Republicans 40 Year Refusal To Invest In Infrastructure Begins To Cripple US Economy

The pattern has been something like this:
Republicans are elected and their job seems to be to start a recession. Then Democrats are elected to stop the recession and they do this by spending money on improving the infrastructure.
At least that been the pattern America has followed since the Great Depression.
That's what the talking points and rhetoric has been from the democrats.

The facts tell another story...
The pattern has been something like this:
Republicans are elected and their job seems to be to start a recession. Then Democrats are elected to stop the recession and they do this by spending money on improving the infrastructure.
At least that been the pattern America has followed since the Great Depression.
That's what the talking points and rhetoric has been from the democrats.

The facts tell another story...
The facts from history written by historians or what Trump tweets as history?

As for the Republican Party? We elect moderates. We have done so for decades! It's the Democrats that elect people on the far left side of the political spectrum...yet you seem to think the GOP has gone "Alt/Right"?
You believe that Clinton was far left? Carter? Even Obama was not as far left as he was portrayed--to the dismay of the Progressive wing of the Democratic party. He talked a good game..to get elected--but his actions..or lack of them--said otherwise. Not that I was an Obama fan--but calling him a Marxist was always amusing, to me.

I do think that the GOP has gone alt/right--at least as far as rhetoric goes. They all want Trump's base...and think they know what is needed to get them.

Both parties are being run by the extremists---I think that this is the heart of the problem.
Yep except for the Democrats LOL

As for the Republican Party? We elect moderates. We have done so for decades! It's the Democrats that elect people on the far left side of the political spectrum...yet you seem to think the GOP has gone "Alt/Right"?
You believe that Clinton was far left? Carter? Even Obama was not as far left as he was portrayed--to the dismay of the Progressive wing of the Democratic party. He talked a good game..to get elected--but his actions..or lack of them--said otherwise. Not that I was an Obama fan--but calling him a Marxist was always amusing, to me.

I do think that the GOP has gone alt/right--at least as far as rhetoric goes. They all want Trump's base...and think they know what is needed to get them.

Both parties are being run by the extremists---I think that this is the heart of the problem.
Uh..if you say so..I think the Democrats are being run by their own extremists..The Progressives..who are just as bad as the alt/right..as far as I'm concerned.

Let's look at who each party has nominated lately...shall we?

Hillary Clinton? Her voting record in the Senate had her as the 11th most liberal member of the Senate.
Barack Obama? He had the most liberal voting record of anyone in the Senate.
John Kerry? He was one of the most liberal Senators by vote as well!
Al Gore? Another liberal voting record!

Donald Trump? No voting record to examine but he was a Democrat up until
Mitt Romney? He was a moderate Governor from probably the most liberal State in the nation!
John McCain? He was such a centrist that Al Gore considered him as a running mate!
George W. Bush? Another moderate.

So how does the GOP get labeled as "Alt right" while the Democrats are portrayed as "main stream"?

Hillary Clinton? Her voting record in the Senate had her as the 11th most liberal member of the Senate.

Mitt Romney? He was a moderate Governor from probably the most liberal State in the nation!
John McCain? He was such a centrist that Al Gore considered him as a running mate!

So how does the GOP get labeled as "Alt right" while the Democrats are portrayed as "main stream"?
*sigh*
That was then..and this is now--right now..the GOP is being driven to the far right--and Trump made alt/right positions popular..for the simple reason that they worked..for him. Politicians will do whatever it takes to get elected..and right now..for Republicans..that means making alt/right noises.

I never said Democrats were 'main-stream..in fact..i do believe that I've said that they are not several times now. They are being driven by their Progressive wing.

Up until recently..being Moderate paid off..for either party...because the idea was to appeal to the largest amount of voters. I do think we will get back to that..but the Primary process has been hijacked by the extremes in both parties--thus winnowing the moderates out..before the general elections.

I do believe that Bannon is counting on this...to make his bid to consolidate his status as kingmaker.

Infrastructure has never been sexy for either party so it has been the proverbial can kicked down the pothole filled road. Let's start with the bridges that are hanging on by a few rusty bolts and go from there.

Not the federal government's problem.
How is the safety of the Federal Highway system not the government's responsibility? The Highway Trust Fund is paid for by the taxpayer through gas taxes. I'd pay a few more cents per gallon to keep another I-35 bridge collapse from happening.

*sigh*
That was then..and this is now--right now..the GOP is being driven to the far right--and Trump made alt/right positions popular..for the simple reason that they worked..for him. Politicians will do whatever it takes to get elected..and right now..for Republicans..that means making alt/right noises.

I never said Democrats were 'main-stream..in fact..i do believe that I've said that they are not several times now. They are being driven by their Progressive wing.

Up until recently..being Moderate paid off..for either party...because the idea was to appeal to the largest amount of voters. I do think we will get back to that..but the Primary process has been hijacked by the extremes in both parties--thus winnowing the moderates out..before the general elections.

I do believe that Bannon is counting on this...to make his bid to consolidate his status as kingmaker.

