Republican Rep. Walsh's floor speech on gay marriage goes viral

R

rdean

Republican Rep. Walsh's floor speech on gay marriage goes viral

When Rep. Maureen Walsh gave a heartfelt speech this week in support of legalizing same-sex marriage, she was talking to 97 of her colleagues in the Legislature.

But the whole world was watching, and Walsh -- a Walla Walla Republican who broke ranks with her party to support the legislation -- found herself flooded with calls and emails Thursday after video of her speech went viral on the internet.

"I can't believe what's going on. I just got an email from Ireland," Walsh told the Herald during a break in legislative action Thursday.

Walsh spoke during the Wednesday debate about the bond she shared with her late husband and her desire for all couples to be able to experience that kind of connection. She also spoke about her love for her lesbian daughter and wanting to someday throw her daughter a wedding.

"I was proud of myself because I didn't cry," she said. "When I really got emotional was afterward when my daughter texted me and said, 'You rock, Mom!' "

Walla Walla Rep. Walsh's floor speech on gay marriage goes viral | Olympia - The News Tribune

Walsh was one of only two Republicans in the House to vote Wednesday in favor of the bill allowing gay couples to marry in Washington

Representative Maureen Walsh Remarks on ESSB 6239 - YouTube

It's different when it's one of your kids.

people seem to want equal rights for people when those people are in their own family. funny how that works.

Not always.

Alan Keyes tossed his gay daughter out into the street and cut off all ties.

Newt doesn't want his gay sister to have the same rights as him.

Michelle Bachmann lied about her gay sister.

Phyllis Schlafly, the mother the modern conservative movement pretty much dropped out of politics when her middle aged son was outed.

Many conservatives have gay family members. Gays come from everywhere. They hate them equally.

Uncle Ferd says its a Commie Mooslamic plot to legalize gay marriages...
:eek:
Obama's 'Taking Supportive Actions' on Same-Sex Marriage
May 8, 2012 -– Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Tuesday that President Barack Obama has been "taking supportive actions" on same-sex marriage.
At the same time, Nadler said he would let the president "handle his own opinions and political and other considerations." CNSNews.com asked the congressman what he thought about President Obama’s continued “evolution” on same-sex marriage after Vice President Joe Biden’s comments on Sunday that he is “absolutely comfortable” with it. “Well, I’ll let the president handle his own opinions and political and other considerations,” Nadler said. “I think what’s important about the president’s actions is that he’s taking supportive actions.”

Nadler continued: “He’s directed the Justice Department not to defend the constitutionality of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act [DOMA], which I think is unconstitutional, and he’s concluded is unconstitutional so that the Justice Department is not arguing in favor of it in court, that is probably the most important action. He’s been very supportive of gay rights in many other respects, ending ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ and various other things he’s done.”

The Defense of Marriage Act protects one state from being forced to recognize a same-sex marriage contracted in another state. Thus, although Obama does not formally endorse same-sex marriage, by opposing DOMA, he is advocating a position that would force all states in the union to recognize same-sex marriages from Massachusetts and other states that legally allow them. “So, I’m the sponsor, as I assume you know, of the Respect for Marriage Act, which would repeal DOMA, and which the president has also endorsed on this subject,” he added. “So I’m gratified the president has done what he’s done, I hope he’ll come further in his good time,” said Nadler, Ranking Member of the Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on the Constitution.

CNSNews.com then asked, “But do you think the president should--since he’s been so supportive of the LGBT community--should he go one step further and endorse gay marriage?” Nadler responded: “Well, from my point of view it’d be nice if he did that, but he’s got to determine all the different considerations, and his own opinions.”

