Republican governance and the economy

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"There is, it seems to me, an area in the political discussion which has been woefully ignored for much, much too long. Historical fact: Prior to the rise of the radical right some 30 years ago, America was the most innovative, most prosperous, most vital nation on the face of the Earth. And it wasn't just an obscenely rich fraction of one percent skewing the numbers, either. Broad-based, bottom-up prosperity--in which liberal Democratic administrations specialize--really DID lift all boats. Lean in close and let me whisper to you an uncomfortable truth that the GOP will never dare mention...

They are the rapscallions and knaves who took a hearty, robust economy that was the envy of the entire world and ran it into the ground. I'm not merely talking about the current fiscal catastrophe that is looming before us; my esteemed colleague Gegner is doing an outstanding job of documenting those atrocities and I recommend his essays on this site to you without reservation. No, I'm concerning myself here more with how we got this way, how the cheap-labor conservatives conspired, deliberately and with malice aforethought, to lay us low...for that is precisely what they did.

Did you know that ALL recessions since the 1930's, save one, have taken place under Republican presidents? True fact. The single exception occurred at the conclusion of World War II during the administration of Harry S. Truman and it was a predictable consequence of ending a war...plus it was the shortest as well as the shallowest. Contrast that with the fact that we are now enduring our SECOND recession due to the gross mismanagement of that congenital idiot currently stinking up the White House and his band of thugs."

http://www.conceptualguerilla.com/?q=node/1643

Did you know that the HUGE deficits that accrued before 1996 all occurred under complete Democratic control of Congress? You know the body responsible for the budget?

Wanna play that game, we can too. Hoover was not responsible for the Wall Street crash, but go ahead and blame him anyway. As if a president that JUST took office had anything to do with years of land speculation and foolish stock investments. Ohh wait, you mean Congress is responsible for regulating the laws on land purchases and sales? That Congress is responsible for regulating Banks and interstate Trade?

No no, it is the President that does that.

You really wanna play this game? I can come up with some " facts" that are just as relevant as your's.

That's untrue...the debt was accrued mostly by Regan, Bush and Bush. Do try to get it right.

National-Debt-GDP.gif

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

That's untrue...the debt was accrued mostly by Regan, Bush and Bush. Do try to get it right.

National-Debt-GDP.gif

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

Again, who controlled congress the entire time Reagan ( please spell his name right) was in Office, as well as Bush the first?

We can play this all again. Not one single Budget proposed by Reagan was ever approved. The Democrats increased every budget well beyond what Reagan ask for.

The Democrats announced that if Reagan was going to increase spending on the military then they would bury him in increased spending on every thing else.

Nice try though, got anymore irrelevant information?

You are aware that the dip under Clinton was again because of Congress? In this case a REPUBLICAN Congress? Do keep up dear.

So you acknowledge what you said was a lie? Good.

And as I don't think you're a mindreader and you weren't privvy, I expect that you don't know what went on with getting the budget under control.

In either event, you lied. So I think you're being consistent.

So you acknowledge what you said was a lie? Good.

And as I don't think you're a mindreader and you weren't privvy, I expect that you don't know what went on with getting the budget under control.

In either event, you lied. So I think you're being consistent.

Are you mentally incompetent? Have a reading disorder? Perhaps you are just to dumb to grasp simple facts?

I said CONGRESS is responsible for the Budget. Congress is responsible for the HUGE deficits, and that Congress until 1994 was Democrat controlled. That Congress created the huge deficit under Reagan and Bush, a Democratic series of Congresses. Shall I go quote myself so that your PEA brain can grasp a simple concept?

Here we go, just for poor ignorant Jillian, unable to grasp simple words and concepts.

Did you know that the HUGE deficits that accrued before 1996 all occurred under complete Democratic control of Congress? You know the body responsible for the budget?

Then I said

You are aware that the dip under Clinton was again because of Congress? In this case a REPUBLICAN Congress? Do keep up dear.

Do I need to hire someone to explain in little words to you the concepts?

I suggest you go BACK to college and sue to have your money returned for failure to instruct you in basic reading comprehension skills.

The same Democrat Majority in congress that were there under a Democratic President's budget managed to not grow the debt astronomically, yet while under a Republican President's budget... they failed.

Hey, even the Republican Majority with a Republican President FAILED BIG TIME, to keep the budget in line....

Budget explosion commonality: Republican Presidents and Administrations

:D

That's just fact!!!

But honestly, to me we have to look forward and whoever becomes the President, they are definately gonna have their hands full with the financial and economic mess that we are in....

The Congress can count on REDUCED revenues during a recession, making it even more difficult to budget.

care

Are you mentally incompetent? Have a reading disorder? Perhaps you are just to dumb to grasp simple facts?

I said CONGRESS is responsible for the Budget. Congress is responsible for the HUGE deficits, and that Congress until 1994 was Democrat controlled. That Congress created the huge deficit under Reagan and Bush, a Democratic series of Congresses. Shall I go quote myself so that your PEA brain can grasp a simple concept?

