Republican earmarks

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Republican earmarks
in the 2009 Senate Omnibus Spending Bill

Sadly the number being thrown around for total number of earmarks attached to the 2009 Omnibus Senate Spending Bill is tabulated at around 4,000. While conservatives are preaching the cause of fiscal discipline, elected Republican’s are doing everything they can to make themselves as pork loving as their Democrat counterparts. Luckily Taxpayers for Common Sense has compiled these earmarks into a spreadsheet. I decided to look through this information and try to boil it down and point out the worst offenders.
I will do my best in further posts to give you some examples of just what these Senators are requesting.
A few facts:
Of the top ten Senators requesting the highest amount of $ in solo earmarks 6 are Republicans.
They are:
#2 Shelby – 64 individual earmarks total $114,484,250
#3 Bond – 54 individual earmarks total $95,691,491
#5 Cochran – 65 individual earmarks total $75,908,475
#6 Murkowski – 71 individual earmarks total $74,000,750
#8 Inhofe – 34 individual earmarks total $53,133,500
#9 McConnell – 36 individual earmarks total $51,133,500

Of the top ten Senators requesting highest # of solo earmarks 5 of them are
Republicans, four of whom top the list:
#1 Specter – 134 individual earmarks = $25,320,000
#2 Murkowski – 71 individual earmarks = $74,000,750
#3 Chochran – 65 individual earmarks = $75,908,475
#4 Shelby – 64 individual earmarks = $114,484,250
#8 Bond – 54 individual earmarks = $85,691,491

2009 | Roaring Republican ... ding-bill/

Stimulus Earmarks
Republican earmarks waste list

$2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
$650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.
$88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaking ship.
$448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
$248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.
$600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.
$400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD’s.
$1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
$125 million for the Washington sewer system.
$150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
$1 billion for the 2010 Census, which already has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
$75 million for “smoking cessation activities.”
$200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.
$75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.
$25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
$500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.
$10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.
$6 billion to turn federal buildings into “green” buildings.
$500 million for state and local fire stations.
$650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.
$1.2 billion for “youth activities,” including youth summer job programs.
$88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.
$412 million for CDC buildings and property.
$500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
$160 million for “paid volunteers” at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
$5.5 million for “energy efficiency initiatives” at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
$850 million for Amtrak.
$100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.
$75 million to construct a “security training” facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
$110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.
$200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
And that’s the latest news on the Republican list of stimulus earmarks.
Stimulus Earmarks

Republican Hypocrites

November 5, 2009
by John Stossel

GOP gasbags love to lecture Democrats about earmarks.
Politico points out that last November House Republican leaders John Boehner and Eric Cantor formed a committee on earmark reform to bring “meaningful change to the process by which Washington spends taxpayers’ hard-earned money.”How much change did we get?

Read more:
2012 Hype John Stossel ... ypocrites/

Yup, liars, all of them. This was Boehner's facebook post yesterday.....

Next week, House Republicans - including newly elected lawmakers - will vote on a measure to ban earmarks at the start of the 112th Congress. Earmarks have become a symbol of a broken Congress & of Washington's culture of out-of-control spending. In our Pledge to America, we promised to cut spending & change the way Congress spends America's tax dollars -- shutting down the earmark process is a good first step.

http://www.facebook.com/johnboehner

Hey genius! Jobs? Illegal immigration? No one cares more about earmarks than these other issues....get to WORK!

Last edited:
I continue to think that earmarks in and of themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing.

They are a legislative tool that can have good or bad effect depending on the earmark itself.

I continue to think that earmarks in and of themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing.

They are a legislative tool that can have good or bad effect depending on the earmark itself.

I dun have a strong opinion one way or another. They've been used well and abused, and not every federal expenditure can affect the whole nation equally. I suppose this means Boehner won't be bringing home any federal dollars for Ohio.

O joy.

I dun have a strong opinion one way or another. They've been used well and abused, and not every federal expenditure can affect the whole nation equally. I suppose this means Boehner won't be bringing home any federal dollars for Ohio.

O joy.

I would rather see saved money go to Social Security and Social Security put into a secured account once again.

O joy.

I would rather see saved money go to Social Security and Social Security put into a secured account once again.

"Once again"? There has always been a Social Security Trust Fund, Conspiracist, and there still is. I dun know about you but I'd like Boehner to be bringing Ohio some j-o-b-s and fast.

O joy.

"Once again"? There has always been a Social Security Trust Fund, Conspiracist, and there still is. I dun know about you but I'd like Boehner to be bringing Ohio some j-o-b-s and fast.

The money has been used for other funding besides S.S. While it had a surplus in 1983, Congress used that money to disguise debt in other areas. Social Security was working well but politicians saw more money to get their hands on and fucked it up. We need to take those with disabilities outta the kettle as well.

Not to defend congress critters in any way...but the "no earmarks" bill will not save one dime.
Anyone who believes that cutting earmarks will save money doesn't understand the process, in fact cutting earmarks may increase spending.

The spending will still happen, just not as an earmark.

Not to defend congress critters in any way...but the "no earmarks" bill will not save one dime.
Anyone who believes that cutting earmarks will save money doesn't understand the process, in fact cutting earmarks may increase spending.

I realize earmarks are taken from federal funds... such as the federal transportation fund will be targeted by an earmark of a Minnesota congressman that feels a bridge in his district is in dire need of repair. He will attach it to a bill in return of a yes vote to something the president wants to pass. It is pork spending.

I would rather see zero riders on any bill for any pet project. If a congresscritter wants funds for something then let them write it up and submit it and let it stand on it's own merit.

I would rather see zero riders on any bill for any pet project. If a congresscritter wants funds for something then let them write it up and submit it and let it stand on it's own merit.