MORE

See also:

A Scramble as Biden Backs Same-Sex Marriage
May 6, 2012 - Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. said on Sunday that he was “absolutely comfortable” with same-sex marriages and was heartened by their growing acceptance across the country, a position that moves well beyond the “evolving” views that President Obama has said he holds on the issue.
The comments, which aides described as the off-the-cuff views of a vice president not known for fidelity to a script, sent the White House scrambling to clarify that Mr. Biden was not articulating an official change in policy, a reaction that highlighted the administration’s unease over the subject. In an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Mr. Biden invoked some of the same language that advocates of same-sex marriage use, speaking of family, equality and love. “I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and heterosexual men and women marrying one another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties,” Mr. Biden said, while noting that the president, not he, sets policy on such matters.

Mr. Biden’s unexpectedly expansive remarks made him by far the highest-ranking White House official to move closer to a formal embrace of same-sex marriage, which is now legal in six states and the District of Columbia but is unrecognized by the federal government. The Obama administration has endorsed civil unions but not marriage for gay couples. The vice president’s comments are likely to intensify pressure on Mr. Obama, who says he is still wrestling with his feelings about same-sex marriage, to take a clearer stance on it before the presidential election this fall, something the White House has shown reluctance to do. Mr. Biden’s aides, in insisting that he was not deviating from White House policy, pointed to a 2010 statement by the vice president that the country was moving toward a “national consensus” on same-sex marriage. And in Sunday’s interview, Mr. Biden did not say explicitly that the federal government should recognize it.

But gay rights advocates, who spent Sunday morning parsing Mr. Biden’s words, said the president’s running mate had, in their analysis, conveyed new and unmistakable support for their biggest cause. Mr. Biden called the debate surrounding the issue a simple question of “who do you love?” and “and will you be loyal to the person you love?” “That’s what people are finding out is what, what all marriages, at their root, are about,” he said, “Whether they’re marriages of lesbians or gay men or heterosexuals.” Mr. Obama faces growing calls from gay and lesbian voters and a formidable array of wealthy gay donors to support same-sex marriage and make it a part of the Democratic Party’s platform at its convention. Many of his supporters believe that he privately backs it but is unwilling to say so before a general election that may be decided in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, where such a position could provoke a backlash.

In 1996, as a candidate for the Illinois Senate, Mr. Obama answered on a candidate’s questionnaire, “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages.” But after he became president, White House officials said Mr. Obama had been referring to civil unions. Since then, Mr. Obama has repeatedly said he believes that gay couples should have the same rights as heterosexual couples, but he has not used the symbolically freighted term marriage, as Mr. Biden did. In 2010, when asked about same-sex marriage, Mr. Obama said, “My baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have.” Gay rights leaders expressed frustration and dismay on Sunday over attempts by the White House to play down the vice president’s words and said that the president’s own endorsement of same-sex marriage was long overdue.

MORE

Related:

Arne Duncan: Gay marriage should be legal

We arent talking about equal rights. Everyone already has the same rights as everyone else. Hence, we are already equal.

people seem to want equal rights for people when those people are in their own family. funny how that works.

Not always.

Alan Keyes tossed his gay daughter out into the street and cut off all ties.

Newt doesn't want his gay sister to have the same rights as him.

Michelle Bachmann lied about her gay sister.

Phyllis Schlafly, the mother the modern conservative movement pretty much dropped out of politics when her middle aged son was outed.

Many conservatives have gay family members. Gays come from everywhere. They hate them equally.

Once again ..hyperbole from gay supporters.."They hate them equally"...

Tell me.. do you think ALL gays are born gay?
More importantly will same sex partners have babies directly from their sexual relations?
The reason I ask you that question in conjunction with are all gays born gay is that
just as you hyperbolize about "hating them equally"!
All gays will NOT have offspring from sexual relations with each other. Impossible.

But what I am suggesting to you goes WAY over your head I'm sure but this is for other people with less irrational more logical thinking capacity then you!

Fundamental question for gay supporters...
How does a "I've gotta be me" i.e. gays who say they were "born gay" propogate?

Think ... Is there a genetic predisposition to NOT propogate?

Think... if there were would we be here?

Isn't it just the little bit possible that in the "nature vs Nurture" argument that most thinking people understand as genetics versus behavior modification there is a possibility that "gayness" is learned?

Forum List

Back