Republican Sellout - Winners and Loosers

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Ben Shapiro

May 25, 2005

Article II of the Constitution of the United States states that the president "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint … Judges of the supreme Court …" This means that the Senate shall either consent or refuse judicial nominees -- it shall give each nominee an up-or-down vote. It does not mean that a handful of minority senators may hold up the entire process by filibustering nominees.

The so-called "nuclear option," by which Senate Republicans would have sought a rules change to prevent filibusters on judicial nominees, is therefore not only fully constitutional, but more in line with the spirit of the document than minority obstructionism. And yet Monday night, a handful of Senate Republicans decided to undercut their colleagues and a group of well-qualified judicial nominees by surrendering to Senate Democrats.

A new "deal," created by 14 senators, allows for the Democrats' continued use of filibusters in "extraordinary circumstances," and pledges Republican senators not to vote in favor of a rules change. Defining the term "extraordinary circumstances" is to be left to individual senators -- meaning that Democrats lost nothing by their obstructionism, and Republicans lost everything. Yes, a few of President Bush's judicial nominees will reach the Senate floor: Priscilla Owen (who has been waiting in line for over four years), William Pryor (more than two years), and Janice Rogers Brown (22 months) will all be confirmed. But many more will not, and the Republicans just threw away their only remaining weapon.

So in this political game of chicken, it is the Democrats who emerge victorious. It is the Republicans who cover themselves in shame. Here are the big winners and losers in this, the most important political battle in recent memory.

WINNERS:

Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) -- Reid played the Republicans like fish here. He breached Senate protocol -- and plain decency -- by implying that FBI files on judicial nominee Henry Saad contained damning material. He called President Bush a "loser" and obstructed for months on end. Now, Reid is smirking for the cameras, and Democratic National Committee Chair Howard Dean is chuckling that the deal was "a huge loss for the right wing" and for the president.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) -- McCain's "maverick" credentials are intact. The media love him, and he certainly loves the media more than either his base or his principles. McCain's side-dealing highlights him as a rival to President Bush and the real leader of the Senate.

Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) -- With McCain's backstabbing and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's weak-kneed schoolgirl routine, Allen (who immediately condemned the deal) now emerges as the Republican senator with the best shot at the 2008 presidential nomination.

Janice Rogers Brown -- By explicitly allowing Brown onto the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, Democrats have painted themselves into a corner if she's nominated for the Supreme Court. It will be difficult to cite "extraordinary circumstances" to filibuster her once she's already received an up-or-down vote.

LOSERS:

President Bush -- He's relegated to choosing second-tier candidates for his judicial nominations and fuming about judicial activism. So much for "spending political capital."

Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) -- Majority leader? What majority leader? McCain made Frist look foolish and probably prevented Frist's ascent to the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. Frist should have pushed the nuclear option sooner and whipped his senators into line. Now he's left an emergency message with Fox's "Nanny 911."

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) -- McCain better enjoy his glory now because he will never win a Republican presidential primary. Ever. From campaign finance reform to judicial nominees, from flirting with John Kerry to criticizing President Bush, McCain has amply demonstrated that he is unfit to run on a national ticket with an "R" next to his name.

The Republican Party -- Never has a majority party proved to be so spineless. Republicans, lest we forget, constitute 55 out of 100 senators and have the power to do what they please. Instead, they capitulated. It is now crystal clear that unless Republicans own almost 60 seats, rules will not be changed; unless Republicans own almost 70, cloture will never be invoked on a major issue. If that doesn't discourage the Republican base, nothing will.

The American people -- Hope everyone out there likes Sandra Day O'Connor, Anthony Kennedy and David Souter, because whoever replaces Justices Rehnquist, Stevens and Ginsburg will likely look more like those three faux-Constitutionalists than like Antonin Scalia or Clarence Thomas. You can thank McCain and Co. and the gutless Republican leadership as America is force-fed pure European liberalism through the unchecked hand of judicial review.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/benshapiro/printbs20050525.shtml

Bonnie said:

Well I believe the day has come for a new conservative party to emerge from all the doom and glum...How about the "Andy Jackson" party... after all he kicked butt in the war of"1812"... and campaigned for the removal of Spanish control of Florida..a real maverick he was...kicked ass and took names..went on to become President...but still required all to call him General...not President! We need a new leader with cahunas...or "Patton not Patton leather" :firing: :salute: ;)

archangel said:
Well I believe the day has come for a new conservative party to emerge from all the doom and glum...How about the "Andy Jackson" party... after all he kicked butt in the war of"1812"... and campaigned for the removal of Spanish control of Florida..a real maverick he was...kicked ass and took names..went on to become President...but still required all to call him General...not President! We need a new leader with cahunas...or "Patton not Patton leather" :firing: :salute: ;)

It's time alright! But who to lead it? It seems like they all are more like patent leather, not Patton. :(

ScreamingEagle said:
It's time alright! But who to lead it? It seems like they all are more like patent leather, not Patton. :(

Maybe we should just have lifesized cardboard cutouts of politicians with prerecorded rubber stamped voice messages that are propped up in the Senate chamber. Then we could lower Senatorial salaries and perks. :rolleyes:

ScreamingEagle said:

God there has to be someone out there...with the enourmous amount money needed to campaign...If I had the bucks I would give it a shot!...don't so I am still looking for someone who does and really cares..any suggestions from the forum? :dunno:

Bonnie said:
Maybe we should just have lifesized cardboard cutouts of politicians with prerecorded rubber stamped voice messages that are propped up in the Senate chamber. Then we could lower Senatorial salaries and perks. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should outsource our Senators and Congressmen. :cof:

archangel said:
God there has to be someone out there...with the enourmous amount money needed to campaign...If I had the bucks I would give it a shot!...don't so I am still looking for someone who does and really cares..any suggestions from the forum? :dunno:

I saw a blip last night on Jeanine Pirro, attorney general of Westchester Country, NY. Supposedly she would give Hillary a run for her money and maybe even cause Hillary to drop out. In any case, it looks like Ms. Pirro is going places.

