Republican spending plan signals a new culture war

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Dana Milbank - Republican spending plan signals a new culture war

The morning after the House voted to repeal the health-care law, Speaker John Boehner walked into a TV studio in the Capitol complex to announce his next act: "a ban on taxpayer funding of abortions across all federal programs."

It "reflects the will of the people," Boehner proclaimed. "It's one of our highest legislative priorities."

"First repeal health care, now this.... What about jobs?" the first questioner asked after Boehner finished his abortion rollout. "I thought that jobs was the highest priority."

"Our members feel very strongly about the sanctity of human life," Boehner answered. "We listened to the American people."

Actually, Mr. Speaker, 63 percent of voters said the economy was the most important issue, according to exit polls for the November election. Voters asked for jobs - and you're giving them a culture war.

Ostensibly, their cuts were about reducing the deficit, but their list clearly had more to do with settling old scores. Many of the items - including the renewed targeting of Big Bird and the rest of PBS - were holdovers from Newt Gingrich's '95 wish list.

But, like Boehner did earlier, Rep. Jim Jordan, chairman of the RSC, claimed he was doing what the voters "elected us to do." Never mind all that folderol about jobs.

This isn't just some ideologue talking: Jordan speaks for the new Republican majority. Of the 242 House Republicans, 176 are members of the RSC - and the leadership obeys. As the RSC news conference was beginning, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's office e-mailed a news release saying he "applauds" the group's effort.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Too bad. The 50% of us who actually pay FEderal Income Taxes are tired of the left winged big bird.. he can finance his own birdshit.

It's an old culture war. Even the wild eyed drooling left should realize that we can't afford free abortions at taxpayer expense. A good example of skewed left wing priorities is the former democrat governor of Virginia cutting back spending. He closed most of the rest stops on the interstates. How's that for spending cuts? He put us all in jeopardy of tired drivers not to mention the distraction of having to use the bathroom or the hazard of stopping along the interstate to change a diaper. The first thing the republican governor did was to re-open the rest stops and he still cut the budget.

It's an old culture war. Even the wild eyed drooling left should realize that we can't afford free abortions at taxpayer expense. A good example of skewed left wing priorities is the former democrat governor of Virginia cutting back spending. He closed most of the rest stops on the interstates. How's that for spending cuts? He put us all in jeopardy of tired drivers not to mention the distraction of having to use the bathroom or the hazard of stopping along the interstate to change a diaper. The first thing the republican governor did was to re-open the rest stops and he still cut the budget.
Guess you didn't read the bill.

Oh boy, another story about evil Republicans starving people and slashing benefits. Boo fucking hoo.

How original. Quite the one-trick-pony these leftist whackaloons.

Hahahahaha, so cutting programs is going to cause all the Freeloaders to stomp their feet and cry.

oh well, bye bye Big Bird.:lol:

The morning after the House voted to repeal the health-care law, Speaker John Boehner walked into a TV studio in the Capitol complex to announce his next act: "a ban on taxpayer funding of abortions across all federal programs."

It "reflects the will of the people," Boehner proclaimed. "It's one of our highest legislative priorities."

"First repeal health care, now this.... What about jobs?" the first questioner asked after Boehner finished his abortion rollout. "I thought that jobs was the highest priority."
"Our members feel very strongly about the sanctity of human life," Boehner answered. "We listened to the American people."

Actually, Mr. Speaker, 63 percent of voters said the economy was the most important issue, according to exit polls for the November election. Voters asked for jobs - and you're giving them a culture war.
Ostensibly, their cuts were about reducing the deficit, but their list clearly had more to do with settling old scores. Many of the items - including the renewed targeting of Big Bird and the rest of PBS - were holdovers from Newt Gingrich's '95 wish list.
But, like Boehner did earlier, Rep. Jim Jordan, chairman of the RSC, claimed he was doing what the voters "elected us to do." Never mind all that folderol about jobs.

