Republican Tyranny: Michigan is the proof of concept.

Here is the crazy thing. This the thing we’ve been digging for since we first got wind of this story last week. It is something…it is astounding enough that I almost can’t believe it, I have to tell you.

My mind almost cannot compute what I am about to tell you but we reported this out carefully so we can tell you this with confidence.
Under the Michigan constitution, remember again, you can only make a law take effect immediately if you have a 2/3 majority, if you have a super-majority. Michigan Republicans don’t have that, in the House, they don’t have that. In order to get 2/3 on any vote, House Republicans would need the help of almost a dozen Democrats. You need 73 lawmakers on your side before you get what the state constitution says you can have if you want that immediate effect, right? You need 73 votes to take effect right away…[F]or the Emergency Manager law…they just attached immediate effect to it anyway.
[...]

If you look at the numbers that you need for immediate effect in Michigan and then you look at the numbers that the Republicans actually have, it does not seem possible that the Emergency Manager law, or maybe ANY of these laws, passed in the way Republicans are saying that they did. It didn’t happen that way.
LINK

Michigan Lower State Court Tells State House it Must Hold Roll Call Votes when 22 Members Make a Request

April 2nd, 2012 It is very rare for judges to ever issue orders, directing state legislators to follow certain procedural rules while the legislature is conducting its own business. However, on April 2, a lower state court judge in Michigan said that the State House of Representatives must follow the State Constitution and hold roll call votes, instead of unrecorded votes, when at least 22 Representatives ask for a recorded vote. See this story. The House is appealing to the State Court of Appeals.

Judge tells GOP to honor requests for roll call votes in Legislature | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Well they do need to follow the law. But this kind of stuff didn't matter under liberal admins I bet.
Regardless, a judge established this law to be a two-way street at this point. Any way you crack it, that is a good thing to be fair and impartial about law.

I've never been to Michigan, but I was researching lighthouses once, and Michigan has more than a few delightful places, not to mention Great Lakes all around and an upper peninsula that is supposed to contain some of America's most beautiful forests.

My prayers for more brotherhood between both sides in the lovely Great Lakes State. Unfortunately, that only happens when one cries and the other tastes the salt.

These damn assholes aren't even following their own state's constitution.

What they are doing is completely undemocratic.
They must be following Obama's lead who doesn't follow the US Constitution.

Why the fret over a single standard?

Sounds to me, that the Dems are having a fit because they aren't in power any longer.
40 years of ruling and the state is in a shit hole over many things.

Republicans took control of House in January 2011 following the November 2010 elections. House GOP leaders continued the long tradition of either having members stand when they want a law to take immediate effect upon signature of the governor.

Democrats acknowledge they also used a rising vote when they were previously in charge.

"The House has done that for decades, regardless of who is in charge," said Ari Adler, spokesman for Bolger, R-Marshall.

Roll call votes on immediate effect clauses are sometimes taken as well, Adler said.

Sounds to me, that the Dems are having a fit because they aren't in power any longer.
40 years of ruling and the state is in a shit hole over many things.

Republicans took control of House in January 2011 following the November 2010 elections. House GOP leaders continued the long tradition of either having members stand when they want a law to take immediate effect upon signature of the governor.

Democrats acknowledge they also used a rising vote when they were previously in charge.

"The House has done that for decades, regardless of who is in charge," said Ari Adler, spokesman for Bolger, R-Marshall.

Roll call votes on immediate effect clauses are sometimes taken as well, Adler said.

LOL, weak spin, very very weak. Anyone who watched the video can see the Speaker called for those in favor to stand, and within two or three seconds claimed the motion had passed. No one believes the Speaker counted the necessary 73 votes in two or three seconds.

Democrats and the uaw bled Michigan dry and Republicans have to clean up what's left. That's Americas future it Obama gets another term

MAINE is becoming another example of the GOP ideal.

LePage is dismantling the social services network as fast as he can.

Chances are, ALEC wrote all those right wing laws in Maine just like they have written all the right wing laws here in Michigan and Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, NJ. Anywhere there is a Republican governor.

Snyder knew not to try to do away with Collective Bargaining in Michigan. He would have been recalled for sure. Notice even Ohio voted against taking away collective bargaining? More people showed up to vote that down than showed up to vote for the Governor himself. He's out next time he's up too. Walker in Wisconsin had the balls and now he's going to be recalled.

Michigan didn't realize how bad Snyder would be. Now maybe they realize they should have voted for Bernero like I did.

One tough nerd. HA!

My cop friend is pissed he's gotta pay 20% of his healthcare insurance now. Shared sacrafice. Everyone but the rich have to sacrafice.

P.S. Check out the slimy connection in Benton Harbor with the Senator who owns Whirlpool. Fred Upton I believe. Cronie capitalists!

Michiganders, people in Ohio and Wisconsin all undestand that the GOP is anti middle class. That is why the GOP has no chance in November. You can't attack the auto union employees, teachers, poice and firefighters and win Michigan any of these states.

Snyder and the GOP controlled Michigan houses are passing everything they can as fast as they can because their days are numbered.

MAINE is becoming another example of the GOP ideal.

LePage is dismantling the social services network as fast as he can.

yea come to California......the Democratic Party ideal.....

I use to live in California.

San Francisco is one of the cleanest and loveliest cities in the nation.

That must have been a while ago... it's gotten smelly and dirty I was born there and grew up in the Bay Area it is no longer a "clean city".

garbage_2.jpg

We're not talking about Obama in this thread, chapstick.
:lol: Damn you rational observation! Don't be looking behind the curtain!"
Uhhh... I was mocking the fact you wanted us to ignore the obvious parallels on the federal level and how Michigan is just farther down the road in where Obama's going to take us PLUS the constitutional violations.

Well it seems that the autocratic plans for the country are being proven out in Michigan

Kaz is short for my home town, Kalamazoo, Michigan. I also have a Michigan MBA and was recruited heavily by Ford and other local companies, but decided to go to New York instead.

People like you have run the place since the workers realized they could vote themselves out of jobs because they ran companies into the ground with ridiculous rules or to other States to survive. Michigan is a workers paradise, with no jobs. And you continue working hard to keep it that way, Comrade. What Michigan really is would be a perfect example of what you are trying to do to the rest of the country and a reason they should ignore you.

Well it seems that the autocratic plans for the country are being proven out in Michigan

Kaz is short for my home town, Kalamazoo, Michigan. I also have a Michigan MBA and was recruited heavily by Ford and other local companies, but decided to go to New York instead.

People like you have run the place since the workers realized they could vote themselves out of jobs because they ran companies into the ground with ridiculous rules or to other States to survive. Michigan is a workers paradise, with no jobs. And you continue working hard to keep it that way, Comrade. What Michigan really is would be a perfect example of what you are trying to do to the rest of the country and a reason they should ignore you.

Hey Dumbass. Michigan is coming back. Only problem is, the jobs are comig back at $15 hr and not $35 hr.

Unions faught and earned those high wages. And good healthcare. Instead of being a hater, you should have realized that they brought your wages up too. Without them you'd be working 80 hour weeks, not getting overtime, days off, sick leave, or any healthcare. Unions got all these things for you. Non union companies had to stay competitive. That is why the right is trying to kill off unions. And with them the middle class.

They didn't just send union jobs overseas jackass. We all make too much. Even you.

Sorry us Norherners can't compete wage wise with Illegals, Chinese, Prison, Indian and Southern Red Neck labor. They're too cheap. They don't need dental. Got no teeth.

Forum List

Back