Republic vs. Democracy

The Army training manual from 1928 made the distinctions pretty clear:

"TM 2000-25: 118-120"
Democracy
A government of the masses. Authority is derived through mass meeting or any other form of direct expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic, negating property rights. Attitude toward law is that the will of the people shall regulate, whether it be based upon deliberation, or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Results in demagoguery , license, agitation, discontent, and anarch.

"TM 2000-25:120-121"
Republic

Authority is derived through election by the people of public officials best fitted to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights, and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles, and established evidence, with a strict regard to consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass. Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice, contentment, and progress.

A G. 014.33 (4-28-8).] C.P. SUMMERALL,
Major General,

Chief of Staff. OFFICIAL: LUTZ WAHL,
Major General, The Adjutant General
(end)
Bookmark this post. ;)

I do see the words in Artucle 4 Sec. 4 where is says ;
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government.
I don't see where it say's Democracy?
Because you don't know what Republicanism is.

It is a specific form of representative democracy.

Think: sheep, mammal

What's the difference -- and which one is the US?

Its not a black and white question, Mad. That's why this debate is really possible only if people don't know what the hell they're talking about

A republic suggests that representatives for the people do the deciding, but does not tell us HOW those representatives are chosen. (in the Roman Republic, for example, only the aristocracy voted)

Democracy suggests that the people (or at least some people) do the actual deciding.

A democratic republic suggests that the people (or at least some of the people) elect the representatives who do the deciding.

PURE DEMOCRACY implies that every decision is made by the people...ALL the people.

The only remotely pure democracies that I am aware ever existed were on PIRATE VESSELS during the golden age of piracy.

You will not find the word democracy in the constitution because congress who was forming the Constitution had argued extensively if we should have a democracy or a republic. They decided on a republic.

In the Federalist Papers Letter # 14 it is explained by Madison the difference between the two.
And why they decided on a Federal Republic and not a Federal Democracy.
Madison - I remark here only that it seems to owe it's rise and prevalence chiefly to the confounding of a republic with a democracy, and applying to the former reasonings drawn from the nature of the latter. The true distinction between these forms was also adverted to on a former occasion. It is that in a democracy the people meet and exercise the government in person; in a republic they assemble and administer it by their representatives and agents. A democracy, consequently, must be confined to a small spot. A republic may be extended over a large region.
He also explains- under the confusion of names, it has been and easy task to transfer to a republic observations applicable to a democracy only; and among others, the observations that it can never be established but among a small number of people, living within a small compass of territory.
This is why we vote among our selves in small groups ,but the Government itself is a Republic.
We are a Federal Republic.

Last edited:
[17] They who know of no purer sources of truth, who have traced up its stream no higher, stand, and wisely stand, by the Bible and the Constitution, and drink at it there with reverence and humility; but they who behold where it comes trickling into this lake or that pool, gird up their loins once more, and continue their pilgrimage toward its fountain-head.

[18] No man with a genius for legislation has appeared in America. They are rare in the history of the world. There are orators, politicians, and eloquent men, by the thousand; but the speaker has not yet opened his mouth to speak who is capable of settling the much-vexed questions of the day. We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire. Our legislators have not yet learned the comparative value of free-trade and of freedom, of union, and of rectitude, to a nation. They have no genius or talent for comparatively humble questions of taxation and finance, commerce and manufacturers and agriculture. If we were left solely to the wordy wit of legislators in Congress for our guidance, uncorrected by the seasonable experience and the effectual complaints of the people, America would not long retain her rank among the nations. For eighteen hundred years, though perchance I have no right to say it, the New Testament has been written; yet where is the legislator who has wisdom and practical talent enough to avail himself of the light which it sheds on the science of legislation?

[19] The authority of government, even such as I am willing to submit to — for I will cheerfully obey those who know and can do better than I, and in many things even those who neither know nor can do so well — is still an impure one: to be strictly just, it must have the sanction and consent of the governed. It can have no pure right over my person and property but what I concede to it. The progress from an absolute to a limited monarchy, from a limited monarchy to a democracy, is a progress toward a true respect for the individual. Even the Chinese philosopher (8) was wise enough to regard the individual as the basis of the empire. Is a democracy, such as we know it, the last improvement possible in government? Is it not possible to take a step further towards recognizing and organizing the rights of man? There will never be a really free and enlightened State until the State comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived, and treats him accordingly. I please myself with imagining a State at least which can afford to be just to all men, and to treat the individual with respect as a neighbor; which even would not think it inconsistent with its own repose if a few were to live aloof from it, not meddling with it, nor embraced by it, who fulfilled all the duties of neighbors and fellow-men. A State which bore this kind of fruit, and suffered it to drop off as fast as it ripened, would prepare the way for a still more perfect and glorious State, which also I have imagined, but not yet anywhere seen.

Thoreau's Civil Disobedience - 3

Forum List

Back