Never happen.
Not in a country the size of ours, simply not feasible that every spending venture can be a bill that is voted on.
Unless......wait for it....the Federal Government is reduced to what it should be in the first place. Whole other issue seemingly, but not at all. We have allowed the Fed Gov't to get this big.

Which by the way - is why the Democrats are against this. They know that with all this spending - earmarks are the quickest and easiest wat to spend our money and grow government in the process.

Last edited:

Next week, House Republicans - including newly elected lawmakers - will vote on a measure to ban earmarks at the start of the 112th Congress. Earmarks have become a symbol of a broken Congress & of Washington's culture of out-of-control spending. In our Pledge to America, we promised to cut spending & change the way Congress spends America's tax dollars -- shutting down the earmark process is a good first step.

John Boehner | Facebook

Hey genius! Jobs? Illegal immigration? No one cares more about earmarks than these other issues....get to WORK!

lol

Only one small problem with your demand.....

They aren't sworn in yet.

Never happen.
Not in a country the size of ours, simply not feasible that every spending venture can be a bill that is voted on.
Unless......wait for it....the Federal Government is reduced to what it should be in the first place. Whole other issue seemingly, but not at all. We have allowed the Fed Gov't to get this big.

Which by the way - is why the Democrats are against this. They know that with all this spending - earmarks are the quickest and easiest wat to spend our money and grow government in the process.

Cutting Government is a priority. It has to be. We're broke. Sure it may not happen in the Lame Duck session of Congress...but I would be willing to bet that we will see it surface after the newbies are sworn in. I think the people will demand such measures.

The money has been used for other funding besides S.S. While it had a surplus in 1983, Congress used that money to disguise debt in other areas. Social Security was working well but politicians saw more money to get their hands on and fucked it up. We need to take those with disabilities outta the kettle as well.

I'd be good with dropping children from Social Security Supplemental Income, for starters.

John Boehner | Facebook

lol

Only one small problem with your demand.....

They aren't sworn in yet.

So what is the PLAN, tinydancer?

Republican earmarks

Sadly the number being thrown around for total number of earmarks attached to the 2009 Omnibus Senate Spending Bill is tabulated at around 4,000. While conservatives are preaching the cause of fiscal discipline, elected Republican’s are doing everything they can to make themselves as pork loving as their Democrat counterparts. Luckily Taxpayers for Common Sense has compiled these earmarks into a spreadsheet. I decided to look through this information and try to boil it down and point out the worst offenders.
I will do my best in further posts to give you some examples of just what these Senators are requesting.
A few facts:
Of the top ten Senators requesting the highest amount of $ in solo earmarks 6 are Republicans.
They are:

Stimulus Earmarks

$2 billion earmark to re-start , a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
$448 million for constructing the Department of *Security headquarters.
$600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees. * I thought Dems loved green
$400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD’s. * liberals consider Health care as an earmark?
$125 million for the Washington sewer system.* The capitol of America needs sewers and thats an earmark?

$150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities

* oh just come on that this is an earmark

$1 billion for the 2010 Census, which already has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
$500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
$160 million for “paid volunteers” at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
$5.5 million for “energy efficiency initiatives” at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
$850 million for Amtrak.
$75 million to construct a “security training” facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
$200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
Stimulus Earmarks

Republican Hypocrites

November 5, 2009
by John Stossel

Politico points out that last November House Republican leaders John Boehner and Eric Cantor formed a committee on earmark reform to bring “meaningful change to the process by which Washington spends taxpayers’ hard-earned money.”How much change did we get?

Read more:

I'm not even going to bother to continue to highlight this stupid list.

You actually have $75 million for FBI salaries as an earmark. And the funding of Amtrak as an earmark.

Bullshit. Typical lib bullshit.

Republican earmarks
A few facts:
They are:

Stimulus Earmarks
$2 billion earmark to re-start , a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
$600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees. * I thought Dems loved green
$400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD’s. * liberals consider Health care as an earmark?
$125 million for the Washington sewer system.* The capitol of America needs sewers and thats an earmark?

$850 million for Amtrak.
Stimulus Earmarks

Republican Hypocrites
November 5, 2009
by John Stossel

Read more:

You actually have $75 million for FBI salaries as an earmark. And the funding of Amtrak as an earmark.

I don't doubt that earmarking is often the technique that is abused by both parties.

But it's the abuse, rather than the process, which I find vexing.

Republican earmarks
A few facts:
They are:

Stimulus Earmarks

$850 million for Amtrak.
Stimulus Earmarks

Republican Hypocrites
November 5, 2009
by John Stossel

Read more:

I don't doubt that earmarking is often the technique that is abused by both parties.

But it's the abuse, rather than the process, which I find vexing.

Agreed on the abuse. Agreed both parties have abused the system.

But what pisses me off is that you can't have a serious or honest discussion these days to move forward to deal with issues.

Instead you get a list like the OP who is hell bent on staying in the schoolyard going "neener neener <fill in the blank for R or D> does it too."

But that's a padded list. Flood reduction and improving the Health Facilities in Bethesada aren't earmarks.

Last edited:

Never happen.

Cutting Government is a priority. It has to be. We're broke. Sure it may not happen in the Lame Duck session of Congress...but I would be willing to bet that we will see it surface after the newbies are sworn in. I think the people will demand such measures.

It is priority...however it is like trying to tell a dog to stop eating raw meat.
At the same time we have a public who wants their cake and eat it too.
I am sorry, truly am...but the chances of our country fixing it's problems before it is too late is absolute zero.
Our government is too corrupt, and our population has lost all clues as to what sacrifice and responsibility is.

Forum List

Back