So tax cuts, immigration reform and border security are "extreme" in your view? You do know that the majority of people in the US are in favor of all of these things...right?

Uh..if you say so..I think the Democrats are being run by their own extremists..The Progressives..who are just as bad as the alt/right..as far as I'm concerned.
Progressive is just another word for liberal and Democrat... So you think Hillary was Radical? And all those I don't think so

*sigh*

So tax cuts, immigration reform and border security are "extreme" in your view? You do know that the majority of people in the US are in favor of all of these things...right?
Yup..in fact..I'm probably farther to the Right than most on immigration..in that I'd deport the lot tomorrow..if i had the magic wand.

However..you forget to mention the anti-women's rights, anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-black, anti-refugee, racist, separatist undertones of the alt/right movement.
That is what Trump played to..to capture much of his base. He played us vs them to a T--he did so masterfully..but now..we're stuck with the fall-out.

*sigh*

Yup..in fact..I'm probably farther to the Right than most on immigration..in that I'd deport the lot tomorrow..if i had the magic wand.

However..you forget to mention the anti-women's rights, anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-black, anti-refugee, racist, separatist undertones of the alt/right movement.
That is what Trump played to..to capture much of his base. He played us vs them to a T--he did so masterfully..but now..we're stuck with the fall-out.

For some unknown reason (watching too much CNN and MSNBC perhaps?) you seem to think that the average Republican is a member of the "alt/right" and quite frankly, that's absurd! The left loves to use the "RACIST" charge whenever anyone challenges their take on how the country should operate! They also love to claim that Republicans hate women...yet when they went after Trump with a twenty year old taped conversation they unintentionally shot themselves in the foot as liberal icons like Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose and Al Franken were exposed as the REAL women haters!

40 years?

The Republicans have held Congress for the last 40 years?

th
The Democrats haven't been able to pass anything for 40 years 35 well. Carter had Teddy Kennedy to block everything under him...

So what's this Obama care nonsense?

Btw your right gay marriage failed in California they had to use the courts to pass it against the will of the people.

*sigh*

For some unknown reason (watching too much CNN and MSNBC perhaps?) you seem to think that the average Republican is a member of the "alt/right" and quite frankly, that's absurd! The left loves to use the "RACIST" charge whenever anyone challenges their take on how the country should operate! They also love to claim that Republicans hate women...yet when they went after Trump with a twenty year old taped conversation they unintentionally shot themselves in the foot as liberal icons like Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose and Al Franken were exposed as the REAL women haters!
Not interested in the usual tit for tat..it gets boring, quite frankly..as though sexual abuse and impropriety is the province of any one party.

I don't watch any news..on TV.except the occasional PBS News Hour..I get my news for an aggregate--sometimes Reuters..sometimes the AP--I like BBC also.

I don't think the average Republican is alt/right..and I never said so...I do believe that the politicians that call themselves Republican are playing with the alt/right..to get votes.
I also believe that the talk radio crowd inflame folks with untruths and smears--again, I know the Left does it also..so you can save the usual pointing out how the other guys are so much worse.

Lawmaker misleads in claims about Oroville dam crisis

Then maybe we can talk about California's Governor Jerry Brown's reign of terror as the Democratic State of California has had a long history of ignoring it potential Dam crisis's all over the state.

The Oroville Dam disaster is yet another example of California's decline
the whole country's infrastructure is going to hell since Reagan... Might have something to do with him cutting infrastructure investment by half which it still is great job... Anything to save the rich.

Wow I did not realize that the Republicans controlled the house, the senate and the presidentcy for the last 40 years!
One might consider the lack of progress on US infrastucture as proof that the two parties are the flip side of the same coin.
Except they want different things, dupe.
Disagree , Both parties are taking down the road to globalism, the only difference is the speed in which it will happen.

Lawmaker misleads in claims about Oroville dam crisis

Then maybe we can talk about California's Governor Jerry Brown's reign of terror as the Democratic State of California has had a long history of ignoring it potential Dam crisis's all over the state.

The Oroville Dam disaster is yet another example of California's decline
the whole country's infrastructure is going to hell since Reagan... Might have something to do with him cutting infrastructure investment by half which it still is great job... Anything to save the rich.
Since old ronnie was president we have had two Democratic presidents, each of which served two terms. Yet you still blame Ronnie

Infrastructure has never been sexy for either party so it has been the proverbial can kicked down the pothole filled road. Let's start with the bridges that are hanging on by a few rusty bolts and go from there.

Not the federal government's problem.
How is the safety of the Federal Highway system not the government's responsibility? The Highway Trust Fund is paid for by the taxpayer through gas taxes. I'd pay a few more cents per gallon to keep another I-35 bridge collapse from happening.

Funds from those taxes should be rolled back to the states to maintain the interstates. The feds should have nothing more to do with it. It increases costs and red tape. Let's use the least restrictive environment.

Taxpayers in my state are not going to fund a money making TOLL tunnel for NJ and NY they can build their own damn tunnel with their own money.

1) obama passed a stimulus package in 2009 focused on infrastructure. So unless Democrats lies and didn’t use it for infrastructure how can you claim infrastructure has been neglected for 40 years?

