Republican Orin Hatch calls for MASSIVE EXPANSION of Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rdean, Jun 16, 2010.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,945
    Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, proposed yesterday that people seeking unemployment benefits or welfare undergo drug tests before they can receive benefits

Hatch suggests such a system would save money and reduce the deficit, presumably by virtue of withholding benefits from those who fail drug tests. His release does not address the costs of drug testing everyone receiving unemployment or welfare benefits or enrolling those who fail the test in treatment programs.

Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

[​IMG]

Millions and million of Americans unemployed and Orin Hatch wants to start a "massive expansion" of Federal Government to test these millions and millions of people for drugs.

We would have to set up tens of thousands of labs and staff. It could cost billions. Oh those "fiscally conservative Republicans". Always "thinking".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Lame post. I would 100% support this idea. And if there was a system that could be implemented to keep those on Food Stamps from using them to buy sugary sodas and potato chips, I would support that too.

3. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Yet another reason Hatch should lose like the Big Brother Stalinist turd he is, the next time around.

Accept the idea that federal welfare should even exist, then use it to push your authoritarian police state ends.

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,945
    More government, just what we need.

5. Gremlin-USA

Gremlin-USA <<< Me in 1970

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Drug Tests for Unemployment Compensation - NO - they were probably tested at their previous job and will be when they get a new one.

Drug Test for Welfare - Yes - Tax dollars do not need to got to people who sit on the couch eating BonBons and Doing Drugs.

:razz::razz::razz:

6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    People always have the choice of not applying for welfare benefits.

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    LOL. Couldn't pass the test?

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Wasn't Hatch the one who submitted a bill to get the constitution changed so Arnold could be president?
    You know who I mean, the Governor of CA who never was really a conservative?

9. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I don't see how Hatch's proposal would in any way (gasp!) EXPAND government. It makes sense. Drug testing would not need to be done by the government when there are private drug testing facilities from coast to coast - in part because of employer-required drug testing. It's not like these tests are $10,000 a pop.

I was in the grocery store in line behind a woman a week or so ago - she had on sun glasses but I could see her eyes well enough from the side to see they were all red and bloodshot. She bought a pack of gum with her food stamp card, requested $100 in cash and asked the clerk if she could use the card again right away. What do you think she was spending the money on? If she could draw down $100 in cash and still have room to use the card again, she had some dependents she should have been thinking about feeding rather than where she could get her next hit. A lot of food stamp/welfare money goes to drug purchases. A lot of people on welfare have live-in boyfriends or unreported husbands supporting them, some just jump from man to man and have no idea which one is the father of the child they're giving birth to ... another child = more welfare/food stamp money.

I can tell you from a legal secretary's perch and from personal observation that many of these people have "inside" help who approve their benefits even when they know it's a lie. They know how to play the system - and they do it quite well.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I think you're making stuff up, honey.