Here we go, just for poor ignorant Jillian, unable to grasp simple words and concepts.

Then I said

Do I need to hire someone to explain in little words to you the concepts?

I suggest you go BACK to college and sue to have your money returned for failure to instruct you in basic reading comprehension skills.

I'd suggest reading Care's post above mine.

The DEFICIT GREW ASTRONOMICALLY UNDER REAGAN, BUSH AND BUSH.

Again, who controlled congress the entire time Reagan ( please spell his name right) was in Office, as well as Bush the first?

We can play this all again. Not one single Budget proposed by Reagan was ever approved. The Democrats increased every budget well beyond what Reagan ask for.

The Democrats announced that if Reagan was going to increase spending on the military then they would bury him in increased spending on every thing else.

Nice try though, got anymore irrelevant information?

WHAT a CROCK of poopie!!! lol

Reagan vetoed anything he didn't want....and he read every budget bill passed, insisted on him being given time to analyze everything....

Nice try though... :clap2:

care

I actually like Reagan because unlike Bush he thought about his mistakes and had the highest peacetime tax increase in history. That the reconsideration of his budget policies is never mentioned is proof msm is conservative, and myth is the only guide for republicans.

"He knows less about the budget than any president in my lifetime. He can't even carry on a conversation about the budget. It's an absolute and utter disgrace."
--House Speaker Tip O'Neill, after a meeting with Reagan, November 23, 1981

"However, Reagan soon discovered that his supply-side advisors were wrong. Tax cuts, instead of reducing the deficit, had increased the deficit, drastically. After 1981, Reagan made no more rosy predictions regarding the deficit."

http://www.geocities.com/thereaganyears/economicpolicy.htm

"[A] drastic reduction in the deficit...will take place in the fiscal year '82."
--President Reagan, news conference, quoted in The New York Times, March 6, 1981. (In fiscal 1982, the first full year of Reagan's presidency, the government ran up a record budget deficit of $128 billion.)

"There is, it seems to me, an area in the political discussion which has been woefully ignored for much, much too long. Historical fact: Prior to the rise of the radical right some 30 years ago, America was the most innovative, most prosperous, most vital nation on the face of the Earth. And it wasn't just an obscenely rich fraction of one percent skewing the numbers, either. Broad-based, bottom-up prosperity--in which liberal Democratic administrations specialize--really DID lift all boats. Lean in close and let me whisper to you an uncomfortable truth that the GOP will never dare mention...

They are the rapscallions and knaves who took a hearty, robust economy that was the envy of the entire world and ran it into the ground. I'm not merely talking about the current fiscal catastrophe that is looming before us; my esteemed colleague Gegner is doing an outstanding job of documenting those atrocities and I recommend his essays on this site to you without reservation. No, I'm concerning myself here more with how we got this way, how the cheap-labor conservatives conspired, deliberately and with malice aforethought, to lay us low...for that is precisely what they did.

Did you know that ALL recessions since the 1930's, save one, have taken place under Republican presidents? True fact. The single exception occurred at the conclusion of World War II during the administration of Harry S. Truman and it was a predictable consequence of ending a war...plus it was the shortest as well as the shallowest. Contrast that with the fact that we are now enduring our SECOND recession due to the gross mismanagement of that congenital idiot currently stinking up the White House and his band of thugs."

http://www.conceptualguerilla.com/?q=node/1643

Wow, where to start on this load of crap!!?!?!?!?

Since the rise of the radical right 30 years ago? Last I had checked, thirty years ago would be 1978. Right in the middle of Jimmy Carter's four years with the high gas prices and low wages that came with him. Jimmy's not exactly a right winger, now is he?

So much for your historical fact upon which you based your entire post. Businesses grow when they are allowed the freedom to grow. When liberals come in with their environmental regulations and high business taxes, businesses stagnant or move elsewhere. This effects the economy, but can take months or years to show. Too bad all of those liberal colleges don't teach any economics other then Marxism.

BTW,

nice, non-biased source you used there.........:rolleyes:

I especially like the section entitled, "Defeat the Right." Let's you know right away that there's no political agenda behind anything on that site.

I am greatly disappointed with the fiscal recklessness of the GOP. Whatever you might say about the Congress in the 1980s, Reagan proposed tax cuts and not concurrent spending cuts, and sold the idea of voodoo economics that tax cuts would pay for themselves, which lead to America being the greatest debtor nation in the world.

Fast forward to the past seven years and the fiscal recklessness of the GOP is complete, given that they controlled every branch of government from 2002-2006 and passed policies that have exacerbated the structural fiscal imbalance of this country. The budget deficit for this year will be $400-$500 billion with the counter-cyclical programs kicking due to the slowing economy. And this deficit has nothing to do with the current Congress since no major programs and no major tax cuts have passed over the past 15 months.

There was a time when the Republican Party was the party of fiscal stewardship. No more. Now its the party of tax cuts only, consequences be damned.

America is now the hottest economy on planet earth, there's no one even close, thanks to Republican governance

Forum List

Back