Republican spokesman: ‘Let's hurl some acid' at female Democratic senators

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Jay Townsend, a campaign spokesman for Republican Rep. Nan Hayworth (NY-19) has ignited a controversy after he said, "Let's hurl some acid" at female Democratic senators.

Townsend's comments (which have since been removed) were posted Thursday on a local Facebook discussion forum for New York's 19 th congressional district. Townsend was responding to comments made by a commenter named "Tom" during an online debate over gas prices. Townsend wrote:

"Listen to Tom. What a little bee he has in his bonnet. Buzz Buzz. My question today … when is Tommy boy going to weigh in on all the Lilly Ledbetter hypocrites who claim to be fighting the War on Women? Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won't abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector."

Hayworth's office has not yet responded to requests for comment on the matter.

Republican spokesman:

I've never looked at this "site" before, but the quote is direct, though the context of the conversation that prompted the response is unclear. Either way, Townsend should have known better, particularly as it was not an off the cuff comment, but a written post in which he had the opportunity to choose his words.

Never ceases to amaze me how, being cognizant of the world in which we now live, a supposedly relatively savvy political operator can stick his foot in has mouth with such unerring accuracy.

I'd burn them at the stake, but that's just me.
death.gif

Jay Townsend, a campaign spokesman for Republican Rep. Nan Hayworth (NY-19) has ignited a controversy after he said, "Let's hurl some acid" at female Democratic senators.

Townsend's comments (which have since been removed) were posted Thursday on a local Facebook discussion forum for New York's 19 th congressional district. Townsend was responding to comments made by a commenter named "Tom" during an online debate over gas prices. Townsend wrote:

"Listen to Tom. What a little bee he has in his bonnet. Buzz Buzz. My question today … when is Tommy boy going to weigh in on all the Lilly Ledbetter hypocrites who claim to be fighting the War on Women? Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won't abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector."

Republican spokesman:

I've never looked at this "site" before, but the quote is direct, though the context of the conversation that prompted the response is unclear. Either way, Townsend should have known better, particularly as it was not an off the cuff comment, but a written post in which he had the opportunity to choose his words.

Never ceases to amaze me how, being cognizant of the world in which we now live, a supposedly relatively savvy political operator can stick his foot in has mouth with such unerring accuracy.

Those kinds of comments aren't "mistakes". The Republican Party has become a sick party full of hate and anger.
From the Republican debates:
Let him die
Applauding executions
Education is for snobs
Fire janitors and replace them with poor black kids because they don't know how to work

A sick and dirty party. Stupid as fuck and they have no realistic or thoughtful ideas. They are desperately hoping they can bribe rich people into "saving them". Like Mitt says about the housing market, "It will have to hit bottom before it can recover". The Republican Party hasn't yet "hit bottom", but it's close. Hopefully it won't drag down the rest on the country with it. But I'm afraid that might be too late.

Republican spokesman:

Those kinds of comments aren't "mistakes". The Republican Party has become a sick party full of hate and anger.
From the Republican debates:
Let him die
Applauding executions
Education is for snobs
Fire janitors and replace them with poor black kids because they don't know how to work

A sick and dirty party. Stupid as fuck and they have no realistic or thoughtful ideas. They are desperately hoping they can bribe rich people into "saving them". Like Mitt says about the housing market, "It will have to hit bottom before it can recover". The Republican Party hasn't yet "hit bottom", but it's close. Hopefully it won't drag down the rest on the country with it. But I'm afraid that might be too late.

I know right? Remember all of those Republicans at the OWS rallies? Scary Shit.

Clearly, we need more threads on this

Oh, have there been threads already? My bad.

I haven't looked but I might be willing to bet that TDM has started at least four.

Immie

I started one, Conservative let loose with a string of obscenities. I have never complained to the Moderators, so I do not know how to contact them, thus, the title remained the same. Rep. Hayworth says he was joking, by the way.

Who cares?

Only the hyper-partisn nutters even bother to post up such drivel.........as if it is going to benefit them in the bigger picture.

The economy blows...........'nuff said.

I haven't looked but I might be willing to bet that TDM has started at least four.

