Republican Rep. Walsh's floor speech on gay marriage goes viral

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rdean, Feb 10, 2012.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,867
    Republican Rep. Walsh's floor speech on gay marriage goes viral

When Rep. Maureen Walsh gave a heartfelt speech this week in support of legalizing same-sex marriage, she was talking to 97 of her colleagues in the Legislature.

But the whole world was watching, and Walsh -- a Walla Walla Republican who broke ranks with her party to support the legislation -- found herself flooded with calls and emails Thursday after video of her speech went viral on the internet.

"I can't believe what's going on. I just got an email from Ireland," Walsh told the Herald during a break in legislative action Thursday.

Walsh spoke during the Wednesday debate about the bond she shared with her late husband and her desire for all couples to be able to experience that kind of connection. She also spoke about her love for her lesbian daughter and wanting to someday throw her daughter a wedding.

"I was proud of myself because I didn't cry," she said. "When I really got emotional was afterward when my daughter texted me and said, 'You rock, Mom!' "

Walla Walla Rep. Walsh's floor speech on gay marriage goes viral | Olympia - The News Tribune

Walsh was one of only two Republicans in the House to vote Wednesday in favor of the bill allowing gay couples to marry in Washington

Representative Maureen Walsh Remarks on ESSB 6239 - YouTube

It's different when it's one of your kids.

2. CaughtInTheMid

CaughtInTheMid Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    people seem to want equal rights for people when those people are in their own family. funny how that works.

3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,867
    Not always.

Alan Keyes tossed his gay daughter out into the street and cut off all ties.

Newt doesn't want his gay sister to have the same rights as him.

Michelle Bachmann lied about her gay sister.

Phyllis Schlafly, the mother the modern conservative movement pretty much dropped out of politics when her middle aged son was outed.

Many conservatives have gay family members. Gays come from everywhere. They hate them equally.

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,858
    Uncle Ferd says its a Commie Mooslamic plot to legalize gay marriages...
    :eek:
    Obama's 'Taking Supportive Actions' on Same-Sex Marriage
    May 8, 2012 -– Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Tuesday that President Barack Obama has been "taking supportive actions" on same-sex marriage.
    See also:

A Scramble as Biden Backs Same-Sex Marriage
    May 6, 2012 - Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. said on Sunday that he was “absolutely comfortable” with same-sex marriages and was heartened by their growing acceptance across the country, a position that moves well beyond the “evolving” views that President Obama has said he holds on the issue.
    Related:

Arne Duncan: Gay marriage should be legal

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,145
    We arent talking about equal rights. Everyone already has the same rights as everyone else. Hence, we are already equal.

6. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Once again ..hyperbole from gay supporters.."They hate them equally"...

Tell me.. do you think ALL gays are born gay?
    More importantly will same sex partners have babies directly from their sexual relations?
    The reason I ask you that question in conjunction with are all gays born gay is that
    just as you hyperbolize about "hating them equally"!
    All gays will NOT have offspring from sexual relations with each other. Impossible.

But what I am suggesting to you goes WAY over your head I'm sure but this is for other people with less irrational more logical thinking capacity then you!

7. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Fundamental question for gay supporters...
    How does a "I've gotta be me" i.e. gays who say they were "born gay" propogate?

Think ... Is there a genetic predisposition to NOT propogate?

Think... if there were would we be here?

Isn't it just the little bit possible that in the "nature vs Nurture" argument that most thinking people understand as genetics versus behavior modification there is a possibility that "gayness" is learned?