Republican health care reform Congress should pass

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
In 1993, at the height of President Bill Clinton's health care reform initiative, Sen. John Chafee, R-R.I., along with 19 other Republicans and two Democrats, put forth a bill which was considered the major GOP proposal. One of the co-sponsors was then-Sen. Dave Durenberger, R-Minn. The bill, just like the Democratic version, never passed. But in a sense, it's been revived this year.

In fact, the key provisions in the Chafee bill may seem familiar, as they bear a strong resemblance to those in the current Democratic Senate bill, and now in President Barack Obama's proposal.

1) A mandate that individuals buy insurance
2) Subsidies for the poor to buy insurance
3) Requirement that insurers offer a standard benefits package
4) Refrain from discriminating based on pre-existing conditions

Durenberger says the reason many of these ideas have been shunned by today's Republicans, even called unconstitutional by some, is that political times have changed. “The main thing that’s changed is the definition of a Republican,” he said.

The Democrats' 2010 Health Reform Plan Evokes 1993 Republican Bill - Kaiser Health News

It's a good thing it didn't pass in 1993. That failure should be applied to ObamaCare.

A better plan would include:

- Tort reform
- Removing the barriers to interstate competition
- Reform of the tax code to decouple health insurance from employment and allow for much larger HSAs, in order to make the consumer responsible for payment.

Responsible use of health care resources is impossible without individually accountable consumers.

It's a good thing it didn't pass in 1993. That failure should be applied to ObamaCare.

A better plan would include:

- Tort reform
- Removing the barriers to interstate competition
- Reform of the tax code to decouple health insurance from employment and allow for much larger HSAs, in order to make the consumer responsible for payment.

Responsible use of health care resources is impossible without individually accountable consumers.

That is biggest component of the runaway costs. If there was no concern given to cost, Walmart would not exist. Because cost is a consideration in every purchase except healthcare, competition keeps most costs in line while healthcare costs soar beyond any relation to any other index of costs.

Indeed. Government now accounts for 60% of health care expenditures. As this ratio has increased, the cost problem has worsened. Increasing it further falls into Einstein's definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result).

President Obama campaigned on Health Reform. President Obama has never waivered on this issue. What those of us who voted Democratic in the last election want is for Democratic Representatives and Senators to stand 100% united behind the President and support and pass health care reform with or without republican support.

Use RECONCILIATION if necessary, as it is within your right to do so. The majority of Americans voted for President Obama and gave Democrats the majority. Do not squander this opportunity. Pass the agenda you ran on and quit worrying about the republicans. The President and democrats gave the republicans a chance to participate, but they refused, unless it was their way. Democrats now need to move on without republican support and do what is right for America.

The winning party of an election gets to set the agenda. Democrats won the election! Stand united and pass health care reform before it's too late.

The republicans only want to be obstructionists. And will say or do anything to block President Obama and democrats from passing any significant legislation.

Pass health care reform as soon as possible and get that issue behind us. Then immediately turn the focus to jobs. If democrats can do those two things then their chances of re-election in November increases substantially.

If democrats do not pass health care reform the republicans are going to use it to portray democrats as bumbling buffoons, who with a majority, could get nothing done.

Democrats will project a strong image if they pass health care reform over republican objections. We do not need, or want any more stalling and diversionary tactics by republicans. We want democrats to end this nonsense by republicans and pass the health care reform bill for the benefit of all.

Democrats will gain far more respect by sticking together and showing they have unity to pass health care reform rather than letting republicans win again through lies, intimidation and fear tactics.

Durenberger says the reason many of these ideas have been shunned by today's Republicans, even called unconstitutional by some, is that political times have changed. “The main thing that’s changed is the definition of a Republican,” he said.
Yeah, and Dip Durenburger was one of the schmucks who helped to change what "Republican" meant. :lol:

The winning party of an election gets to set the agenda. Democrats won the election! Stand united and pass health care reform before it's too late.

You clearly don't understand the limits on government power embodied in The Consitution, nor how it was designed to protect minority rights.

Obama one 52% of the popular vote - this doesn't make him an omnipotent king. Reconciliation under the current circumstances is an abuse of power.

President Obama campaigned on Health Reform. President Obama has never waivered on this issue. What those of us who voted Democratic in the last election want is for Democratic Representatives and Senators to stand 100% united behind the President and support and pass health care reform with or without republican support.

Use RECONCILIATION if necessary, as it is within your right to do so. The majority of Americans voted for President Obama and gave Democrats the majority. Do not squander this opportunity. Pass the agenda you ran on and quit worrying about the republicans. The President and democrats gave the republicans a chance to participate, but they refused, unless it was their way. Democrats now need to move on without republican support and do what is right for America.

The republicans only want to be obstructionists. And will say or do anything to block President Obama and democrats from passing any significant legislation.

Pass health care reform as soon as possible and get that issue behind us. Then immediately turn the focus to jobs. If democrats can do those two things then their chances of re-election in November increases substantially.

If democrats do not pass health care reform the republicans are going to use it to portray democrats as bumbling buffoons, who with a majority, could get nothing done.

