Republican Candidates TOLD Not To Discuss IRAQ

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Who’d a thought it?

By KATE ZERNIKE
Published: October 15, 2006
EDGMONT, Pa., Oct. 12 — When Joe Sestak announced he was running for Congress, national Democrats and media consultants told him not to talk about pulling troops out of Iraq, arguing it would only encourage the image of Democrats as weak on national security.

Nine months later, having ignored their advice, Mr. Sestak has put a 20-year Republican incumbent on the run for the first time, turning a bid by a political novice into a real race. Polls show that Mr. Sestak is running even or better with his opponent, Representative Curt Weldon, and that the war more than any other issue is propelling voters toward him.
Facing pressure from Mr. Sestak and a stream of bad news from Iraq, Mr. Weldon, who prides himself on his foreign policy credentials, has adopted an unconventional proposal to allow the generals on the ground, rather than President Bush as commander in chief, to decide the pace of a phased withdrawal.

“That’s what I’ve asked the president to articulate,” Mr. Weldon said in an interview, “but so far he’s been unwilling to do so.”

Mr. Sestak’s persistence on the issue, and Mr. Weldon’s efforts to recalibrate his position, highlight some of the ways Iraq may be altering the politics of national security after decades in which the advantage has gone to the Republicans.

Democrats are increasingly confident that they can win on national security by arguing, as Mr. Sestak does, that going to war with Iraq ignored the more potent threats of North Korea and Iran, and that staying has left the nation unprepared to deal with crises elsewhere.

Mr. Sestak’s résumé provides the Democrats an especially good opportunity to be seen as strong when it comes to protecting the country: a former three-star admiral, he worked as a national security adviser in the Clinton White House.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/us/politics/15weldon.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Tsk Tsk. Why are they so afraid?

Psychoblues

Who’d a thought it?

By KATE ZERNIKE
Published: October 15, 2006
EDGMONT, Pa., Oct. 12 — When Joe Sestak announced he was running for Congress, national Democrats and media consultants told him not to talk about pulling troops out of Iraq, arguing it would only encourage the image of Democrats as weak on national security.

Nine months later, having ignored their advice, Mr. Sestak has put a 20-year Republican incumbent on the run for the first time, turning a bid by a political novice into a real race. Polls show that Mr. Sestak is running even or better with his opponent, Representative Curt Weldon, and that the war more than any other issue is propelling voters toward him.
Facing pressure from Mr. Sestak and a stream of bad news from Iraq, Mr. Weldon, who prides himself on his foreign policy credentials, has adopted an unconventional proposal to allow the generals on the ground, rather than President Bush as commander in chief, to decide the pace of a phased withdrawal.

“That’s what I’ve asked the president to articulate,” Mr. Weldon said in an interview, “but so far he’s been unwilling to do so.”

Mr. Sestak’s persistence on the issue, and Mr. Weldon’s efforts to recalibrate his position, highlight some of the ways Iraq may be altering the politics of national security after decades in which the advantage has gone to the Republicans.

Democrats are increasingly confident that they can win on national security by arguing, as Mr. Sestak does, that going to war with Iraq ignored the more potent threats of North Korea and Iran, and that staying has left the nation unprepared to deal with crises elsewhere.

Mr. Sestak’s résumé provides the Democrats an especially good opportunity to be seen as strong when it comes to protecting the country: a former three-star admiral, he worked as a national security adviser in the Clinton White House.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/us/politics/15weldon.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Tsk Tsk. Why are they so afraid?

Psychoblues

i hope Democrats :beer: wins

sestak is a lying piece of scum and there is no way he is going to beat weldon.

BTW i cant help but noticing that nothing in your article has anyone telling anyone not to run on Iraq.

Go back and read the article again. Why is Weldon so afraid to confront the opposition?

Psychoblues

sestak is a lying piece of scum and there is no way he is going to beat weldon.

BTW i cant help but noticing that nothing in your article has anyone telling anyone not to run on Iraq.

Go back and read the article again. Why is Weldon so afraid to confront the opposition?

Psychoblues

What the heck are you talking about? The very article makes it clear that Weldon ISNT afraid of confronting whomever is challenging him, whether it be Sestak or the President of the United States himself.

"Democrats are increasingly confident that they can win on national security by arguing, as Mr. Sestak does, that going to war with Iraq ignored the more potent threats of North Korea and Iran, and that staying has left the nation unprepared to deal with crises elsewhere."

so now the dems want to invade NK and Iran ?! Bush is Negotiating through the UN on both of these which is what you wanted on Iraq and Afganistan.....now you don't want to negotiate and invade nucular powers?!.....what a bunch of war mongers aren't two wars enough for you guys oh and invading countries with nukes is not a good idea.

yeap. Lets go to war with North Korea and Iran even though the UN and France and Russia are saying they believe Iraq has WMD's. Our advisors don't know that, but we are hearing they do. Fine lets do it...GO MR BUSH...You the man...Oops...We didn't find any...YOU suck Bush...We hate you. You lied.....NOOOOO, the UN, France, and Russia were saying it idiots. Maybe, just maybe, they were moved also....Anyone think of that?...Hussein was quick to run and hide for some reason. He wasn't letting inspectors in for some reason. You know...I love America, but I swear I hate some Americans. I think they watch too much 24 and crap like that. One track minds.....Wait...is that the Fed Ex commercial I like?...Gotta go!!!

Sounds to me like Weldon isn't afraid to talk about Iraq at all:

Mr. Weldon replied, “It’s a good question, it’s a tough issue,” then outlined again his plan to let the generals decide when the Iraqi army is ready, and to dismiss an American brigade as each Iraqi one is ready.

Where again, were Republican candidates ever TOLD not to discuss Iraq?
Psycho? You wouldn't be telling lies would you? :eek2:

Sounds to me like Weldon isn't afraid to talk about Iraq at all:

Where again, were Republican candidates ever TOLD not to discuss Iraq?
Psycho? You wouldn't be telling lies would you? :eek2:

You dont understand, that is Weldon showing he is "afraid" to confront the competition:p:

Psychoblues

Maybe you should read it yourself, Sparky. The only thing it says about anyone being told not to talk about anything is the Democrats telling Sestak not to talk about pulling troops out of Iraq. It also doesn't say anything about Weldon being afraid to confront anybody.

Otherwise, it's just an average pointless article from The NYT. No wonder they are losing money.

i hope Democrats :beer: wins

Gee just sad,

You and the rest of our enemies are in favor of the Democrats winning elections.... I don't even need to say anything else. This is your brother psycho, you must be very proud. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gee just sad,

You and the rest of our enemies are in favor of the Democrats winning elections.... I don't even need to say anything else. This is your brother psycho, you must be very proud. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yup sitarro, the liberal democraps LUUUUUUUVVV bad news. They revel in it, they celebrate it, they hope for it, they LIVE for it.

God help us if the liberals ever get power again. We can kiss our ass goodbye.

Forum List

Back