Republicans are afraid to propose spending cuts!

ilia25

I can do math
Jan 12, 2012
OMG, this is getting funnier by the minute.

According to the latest accounts, Obama is pushing very hard on taxing the rich -- not only expiration of Bush tax cuts, but also rising the dividend and estate taxes. In exchange, Dems are proposing modest spending cuts, leaving it to Republicans to offer what else they see fit to axe.

Now that is where it gets comical -- Republicans refuse to detail any additional spending cuts! They say they are desperately needed, huge cuts too. But they are afraid -- and for a good reason too -- that if they themselves would put any specific proposals regarding the entitlement programs on the table, the voters would punish them.

So Republicnas are practically begging the Dems to do the honor and commit a political suicide.

Now tell me -- aren't they cute? Saying no to them is like taking a candy from a little girl -- breaks one's heart! I see John Boehner crying again.

Last edited:
I believe neither party wants to cut spending to any of their own programs.

So you think Republicans don't want to detail how they would like to cut entitlement spending because they own those programs?

I believe neither party wants to cut spending to any of their own programs.

So you think Republicans don't want to detail how they would like to cut entitlement spending because they own those programs?

Not necessarily.

I just believe that if the Republicans bite the bullet and concede to cut defense spending along with raising taxes for the wealthy first, democrats won't have to compromise anything and we could avoid the fiscal cliff.

I also think you're right in the sense that them advocating to cut entitlements would open the door for the dems to continue painting them as selfish, greedy, un-caring, ect.. So proposals to cut entitlements would have to come from the Democrats. Plus, that's their bread and butter. Why shouldn't they get to decide how to cut spending to them?

Last edited:

According to the latest accounts, Obama is pushing very hard on taxing the rich -- not only expiration of Bush tax cuts, but also rising the dividend and estate taxes. In exchange, Dems are proposing modest spending cuts, leaving it to Republicans to offer what else they see fit to axe.

Now that is where it gets comical -- Republicans refuse to detail any additional spending cuts! They say they are desperately needed, huge cuts too. But they are afraid -- and for a good reason too -- that if they themselves would put any specific proposals regarding the entitlement programs on the table, the voters would punish them.

So Republicnas are practically begging the Dems to do the honor and commit a political suicide.

Now tell me -- aren't they cute? Saying no to them is like taking a candy from a little girl -- breaks one's heart! I see John Boehner crying again.

They should be afraid to cut. Me, too. Sending is already cut to the bone, IMO. And businesses, mostly small businesses, are struggling for sales. How on earth anyone thinks cuts in spending, by either us or our government, will do anything but fuck over already struggling small businesses, baffles me.

So let's just raise taxes and get on with the task of growing the market.

And if the only victim is the retarded pseudo-economic rhetoric the GOP has been relying on, then so be it. The needs of the American People trumps the political convenience of the GOP, IMO.

Can you really blame them?

If their cuts are not exclusively defense spending they are branded as everything from rich elitists to racists. The very mention of cutting entitlements is enough to get liberal crowds screaming for their heads on a platter. Hell, they don't even have to actually ask to cut entitlements! They get the same treatment if they simplely suggest we only increase entitlment spending 7% rather than the 10% liberals want.

Immie

Last edited:

Gosh, no! Reps are trying to convince most Americans that they should suffer more so the rich will get richer. That is a tall order.

Always has been -- and it is amazing that they have managed to get this far.

Last edited:

If their cuts are not exclusively defense spending they are branded as everything from rich elitists to racists. The very mention of cutting entitlements is enough to get liberal crowds screaming for their heads on a platter. Hell, they don't even have to actually ask to cut entitlements! They get the same treatment if they simplely suggest we only increase entitlment spending 7% rather than the 10% liberals want.

Immie

As I mentioned in earlier posts Obama has gone to the center which has pushed the GOP further out to the right, way out. If both parties were equally close to the center but with different positions there could be discussion and compromise. As it is the right has nothing to offer. They have a very, very deep problem in their party.

Actually cuts are already proposed. They go into effect at the end of the year. Both sides agreed. If you want something different, its up to you to propose it.

You're like a crazy bum covered in dirt and shit then you walk into McDonalds and start yelling at everyone thinking you're funny and smart.

You're like a crazy bum covered in dirt and shit then you walk into McDonalds and start yelling at everyone thinking you're funny and smart.

That attack on me was just kind of trivial but now you are just being a nasty moron who is small minded and a pointless person in general.

Reps criticized the $716 billion medicare cuts/savings during the election.

Now they are screaming for SS, medicare and medicaid cuts.

How quickly we forget.

Immie

As I mentioned in earlier posts Obama has gone to the center which has pushed the GOP further out to the right, way out. If both parties were equally close to the center but with different positions there could be discussion and compromise. As it is the right has nothing to offer. They have a very, very deep problem in their party.

Sorry, but Obama has done nothing but pay lip service to the center. He can talk all he wants, but that is all it has been to date and all it will ever be. He's about as close to "the center" as the distance between the Nile and the Mississippi.

Immie

How's it feel to be a slimey liar. The house sent a budget to the senate early this year, it your boys that refuse to take it up and do their freaking job. This emergency barganing is BS, the congress has a way they are supposed to consider legislation, the obsrtuctionist Reid refuses to do what he swore to do. The house did it's job, time for the senate to do theirs.

Republicans have been terrified of advocating real spending cuts and seeing it through since they got comfortable controlling the U.S. House in 1995.

The bottom line is that after two generations out of power in Congress, the Republicans found out they liked being the majority party there.

Cutting the goodies for millions of Americans would not get many of them reelected.

Forum List

Back