Immie

I started one, Conservative let loose with a string of obscenities. I have never complained to the Moderators, so I do not know how to contact them, thus, the title remained the same. Rep. Hayworth says he was joking, by the way.

That's nothing to joke about. Someone might actually think he was serious. Regardless, it is just plain wrong thinking. Hayworth defended him. At the very least she should have given him a public tongue lashing that would have sent him to the dog house with his tail between his legs and I do mean at the very least.

Immie

Clearly, we need more threads on this

Yes there have... but yours is the only one with the intellect to ask about the full context of the quote.... the rest just went for Full Retard Faux Outrage.

I had a quick ooh under "New Posts" but couldn't see anything, so....

Either way, I think my point was that the guy was an idiot to write such a phrase, when he knows full well that people (such as, for example, rdean) will use is as an example of how the right is hateful an violent. I guess I take his comment as being dysphemistic (i.e. let's throw some acidic comments). I could be wrong. Maybe he really did mean let's throw acid at people. It would seem unlikely though, IMO.

Yes there have... but yours is the only one with the intellect to ask about the full context of the quote.... the rest just went for Full Retard Faux Outrage.

I had a quick ooh under "New Posts" but couldn't see anything, so....

Either way, I think my point was that the guy was an idiot to write such a phrase, when he knows full well that people (such as, for example, rdean) will use is as an example of how the right is hateful an violent. I guess I take his comment as being dysphemistic (i.e. let's throw some acidic comments). I could be wrong. Maybe he really did mean let's throw acid at people. It would seem unlikely though, IMO.

I said much the same on another thread.... I am curious though as to what the full context was for the comment. I do like context.... it helps me decide whether I should be outraged or not.

Immie

You started at least 2

Immie

That's nothing to joke about. Someone might actually think he was serious. Regardless, it is just plain wrong thinking. Hayworth defended him. At the very least she should have given him a public tongue lashing that would have sent him to the dog house with his tail between his legs and I do mean at the very least.

Immie

I agree; still, "social media" is a mixed blessing at best. Humans write as though they are speaking to one human, or a few, face to face. Yet we cannot see the facial expressions, body language, and hear vocal intonations as we do in usual conversations. Thus, the lack of actual physical engagement can render a "joke" tasteless, an off hand remark a threat, and insults stronger.

Republican spokesman:

I think spending five minutes here, where you can see how rhertoric can get overheated, um, yeah.

Two issues here. The first is the rhetoric he used. Completely unacceptable. Public apologies and resignations should be forthcoming.

The second, that the Silly Bedwetter Act is an awful peice of legislation, then yeah. It's one Congress can't follow, but it expects the private sector to.

Immie

Use the 'red flag' at the top right of any post you feel needs to be reported. Not rocket science.

Immie

I agree; still, "social media" is a mixed blessing at best. Humans write as though they are speaking to one human, or a few, face to face. Yet we cannot see the facial expressions, body language, and hear vocal intonations as we do in usual conversations. Thus, the lack of actual physical engagement can render a "joke" tasteless, an off hand remark a threat, and insults stronger.

I agree and there is another issue at play here. We are all "assuming" that he actually wrote those words. How do we know it was him? How do we know the account is his? How do we know, rdean didn't make those comments using his name? We can be certain due to spelling that it was not TM, but rdean is decent at spelling and so is Chris, I think.

Is there any real proof that it was this guy and not someone else using his name and claiming to be him? I didn't read enough to notice if he admitted it.

Immie

Immie

You started at least 2

Yes as I have explained SEVERAL times; angry posters did not like the title, without reading the post. Thus, I started the second one to appease those easily enraged. The two were then merged, and I still do not know how to contact a Moderator to change the thread title. At this point I would not do so anyway. those who wish to give critiques of topics should first begin with reading what is written(.)

I do not "report" or complain to the moderators. So I do not know how to contact them(.)

I have never heard of the spokesperson nor the Senator they work for it was clearly a stupid comment but stupid comments are nothing new in politics you can find enough from both sides to satisfy the most rabid partisan.

Forum List

Back