Republican Presidential Candidates: First the smoke and mirrors?

Oh, before this I thought you were talking from a rational perspective.

Seems I was wrong. :lol::lol:

I was.

And maybe the "Both had incredibly large ears" comment counts as insightful political commentary in your parts.

Here..not so much.

Who said that?

Samson.

And I am pretty surprised by the comment. Johnson was extremely popular, politically a genius and very powerful. He was also a "War President" and an encumbent.

He would won easily.

Generally, at this point, Republicans have firmed up who they are going to run. That hasn't happened yet. And what they may be doing is this:
-Put up ridiculous candidates to attack President Obama on nonsense issues.
-Let the "Tea Party" types burn themselves out.
-Reinvent themselves as a more "moderate" party.
-Finally run a moderate, business Friendly candidate like Romney (Although he did a very hard right swing and may be damaged goods), Christie or Daniels.

This works on many levels.
1. It continues to damage parts of the health care reform package. IMHO, HMOs want the mandate without the other provisions. And that's why a "moderate" might work out.
2. Burn out the social issues. Republicans can say, "We tried" without the political damage. This accomplishes the "raw meat" for the far right..and looks reasonable to independents.
3. It allows attacks on Obama by "candidates" that aren't going to run anyway. Appealing to both the far right..without hurting independent support.

I seriously hope people are paying attention.

That's a good look.

There's one main risk to that plan though: that the TPers will burn out. If this board and the political commentary elsewhere are any indication, there's a borderline-rabid passion to toss Obama out.

This is the most vocal and most motivated sect on the right, and I suspect the Republican establishment is actually fearful of them. This element of the party looks back on those 6 years of Republican control, and are reminded of why the moderates must be purged at all costs and why compromise is just another word for capitulation. So I'm not sure their burn-out is a solid conclusion yet.

The hard core people are never going way. Extremists on both ends will always be there. What matters is their access to the Media. Even small protests by the Tea Party still gets major coverage. This basically weighs heavily with people who are independent. The burn out will be there. Especially with FOX.

And this is basically guess work. I may be entirely wrong about the whole thing.

They don't..but look at what they did with the Birchers. And the Bichers didn't go away..

before my time. explain

The John Bircher society was an ultra right conservative movement. They were committed to dismantling new deal policies, "outting" communists and getting rid of the fed. They called Kennedy a communist catholic beholden to the pope. A really neat trick. Goldwater basically dismissed them entirely..
The father of the Koch brothers was a founder of the John Birch Society. The sons back the Tea Party, which is about the same thing.
The Birchers also said that Eisenhower was a Communist.

Republicans may have formulated a coherent strategy for taking the Presidency in 2012 and it might just work. Hopefully, Democrats are at least "think tanking" this..because if they are not..it's going to be a very tough slog.

Republicans are good at this as well. After the dismal presidency of GW Bush, everyone basically thought they were done. They weren't. They did a masterful job of re-inventing themselves as "Tea Party Patriots" and got a good deal of the public to forget who really was responsible for the financial mess. And they did this by both appealing to and embracing a very far right ideology. But this may have cost them And it might have been a bridge to far.

My personal opinion is either they've realized this..or that they are completely lost. I don't think it's the latter.

Generally, at this point, Republicans have firmed up who they are going to run. That hasn't happened yet. And what they may be doing is this:
-Finally run a moderate, business Friendly candidate like Romney (Although he did a very hard right swing and may be damaged goods), Christie or Daniels.

1. It continues to damage parts of the health care reform package. IMHO, HMOs want the mandate without the other provisions. And that's why a "moderate" might work out.
2. Burn out the social issues. Republicans can say, "We tried" without the political damage. This accomplishes the "raw meat" for the far right..and looks reasonable to independents.
3. It allows attacks on Obama by "candidates" that aren't going to run anyway. Appealing to both the far right..without hurting independent support.

Wow, how stupid and clueless can someone be. We seem to be plumbing the depths here.
For starters, the first primary is a year away. No Republican has announced yet. So there are no GOP candidates.
The GOP is not the Tea Party. And vice versa. Just ask the mainstream GOP candidates who lost in the primaries to TP backed ones.
The GOP was not responsible for hte financial mess. The Dums controlled Congress since 06.

The GOP only needs to focus on the incredible record of failures by the Dums since '06. We have a bad economy still, rising gas prices, out of control government agencies, 3 wars, Obamacare--the least popular program in history, and a president who is out of touch and voting "present" most of the time.

With that record, anyone with a pulse, an R next to his name, and a valid birth certificate could win.

before my time. explain

The John Bircher society was an ultra right conservative movement. They were committed to dismantling new deal policies, "outting" communists and getting rid of the fed. They called Kennedy a communist catholic beholden to the pope. A really neat trick. Goldwater basically dismissed them entirely..
The father of the Koch brothers was a founder of the John Birch Society. The sons back the Tea Party, which is about the same thing.
The Birchers also said that Eisenhower was a Communist.