Waiting for Ms. Pirro to Pick Her Shot

Journalists are clearly praying for Door No. 1, pitting Ms. Pirro against Mrs. Clinton. It offers power women, wayward husbands, a whiff of presidential politics, and endless layers of intrigue. For starters, Mr. Pirro blamed his indictment on "the Clinton administration's investigative tactics into campaigns that are being run by Republicans." Payback, anyone?

But given the polarized state of American politics, do you really want to line up with Bill Frist and Tom DeLay in a Senate race in New York against a popular Democratic senator whose husband is the smartest strategist the Democrats have? "It's about the person, not the party," said Ms. Pirro, like any potential candidate whose party label is an albatross in her race. "If people voted on party alone, you don't even need a candidate."

This is not to say that Ms. Pirro isn't the best candidate - by far - the Republicans could find, just that the race has to offer her as much as it does Karl Rove. Even some friends have a hard time seeing what the draw is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/nyregion/25towns.html

archangel said:

There is a conservative party already out there, the Constitution party, check them out. Certainly the Repubs are not the party of conservatism.

ScreamingEagle said:
I saw a blip last night on Jeanine Pirro, attorney general of Westchester Country, NY. Supposedly she would give Hillary a run for her money and maybe even cause Hillary to drop out. In any case, it looks like Ms. Pirro is going places.

I'm all for a cute and bright young one to give the old hiararchy a run for their money...go get em girl....thats what I say! :funnyface

OCA said:
There is a conservative party already out there, the Constitution party, check them out. Certainly the Repubs are not the party of conservatism.

But will check them out....even though I think the "Andy Jackson" party would be the best bet...something new and forward thinking! :scratch:

ScreamingEagle said:

She is one smart savvy lady, I don't know her politics though I would venture a guess since she is/was a prosecutor she would be more inclined toward conservativism.

OCA said:

Im starting to agree with you! Grass roots is always the way these parties gather steam.

Bonnie said:
Im starting to agree with you! Grass roots is always the way these parties gather steam.

Bonnie how long have we been hearing about downsizing government and repairing all the social damage done to America by Demos and libs from Repubs over the last, lets say 30-35 years? What really has been done? Nothing. They campaign on this and on that and then when put into office its more of the same old bullshit, politics for power. Really there is no difference anymore between Demos and Repubs as evidenced by actions lately. Its time for a change.

I mean Repubs have a golden chance to enact some of their policies right now with their majority in Washington and still, their masters the Demos lead them around by the nose.

OCA said:
I mean Repubs have a golden chance to enact some of their policies right now with their majority in Washington and still, their masters the Demos lead them around by the nose.

Bill Frist gets to take the blame if he can't grab sack and push the agenda through. If he continues at this rate, he'll never get any votes.

gop_jeff said:
Bill Frist gets to take the blame if he can't grab sack and push the agenda through. If he continues at this rate, he'll never get any votes.

Well Jeff then blame him because nothing is getting done, in fact he's lost control of Senate Repubs apparently. This is looking like the biggest failure yet for Repubs.

Heard Gordon Liddy try to explain it that Repub's are just frightened of the liberal media ripping them to shreds.. Maybe it's that when all these Repub were in their politically formative years the Dems controlled everything. Hell I don't know. But the spineless damn lack of courage is getting old as the hills. The Repubs need a young leader sporting a pair that isn't afraid to tell the Dems and their media budies to stick it where the sun don't shine. I mean get up in front of the cameras and the American people and lay it out. "The Dems in their present state are anti-Capitalist, anti-Democratic; with their deference to the Courts to decide what the electorate should, anti-Defense; desiring the United States to allow itself to be ruled by the U.N., anti-Christian, ultimately anti-American; in that the first nation to blame for all the world's ills is the United States, and their willing syncophants in the media are lying to the American people on their behalf."

OCA said:
Bonnie how long have we been hearing about downsizing government and repairing all the social damage done to America by Demos and libs from Repubs over the last, lets say 30-35 years? What really has been done? Nothing. They campaign on this and on that and then when put into office its more of the same old bullshit, politics for power. Really there is no difference anymore between Demos and Repubs as evidenced by actions lately. Its time for a change.

Im so aggravated by this whole situation I really hate watching the news. And today now the Democrats again bit Frist right in the ass with Bolton's nomination.

Bonnie said:
Im so aggravated by this whole situation I really hate watching the news. And today now the Democrats again bit Frist right in the ass with Bolton's nomination.

Yes but Frist, well first of all I know he wasn't in the gang of 14 but he still holds the blame because he let this happen and he's a dumbass for not knowing this was coming.

OCA said:
Yes but Frist, well first of all I know he wasn't in the gang of 14 but he still holds the blame because he let this happen and he's a dumbass for not knowing this was coming.

Your right, Frist needs to be a leader, right now it's a battle between him and Reid for that title and I think they will both be running for president. I like Frist but he needs to take control of the wagon here!

Forum List

Back