2) trump claims the next legislation is an infrastructure bill so will Democrats be helping to pass it?

If you had reading comprehension skills, you would have noticed at the very beginning of the article

In one of its last acts of stupidity for 2017, the Trump administration has cancelled the agreement that the federal government had with the states of New York and New Jersey to not only restore the badly damaged rail tunnels between those two states but also build a new, third tunnel as well to relieve the congestion at that critical rail hub. The agreement meant that the federal government would split the cost of that project with the two states.

Everything after would be a fail.
I think I see the problem.

The rest of the countries infrastructure is going to take priority over the greed of NY/NJ and you don't like it.

We'll work on the infrastructure for the rest of the country first. If there are funds left over, by all means, build your self-centered tunnel.

In other words, get to the back of the line. NY/NJ just aren't that important.

They could just use state funds. It’s not like the people aren’t taxed enough in those states

They know they're taxed enough. They pay for enough red sate infrastructure. And now they are being taxed again to pay for the Trump tax scam.

They could elect representatives who will cut their taxes. That way their states will grow stronger and bring in more revenue
it is being added to the debt.

Wait a minute, Bill Clinton was president after Reagan. What did he do besides grope Monica under the desk, sell nuclear technology to N.K. and bomb freaking Europe? What did democrats address when they gained the majority half way into George Bush's 2nd term? The economy, infrastructure, foreign policy? Nope, they undertook a McCarthy like tribunal about ....wait for it.....steroid use in baseball. Barry Hussein promised to "wean America off fossil fuel" so we wouldn't need infrastructure while we were riding bicycles and horses like other 3rd world countries. President Trump reduced unemployment to a near twenty year low, brought jobs back to America and promised to fix the infrastructure but the crazy and angry left isn't listening as usual.
Clinton x 8 years, Obama’s x 8 years! Infrastructure?
Hello? Do nothing Congress? Esp. with Obama..after his first two years--that was that. Blame aside..Trump could have kept the deal..and that is right now.

So you admit that for the first two years of the Obama Administration, Democrats controlled the White House and Congress? Will you also admit that they had a HUGE stimulus fund to work with? So why didn't they fix infrastructure then?

If you'll recall, Nancy Pelosi and Barry promised that their stimulus would create hundreds of thousands of "shovel ready jobs"! If you'll also recall...they handled that stimulus so badly that most of that money was spent on keeping their supporters in the public sector employed.
Well, there was this thing called a recession? Some even called The "Great Recession'? There was a lot going on..and many things that needed fixes. Apparently they got it right..since the economy that Trump inherited seems to be doing well.

Infrastructure has been one of those things promised by both parties and kicked down the road for a long time..we can continue to go back into the past to assign blame..or we can move forward. Trump has an infrastructure bill--let's see what is in it. But there seems to be a lot of petty 'pay the Blue States back' stuff going on. If it continues..the bill will stall--a true bipartisan effort is required..Trump has yet to show he has those kind of chops.

Midterms are coming--after that..it is very likely that gridlock will rule--unless a precedent for bipartisan cooperation has been set.

I'm not optimistic.

Ah, dude? If they got it "right"...then they wouldn't have had to use "jobs created or saved" to hide how few jobs their stimulus actually created! The fact is...your guy Obama oversaw the worst recovery from a US recession in modern economic history. Do you know how you can tell? They had one increase in the Fed rate from the time Barry got elected until when Trump got elected. Why? Because the economy was so shaky. Since Trump was elected we've had 3 increases to the Fed's interest rate with another one due shortly!

"Infrastructure" has become the far left's clarion call for more money to be siphoned out of the private sector and funneled through government...which means more money for them to give out as they see fit. You HAD the money to do serious infrastructure improvements but you squandered it. You had gasoline tax dollars for decades that were supposed to go to repairing our highways but politicians on both sides used THAT for other things as well! You liberals don't want to fix infrastructure...you simply want a bigger slush fund to play with so you can do more give-a-ways to buy more votes! It's what you do...it's who you are!

What a pile of bullshit that post is. Republicans have thwarted every attempt at infrastructure, kicking the can over to states which are increasingly Red States where the libertarian wing of the party refuses to pass taxes to pay for infrastructure. The result is a complete failure by either party to do infrastructure repairs or improvements.

Worse, they’ve left it up to the free market. If ABC Company needs a bridge built to their facility, the state/municipality would say “Let them build it”. ABC would say “This is what we pay taxes for!” And they’d be correct in that regard. But in the end, nobody builds the bridge.

Trump is proposing that businesses partner with government for infrastructure improvements for extra tax credits. No economist in their right mind will endorse the scheme which allows the corporation to get a tax credit for building infrastructure, and deductions for materials and labour, meaning that the company gets to double dip on the costs of providing the improvements.

Oh, and the company gets to pick and chose what infrastructure is to be repaired/replaced. Any pet projects which aid the company, like ABC’s aforementioned bridge, would be eligible even if the project only benefits ABC.

Forum List

Back