Hmm..didn't know that.

Thanks.

Republicans may have formulated a coherent strategy for taking the Presidency in 2012 and it might just work. Hopefully, Democrats are at least "think tanking" this..because if they are not..it's going to be a very tough slog.

Republicans are good at this as well. After the dismal presidency of GW Bush, everyone basically thought they were done. They weren't. They did a masterful job of re-inventing themselves as "Tea Party Patriots" and got a good deal of the public to forget who really was responsible for the financial mess. And they did this by both appealing to and embracing a very far right ideology. But this may have cost them And it might have been a bridge to far.

My personal opinion is either they've realized this..or that they are completely lost. I don't think it's the latter.

Wow, how stupid and clueless can someone be. We seem to be plumbing the depths here.
For starters, the first primary is a year away. No Republican has announced yet. So there are no GOP candidates.
The GOP is not the Tea Party. And vice versa. Just ask the mainstream GOP candidates who lost in the primaries to TP backed ones.
The GOP was not responsible for hte financial mess. The Dums controlled Congress since 06.

The GOP only needs to focus on the incredible record of failures by the Dums since '06. We have a bad economy still, rising gas prices, out of control government agencies, 3 wars, Obamacare--the least popular program in history, and a president who is out of touch and voting "present" most of the time.

With that record, anyone with a pulse, an R next to his name, and a valid birth certificate could win.

Oh..it's not like they had a powerpoint presentation on exactly how they were going to win the midterms..by re-inventing the party.

Oh wait..THEY DID.

And they implemented the plan. To a "T".

It's not hard to extrapolate based on that behavior.

But good on you to evoke fantasy that has NOTHING to do with the real world.

But that's often the case with your posts. They make no sense whatsoever..and sound like rants of an imbecile.

Grats.:lol:

Republicans are good at this as well. After the dismal presidency of GW Bush, everyone basically thought they were done. They weren't. They did a masterful job of re-inventing themselves as "Tea Party Patriots" and got a good deal of the public to forget who really was responsible for the financial mess.Congress, right? And they did this by both appealing to and embracing a very far right ideology. Mostly just the economic and Constitutional stuff, nothing that important. But this may have cost them And it might have been a bridge to far. may have

Generally, at this point, Republicans have firmed up who they are going to run. pfft, you got that right That hasn't happened yet. And what they may be doing is this:
-Put up ridiculous candidates to attack President Obama on nonsense issues. The Donald
-Let the "Tea Party" types burn themselves out. more of a feeling out I think.
-Reinvent themselves as a more "moderate" party. WHY? Good god they are still just right of center!
-Finally run a moderate, business Friendly candidate like Romney (Although he did a very hard right swing and may be damaged goods), been there, done that. see how well it turned out? Christie rumor has it he's a front runner for VP or Daniels.

1. It continues to damage parts of the health care reform package. IMHO, HMOs want the mandate without the other provisions. And that's why a "moderate" might work out. the big winner in obama care were the ins companies.
2. Burn out the social issues. Republicans can say, "We tried" without the political damage. This accomplishes the "raw meat" for the far right..and looks reasonable to independents. Social issues are a waste of time and money for the next 6 years.
3. It allows attacks on Obama by "candidates" that aren't going to run anyway. Appealing to both the far right..without hurting independent support. Those sneaky devils.

I seriously hope people are paying attention. Did you say something?

This is why I nominated you for best Left winger.

Great stuff, and just enough paranoia to make it look like they are out to get you, but not enough for the tin hat.

First Republican presidential debate postponed - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

In an unusual move, the coveted first debate of the 2012 presidential primary season is being rescheduled. The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation announced that it is moving its "Reagan Centennial GOP Presidential Primary Candidates Debate" from May 2 to Sept. 14, 2011.

"Although there will be a long and impressive list of Republican candidates who eventually take the field, too few have made the commitment thus far for a debate to be worthwhile in early May," said John Heubusch, executive director for the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation. "The Reagan Foundation's first Republican presidential primary debate will move to the fall, allowing enough time for the full slate of candidates to participate," Heubusch said in a statement.

Oh..it's not like they had a powerpoint presentation on exactly how they were going to win the midterms..by re-inventing the party.

Oh wait..THEY DID.

And they implemented the plan. To a "T".

It's not hard to extrapolate based on that behavior.

But good on you to evoke fantasy that has NOTHING to do with the real world.

But that's often the case with your posts. They make no sense whatsoever..and sound like rants of an imbecile.

Grats.:lol:

Oh "They" had a power point plan. Care to say who "They" are? Of course not. You have no fucking clue what you are blabbering about.
And if "they" had a plan, how did they manage not to take the Senate, if "they" implemented it to a tee?

Even your stupidity is stupid.

I'm afraid Demagogues are going to be in style this cycle.

As opposed to?
080724_obama_speech.jpg

Forum List

Back