Republican Lie #57: 50% of Americans Pay No Taxes

Who is saying that 50% pay zero taxes, please provide link. Just makes shit up :eusa_liar:

Sean Hannity:

HANNITY: You know, we saw stories this week where people were saying, all right, health care, where do I sign up for my free Obama health care? We saw stories this week, 50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes. What does that mean for America if you have a voting electorate that's not paying any taxes?

Hannity falsely claimed "50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes" | Media Matters for America

Who is saying that 50% pay zero taxes, please provide link. Just makes shit up :eusa_liar:

On Fox & Friends, co-host Brian Kilmeade falsely claimed "51% of the country [aren't] paying any taxes at all."

Lou Dobbs: "just about 40 percent of all Americans -- working Americans -- don't pay taxes."

On the April 9 edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends, after co-host Gretchen Carlson stated that "yesterday we were reporting a story that 47 percent of all Americans don't pay any taxes," Fox Business host Stuart Varney stated: "Yes, 47 percent of households pay not a single dime in taxes. And some of those households actually make a profit from the Treasury."

Republicans: "HALF of Americans pay NO TAXES."

Me: "Yes they do. Look. See?"

Republicans: "We never said that."

Me: "Yes you did. Look. See?"

Republicans: "Oh, that's just spin. Don't you make shit up too?"

Me: "No."

Republicans: ....

The OP is imbecilic. With the koolaid gushing in their brains, obamabots don't ever hear what people actually say. That's >>INCOME<< taxes that 50% don't pay, not >>ALL<< state local and federal taxes, as eg sales tax, which is what the linked article is talking about.

Another stupid obamabot thread is history.

The real issue is do they pay federal taxes. I could give a damn if somebody in NY is paying a boat load of sales/property taxes. I care if they are paying taxes to the federal government or not. If you are paying taxes in the city you live in then you have a little skin in the game when it comes to how the local government spends your money. It is the same at the state and federal level. If person A lives in Los Angles and person B lives in San Francisco and person A pays state and county taxes while person B pays county taxes but is responsible for no state taxes, then person A is paying for something and person B is the beneficiary. It doesn't matter if person B is paying 30,40,50% of sales tax in his city/county... that's his damn problem because that's his local government that he put in charge. When, however, he goes screaming "I'm paying too much in taxes, person A needs to pay more taxes" that's moronic. Person A isn't benefiting from person B's taxes. That's the same thing with this argument that "50% of people don't pay taxes".

I don't care what you pay in local/state taxes, the question is... do you pay federal taxes? If you make 24k/yr ($2k/month) and you pay 15% in payroll/income/ssi/whatever that is $300/month. At the end of the year you've paid 3600. If at the end of the year you have a wife and a child you're looking at zero tax liability (getting your 3600 back) plus your EIC which is in the neighborhood of 3K plus your making work pay credit $800 plus your child tax credit ($1k) you are looking at getting back 3600 + 3000 + 800 + 1000 or $8400 back. At the end of the year you're getting back almost $5000 that you didn't pay into the system. You need to buy a lot of gas/electricity to tell me that you paid more into the federal government than you got out of it.

Who cares if you paid $6000 in local, city and state taxes... you can't tell me that you need a federal tax break or more rebates, you need to take care of your own local election and stop demanding that I go further into a tax liability to pay for your existence.

Furthermore, I don't care if its 4%, 14% or 40%, its too damn high. Unless you are disabled you should pay taxes.

Mike

$400 paid in taxes...
$2,400 back in 'rebates'...
Net gain of $2,000...

Hmmmm... that must be the 'new tax math' version of 'paying taxes'. I bet a liberal came up with that one.

--Conservative
You know very well that my comments refer to income taxes, you disingenuous dim whit. Do we have to spell it out for you? Are you too stupid to be able to understand an example when it's presented to you? If someone is talking about taxes, and rebates in the same sentences, chances are they are talking about income taxes. You know, April 15th and all that?

The OP is imbecilic. With the koolaid gushing in their brains, obamabots don't ever hear what people actually say. That's >>INCOME<< taxes that 50% don't pay, not >>ALL<< state local and federal taxes, as eg sales tax, which is what the linked article is talking about.

Another stupid obamabot thread is history.

Look at posts number 8, 17, 21, and 22.

I don't care what you pay in local/state taxes, the question is... do you pay federal taxes? If you make 24k/yr ($2k/month) and you pay 15% in payroll/income/ssi/whatever that is $300/month. At the end of the year you've paid 3600. If at the end of the year you have a wife and a child you're looking at zero tax liability (getting your 3600 back) plus your EIC which is in the neighborhood of 3K plus your making work pay credit $800 plus your child tax credit ($1k) you are looking at getting back 3600 + 3000 + 800 + 1000 or $8400 back. At the end of the year you're getting back almost $5000 that you didn't pay into the system. You need to buy a lot of gas/electricity to tell me that you paid more into the federal government than you got out of it.

Link?

$400 paid in taxes...
Net gain of $2,000...

Hmmmm... that must be the 'new tax math' version of 'paying taxes'. I bet a liberal came up with that one.

--Conservative
You know very well that my comments refer to income taxes, you disingenuous dim whit. Do we have to spell it out for you? Are you too stupid to be able to understand an example when it's presented to you? If someone is talking about taxes, and rebates in the same sentences, chances are they are talking about income taxes. You know, April 15th and all that?

Posts #8, 17, 21, & 22.

Actually, before you claim to debunk it, you should understand exactly what is said. The claim is that 50% of Americans to not pay income taxes.

Do you honestly think not understanding the original comment would prevent them from posting in opposition to it?

Posts #8, 17, 21, & 22.

Sun, allow me to ask you a question please. Is it acceptable if 20% of the country doesn't pay taxes? 25%? What is the threshold for people who don't pay taxes that is acceptable to you?

Mike

$400 paid in taxes...
Net gain of $2,000...

--Conservative

Posts #8, 17, 21, & 22.

I dont give two shits what they said. I'm telling you what I said. Moron.

LOL :lol:...Citizens for Tax Justice really had to massage the data to come up with that mess.

Look at the pretzels they contort to make that math work.

Nice try.

Do you honestly think not understanding the original comment would prevent them from posting in opposition to it?

Posts #8, 17, 21, & 22.

Sun, allow me to ask you a question please. Is it acceptable if 20% of the country doesn't pay taxes? 25%? What is the threshold for people who don't pay taxes that is acceptable to you?

Mike

You're not going to provide a link, are you?

Whatever.

The poorest people in the country should pay no taxes. 0%.

According to Wikipedia, "According to the U.S. Census Bureau, approximately 43.6 million (14.3%) Americans were living in absolute poverty in 2009."

Therefore, my answer is 14.3%.

Posts #8, 17, 21, & 22.

I dont give two shits what they said. I'm telling you what I said. Moron.

The point here is that Republicans - repeatedly, over and over again - claim that half of Americans pay no taxes. That's false. Some of them are saying it because they know no better, others are intentionally lying.

If you want to say that you didn't mean that half of Americans don't pay taxes, and you agree that even the poorest Americans pay taxes, I'm ok with that.

Welcome to my side.

Posts #8, 17, 21, & 22.

Mike

Whatever.

According to Wikipedia, "According to the U.S. Census Bureau, approximately 43.6 million (14.3%) Americans were living in absolute poverty in 2009."

Why would I provide a link? I asked a question.

Mike

cy2003.Par.0008.ImageFile.gif

Mike

Whatever.

Why would I provide a link? I asked a question.

Mike

I asked you a question in post #30. I answered your question. Will you answer mine?

Forum List

Back