulation, and that the Supreme Court decision in United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Ass’n supported that responsibility?

So yes, the government can force baseline services on insurance companies, under the power of interstate commerce. The abuses by health insurance companies, specifically in their claims denials, require that this be done.

Because a group of outside medical experts made that specific recommendation, based on medical grounds. Unintended pregnancies do have medical issues.

Do you understand the difference between "It's a good idea" and ". . . therefore, the government should force everyone to do it"?

Do you understand that the government has the an obligation to regulate the insurance industry, and decide what their baseline services should be? You realize that the McCarren-Fergeson act of 1945 authorized that regulation, and that the Supreme Court decision in United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Ass’n supported that responsibility?

So yes, the government can force baseline services on insurance companies, under the power of interstate commerce. The abuses by health insurance companies, specifically in their claims denials, require that this be done.

I'll print this post off and wipe my ass with it.

Just what has claim denial have to do with the government dictating what services they must provide ? Please explain that one to me.

The so called abuses by the insurance industry take place because of government. They get away with it becasue there is no competition....Why ?

Because, as a doctor friend of mine found out...there are tons of paperwork required to get into the insurance game.

Thanks Uncle Sammy......

I appreciate the inflated prices I pay because of your meddling.

I'll print this post off and wipe my ass with it.

Just what has claim denial have to do with the government dictating what services they must provide ? Please explain that one to me.

The so called abuses by the insurance industry take place because of government. They get away with it becasue there is no competition....Why ?

Because, as a doctor friend of mine found out...there are tons of paperwork required to get into the insurance game.

Thanks Uncle Sammy......

I appreciate the inflated prices I pay because of your meddling.

There's tons of paperwork required to get into the insurance game because that's how 50 or so different insurance company wanted it, and different forms and infos for each. That's free enterprise making it hard to get into the game. What an idiot. I doubt you can find your ass.

Last edited:
Obama is losing ground so fast that he's desperate. People aren't buying this.

Now he's trying to declassify and release intel from the Bin Laden raid.

It's his only success. He wants to release a little tid-bit every week or so we will be reminded how great a leader he is.

What it proves is he doesn't give a shit about giving away what secrets we discovered at that compound. He just wants to capitalize on it politically.

He is a terrible President.

This thread simply takes away from real oppression on women around the world. There are women being forced to marry their rapist, and the women in this country think they have a war on them? Give me a break. Can you imagine how some parts of the world see this supposed war on women.
If I had any friends that felt that the republican or anyone in this country was waging war on them, I would not be their friend for long

The war is not on women, I think there could be an actual argument made that there is a war on men, and what their role is in the family unit.

Obama is losing ground so fast that he's desperate. People aren't buying this.

Now he's trying to declassify and release intel from the Bin Laden raid.

It's his only success. He wants to release a little tid-bit every week or so we will be reminded how great a leader he is.

What it proves is he doesn't give a shit about giving away what secrets we discovered at that compound. He just wants to capitalize on it politically.

He is a terrible President.

I see you are mellowing a bit w/ age.....:laugh2:

:lol::badgrin::lol:

Forum List

Back