Republican Senator Admits Palin Lack Experience

Sep 15, 2008
There is an article on Yahoo! about how Rep. Senator Chuck Hagel questions the credentials of Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin. Cant post it because I can not put in links apparently until my 15th post. Can anyone do me the honor of posting the link and getting the discussion kicked off? Thanks in advance.

You know it is bad when even a Republican will admit that Palin lacks the necessary experience to run a country. Granted, Hagel seems pretty liberal from everything I have read, but it is still telling. It is clear Palin is just on the ticket to garner the Hillary vote, which admittedly is a smart move politically, but has terrible/non existent credentials. I do not understand all of the Palin hype. If she was a man, everyone would be calling McCain an idiot right now.

Just as you have people on the left, moderate DEMs, and true centrists that repeat the fact that is shouted by conservatives, that Obama is grossly under qualified and inexperienced for the job

and your point is?

And as you 'cannot understand' the Palin hype... many of use cannot understand the Obama hype

Got ya covered.

GOP senator: A 'stretch' to say Palin is qualified - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON - Nebraska Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel said his party's vice presidential nominee, Sarah Palin, lacks foreign policy experience and called it a "stretch" to say she's qualified to be president.

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel said in an interview published Thursday by the Omaha World-Herald. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

Could Palin lead the country if GOP presidential nominee John McCain could not?

"I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of the United States," Hagel said.

There is an article on Yahoo! about how Rep. Senator Chuck Hagel questions the credentials of Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin. Cant post it because I can not put in links apparently until my 15th post. Can anyone do me the honor of posting the link and getting the discussion kicked off? Thanks in advance.

You know it is bad when even a Republican will admit that Palin lacks the necessary experience to run a country. Granted, Hagel seems pretty liberal from everything I have read, but it is still telling. It is clear Palin is just on the ticket to garner the Hillary vote, which admittedly is a smart move politically, but has terrible/non existent credentials. I do not understand all of the Palin hype. If she was a man, everyone would be calling McCain an idiot right now.

I was wondering about that as well. Palin has slightly more experience than Obama. Couldn't the Republicans have found a female with more experience?

I was wondering about that as well. Palin has slightly more experience than Obama. Couldn't the Republicans have found a female with more experience?

Sure, but not any that are viable. Hutchinson and Snowe come to mind, but they are Senators, and would not have helped any.

Palin has more experience than Obama, and is extremely popular in here home state. She also has a reputation as a reformer who is not afraid to take on her own party, and she is much younger than McCain.

A perfect fit for McCain.

Picking Palin will go down as one of the most crafty political moves of our times. If that is McCain wins.

Don't be fool....Republicans Chuck Hagel is Democrats Zell Miller....only Zell was truthful...

Just as you have people on the left, moderate DEMs, and true centrists that repeat the fact that is shouted by conservatives, that Obama is grossly under qualified and inexperienced for the job

and your point is?

And as you 'cannot understand' the Palin hype... many of use cannot understand the Obama hype

One candidate was the president of the Harvard Law Review.

The other candidate can't remember how many houses he owns.

Palin has more experience than Obama, and is extremely popular in here home state. She also has a reputation as a reformer who is not afraid to take on her own party, and she is much younger than McCain.

A perfect fit for McCain.

Picking Palin will go down as one of the most crafty political moves of our times. If that is McCain wins.

Obama is also very popular in his state and has a reputation as a reformer. What is this experience that you speak of? Being the governor of Alaska for two years or being the mayor of a town of 6500 people? Neither one is very impressive. I am sorry, but I would rather have a candidate who was popular and reform minded in a state like Illinois, that is politically important on many levels, then Alaska. 12 million as opposed to 600 thousand. I am not impressed at all.

Obama is also very popular in his state and has a reputation as a reformer. What is this experience that you speak of? Being the governor of Alaska for two years or being the mayor of a town of 6500 people? Neither one is very impressive. I am sorry, but I would rather have a candidate who was popular and reform minded in a state like Illinois, that is politically important on many levels, then Alaska. 12 million as opposed to 600 thousand. I am not impressed at all.