This isn't just some ideologue talking: Jordan speaks for the new Republican majority. Of the 242 House Republicans, 176 are members of the RSC - and the leadership obeys. As the RSC news conference was beginning, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor's office e-mailed a news release saying he "applauds" the group's effort.

I don't quite get your point. Are you trying to argue that more people approve of spending taxes on abortions than oppose spending more money period? Could I also point out that a sizable percentage of Democrats also oppose spending tax money on abortions, or would that make you partisan tripe fall apart?

Just an FYI, I oppose any government spending on any news organization at all. NPR depends on government funding, yet supposedly has an unbiased news division. Anyone who does not oppose government funded news is a complete idiot.

Last edited:

surprise about what? the washington post twisting? I'm not surprised either.

surprise about what? the washington post twisting? I'm not surprised either.

I am surprised that the Post apparently thinks that politicians are capable of doing only one thing at a time. If one tries to ensure that abortions are not funded by taxpayers.... that automatically means they cannot focus on jobs.

Guess you didn't read the bill.

Now reading bills is important?

no effing way, modbert makes a thread about how evil republicans are...i'm shocked!!!

Actually, all he did was take an article and post part of it, using the article's title, and then sarcastically note that the new leadership of the HoR was RINO, Boehner.

I'm not sure why anyone should be surprised: When Boehner proposed budget cuts amounting to $100 B in November, he showed his hand.

Apparently we need to give Washington another soaking in Tea before anything like partisan business-as-usual changes.

Wait.
Wasn't it Democrats who spent 9 months producing Obamacare while people were clamoring about jobs?
Wasn't in Democrats who held up passing the bill because of the abortion issue?
Wasn't it Democrats who caved in after Obama signed an executive order promising no money would go to abortions?
So suddenly this shows the GOP in a bad light? Hullooooo????

I done this long reaserch piece just for the liberal progressives who are recently MIA on this forum...

Are Progressives Leading People to the 'Dark Side'?

Are Progressives Leading People to the 'Dark Side'?

Progressive Policy Institute

Charity Navigator Rating - Progressive Policy Institute

America's Progressive Community

CommonDreams.org | To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.

ACORN And Progressive Politics in America

http://comm-org.wisc.edu/papers2005/dreier.htm

BlackCommentator.com - Where Black Power Meets Progressive Politics

Progressive Web Sites

Progressive Web Sites

U.S. Progressive Politics > Magazines

Magazines < U.S. Progressive Politics in the Yahoo! Directory

Congressional Democratic Leaders and Other Noted Liberals

Congressional Democratic Leaders and Other Noted Liberals

Cowards vs. Hypocrites: Why Democratic Politicians Despise the “Professional Left”

Why Democratic Politicians Despise ?Professional Left? | LA Progressive

UN May Rein In Carbon Trading Scam

http://www.manufacturing.net/News/F...board-could-rein-in-27-billion-carbon-market/

I disagree wholeheartedly with the premise of the article.

This is the same old culture war. Nothing new about it.

I am surprised that the Post apparently thinks that politicians are capable of doing only one thing at a time. If one tries to ensure that abortions are not funded by taxpayers.... that automatically means they cannot focus on jobs.

Except they haven't had introduced one Jobs bill yet. They have however introduced 5 bills about repealing the estate tax which at this point only affects the top 1%.

Though they have been swore in almost a month now. What have the GOP done so far outside of the symbolic vote on the Healthcare bill?

Actually, all he did was take an article and post part of it, using the article's title, and then sarcastically note that the new leadership of the HoR was RINO, Boehner.

Pretty much.

If you can defund abortion and cut benefits, you can create lots of new babies you can watch starve.

&#8220;My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed! You&#8217;re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don&#8217;t think too much further than that. And so what you&#8217;ve got to do is you&#8217;ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don&#8217;t know any better.&#8221;

&#8211; Andre Bauer, lieutenant governor of South Carolina
and candidate for S.C. governor

Andre Bauer solution: Starve the poor - Google Search

Oh, these Republicans and their solutions. You can't say they aren't "original".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we stop funding abortions as a means of making women responsible for their actions.

Forum List

Back