Republican governors' plans for no state income tax lauded, criticized

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Several Republican governors are proposing an end to their state income taxes in exchange for closing loopholes including mortgage deductions -- plans to make their states more competitive in the U.S. economy but already being criticized by Democrats.

Gov. Dave Heineman, Nebraska, and Bobby Jindal, Louisiana, earlier this week proposed eliminating the tax on residents and corporations.

Meanwhile, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback proposed lower taxes for all residents in exchange for eliminating the tax deduction for interest paid on home mortgages.

Brownback’s mortgage-interest proposal is to help close a budget shortfall and was rejected last year by the state’s General Assembly.

He has been working for at least a year toward ending state income taxes and announced his plan Tuesday as part of his balanced budget proposal for fiscal 2014 and 2015.

Alaska, Texas, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming have no individual income taxes. Nevada, South Dakota and Wyoming have no corporate income taxes, according to the nonprofit Tax Foundation.

Brownback wants to drop the tax rate for the lowest earners from 3 percent to 2.5 percent, then to 1.9 percent in fiscal 2016. The top rate would go from 4.9 percent to 3.5 percent by 2017.

“Part of the governor’s proposal includes taking the next step on the state’s path to no state income tax,” the governor’s office said.

His proposals, including other real estate deductions, provide an additional $541 million in revenues for the fiscal year beginning July 1.

Brownback’s office also vowed the “glide path to zero” would not increase the sales tax nor include cuts to schools, higher education and essential safety-net programs.

However, Democrats and others have already criticized the proposal.

Read more: Republican governors' plans for no state income tax lauded, criticized | Fox News

it's none of the demon craps business what Republican Govenors do in their states. It's in Florida's constitution that there will never be a state income tax. It's so very loverly.

Siphoning out the most productive individuals still left residing in California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, leaving those states and their finances in the tender care and province of the Obama Phone Lady, the "I'm here to get me some Obamabucks" Guy, the "He's going to pay for my groceries" Gal, and of course, who can forget Sandra Fluck?

Of course, California is loath to relinquish your tax revenue, the state is known to consider you still a resident for as long as 18 months after your departure from its environs. Its those clouds of marijuana smoke emanating from the Governors manse in Sacramento that enhance their judgement. A faithful and loyal taxpayer is a precious commodity to the Guv.

Last edited:
Siphoning out the most productive individuals still left residing in California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, leaving those states and their finances in the tender care and province of the Obama Phone Lady, the "I'm here to get me some Obamabucks" Guy, the "He's going to pay for my groceries" Gal, and of course, who can forget Sandra Fluck?

I just love Sandra Fluck. The 175,000 dollar a year too broke to pay for my pills whore. Now you stop picking on her ya hear?

I just love Sandra Fluck. The 175,000 dollar a year too broke to pay for my pills whore. Now you stop picking on her ya hear?

She just happens to fit as the Liberal pinata of the day, so solly. She, by her own volition in order to help Obama, willingly put herself in the position of the naked whore dropped into the prison exercise yard. If guys like me choose the opportunity to make merry of her actions, so be it.
"All's fair in love and war" and this is war, a war that Obama himself declared. We can take no prisoners, if the battlefield resembles a scene from the "Epic Of Gilgamesh" afterwards..........or the streets of Singapore after Yamashita's troops were finished with the Brits.......

Forum List

Back