Obama politically important? I have seen no evidence of this. Obama as a reformer? No. Obama has fit right into the typical runnings of government, and has actually had no significant accomplishments with his positions. Obama has not had to be the final decision on any issue. He has not had to show leadership in any capacity.

Next you'll state that being a commander over a 1000 person military company is not experience in leadership. Or that being the governor of Hawaii is less of a job than being governor or Florida.

It is Obama that you should not be impressed with at all. And he is running for the #1 slot on the ballot, not the #2.

Palin was asked at a town hall yesterday if she would address the lack of foreign experrience criticism. She basically said that she would be ready, on day one.But she didn't give any indication at all that the criticisms were wrong. In other words, she didn't say anything new to bolster her potential credentials.

To my ears it sounded like she was acknowledging a lack of experience and hoping that the time between now and January would be enough to get up to speed.

Separately, a friend of mine said that Palin claimed Ireland as a place she had visited. Turns out that "visit" amounts to the plane she was on re-fueling in Ireland en route to Kuwait.

<rolleyes>

Obama politically important? I have seen no evidence of this. Obama as a reformer? No. Obama has fit right into the typical runnings of government, and has actually had no significant accomplishments with his positions. Obama has not had to be the final decision on any issue. He has not had to show leadership in any capacity.

Next you'll state that being a commander over a 1000 person military company is not experience in leadership. Or that being the governor of Hawaii is less of a job than being governor or Florida.

It is Obama that you should not be impressed with at all. And he is running for the #1 slot on the ballot, not the #2.

I would never argue that Obama has a wealth of experience running a country, but who does going into their first term as president? Obama is a highly intelligent man that obviously cares about his community and HAS been a reformer in the state of Illinois. If you do not believe that then you may want to do a little bit more research before coming back. He is well traveled and understands other cultures, which is vital in today's world. I claimed that ILLINOIS was politically important, not Obama. Regardless, if you do not believe that Obama is politically important then you are a fool. He has become a symbol of hope to many across the country, and even though you may not see it, there are millions of others who do.

Running Alaska and running a state like Florida IS different. Alaskan people have an extraordinary amount of freedom from the government and they pride themselves on that. Managing a state that has over ten million people and a significantly larger budget is inherently a much greater responsibility and different then running a state of a much smaller size.

You are right. Palin is only #2 while Obama is going to be the #1 and, in my opinion, VP's don't have much responsibility in most presidencies (unless you are Dick Cheney). The reason I have such an issue with Palin is that because McCain is so old, there is a good possibility that he may not live through his presidency or could possibly become incapacitated during his term and Palin would have to take over. I would rather have a well educated person who cares about the people in charge, then a woman with no LEGITIMATE experience that lacks a serious education and just got on the ticket cause she was a woman who is a "straight shooter." Give me a break.

Turns out that "visit" amounts to the plane she was on re-fueling in Ireland en route to Kuwait.

You mean when she was on her wait to visit soldiers? When Barack Obama finally decided to go overseas (after McCain pointed out that Obama hadn't been there in years), Obama went to Europe to give speeches and continue to compare himself to JFK. Palin went to visit soldiers, Obama went to give speeches. McCain went to visit soldiers, Obama went to give speeches. Palin and McCain went to help out volunteers before Ike, Obama was giving speeches. See a pattern?

That was one of the dumbest posts I have seen in a while. Obama has visited troops numerous times both in Iraq and Afghanistan (January 2006 and July 2008 respectively). Congratulations to Palin for leaving North America for the first time in her life. Woohoo. How dare Obama travel the world and attempt to repair the relationships with foreign countries that Bush has destroyed over the past eight years. I see a pattern of stupidity and misinformation on the part of the Republican Party and its supporters, definitely. Get your facts straight before you post outright lies on a national message board.

New Topics

Forum List

Back