Democrats will project a strong image if they pass health care reform over republican objections. We do not need, or want any more stalling and diversionary tactics by republicans. We want democrats to end this nonsense by republicans and pass the health care reform bill for the benefit of all.

Democrats will gain far more respect by sticking together and showing they have unity to pass health care reform rather than letting republicans win again through lies, intimidation and fear tactics.

Got the talking point e-mail blast from the White House, didja? :lol::lol::lol:

Obama one 52% of the popular vote - this doesn't make him an omnipotent king. Reconciliation under the current circumstances is an abuse of power.

52% is the majority by my math. Doesn't make Obama king, but it does make him President and gave the Democrats control of the House and Senate. So democrats set the agenda, just as the republicans did when they were the majority.

Reconciliation is a perfectly legitimate method to use. And has been used by both parties in the past.

52% is the majority by my math. Doesn't make Obama king, but it does make him President and gave the Democrats control of the House and Senate. So democrats set the agenda, just as the republicans did when they were the majority.

Reconciliation is a perfectly legitimate method to use. And has been used by both parties in the past.

You clearly don't understand what Reconciliation is. It was designed to handle "reconciling" budgets. Even Robert Byrd has spoken out against using it in this instance.

A majority doesn't mean having the right to trash The Constiution, btw.

LOl, team1 must think we live in Venezuela.

because the Obama won, he can just pass any damn thing he wishes on the American people. Hugo Chavez anyone.

The Democrats HAD a majority for the last the YEAR and THEY still couldn't pass their health care takeover. why is that you think?

so now because they couldn't pass it and lost their majority, they want to use Reconciliation.

I say let them commit suicide with reconciliation, then we can say goodbye to them hopefully for EVER, starting in November.

Last edited:
In 1993, at the height of President Bill Clinton's health care reform initiative, Sen. John Chafee, R-R.I., along with 19 other Republicans and two Democrats, put forth a bill which was considered the major GOP proposal. One of the co-sponsors was then-Sen. Dave Durenberger, R-Minn. The bill, just like the Democratic version, never passed. But in a sense, it's been revived this year.

In fact, the key provisions in the Chafee bill may seem familiar, as they bear a strong resemblance to those in the current Democratic Senate bill, and now in President Barack Obama's proposal.

The Democrats' 2010 Health Reform Plan Evokes 1993 Republican Bill - Kaiser Health News

Yeah and? the AMERICAN PEOPLE told them no way then as they are now.

LOl, team1 must think we live in Venezuela.

because the Obama won, he can just pass any damn thing he wishes on the American people. Hugo Chavez anyone.

The Democrats HAD a majority for the last the YEAR and THEY still couldn't pass their health care takeover. why is that you think?

so now because they couldn't pass it and lost their majority, they want to use Reconciliation.

I say let them commit suicide with reconciliation, then we can say goodbye to them hopefully for EVER, starting in November.

The PEOPLE is what stopped them. That is a fact. The Republicans can't stop diddly squat except alerting their constituents of the plans of these devious, disingenuous Progressives and the continuation of their plans that have been in play since the days of Woody Wilson.

Perhaps too? What we are witnessing is the progressives telling the people 'Fuck you too' we're gonna do it regardless...

Oh wait! Pelosi has already DONE THIS...

Rock, Meet Hard Place

• Pelosi: Pass Health Bill, Even If It Means Your Job
• Pelosi Calls Tea Partiers 'Astroturf'

Go ahead Ms. Speaker? 'DIS' the people some more? PLEASE?

Your quote is typical of the falsehoods, distortions and misrepresentations I referenced in my original post.

Of course you should know that President Obama can't just pass anything he wants to. But the Democratic controlled house and senate can. That's how America works....

BTW, quit the fear-mongering.

Your quote is typical of the falsehoods, distortions and misrepresentations I referenced in my original post.

Of course you should know that President Obama can't just pass anything he wants to. But the Democratic controlled house and senate can. That's how America works....

LOL, should I thank you now for the educmation or what.

Fear-mongering. the new code word from the left for just sit down and shut up and let the Progressives and the Obama just RUN all over you.:rofl:

Last edited:

LOL, should I thank you now for the educmation or what.

Fear-mongering. the new code word from the left for just sit down and shut up and let the Progressives and the Obama just RUN all over you.:rofl:

Not to mention all the "horror stories" we were treated to on Thursday during the Ill-fated summit? It's a freaking hoot. The real fear mongers try to project it upon those of us that ain't buyin' their brand of Bull Cookies...

It's laughable at best. Team1? Educate yourself. Bad way to come in noob...totally uneducated, and prove yourself to BE an idiot off the bat.

Firstly, fuck off telling other people to quit doing anything.

Secondly, the Dems have had a super majority for over a year. Why no fucking health care bill?

I heard this awhile back. It makes it even more hilarious when you hear the nuts on the right complaining that NOW the GOP isn't conservative enough for them.

Secondly, the Dems have had a super majority for over a year. Why no fucking health care bill?

The Democrats never had any such supermajority.

The Democrats never had any such supermajority.

Do you ever get tired of posting bullshit?

Forum List

Back