Republic vs. Democracy

What's the difference -- and which one is the US?

A Democratic Republic is a form of Democracy. We elected people to represent us in Government. The US is a Democratic Republic.

A pure Democracy would not work. That would mean on every decision the Government would have to hold an election with EVERYONE voting on it.

A Democratic Republic is a form of Democracy. We elected people to represent us in Government. The US is a Democratic Republic.

A pure Democracy would not work. That would mean on every decision the Government would have to hold an election with EVERYONE voting on it.
For once, RGS is right.

It's a matter of type versus form

We are a republic

we are a representative democracy

we are also a federation

The Army training manual from 1928 made the distinctions pretty clear:

"TM 2000-25: 118-120"
Democracy
A government of the masses. Authority is derived through mass meeting or any other form of direct expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic, negating property rights. Attitude toward law is that the will of the people shall regulate, whether it be based upon deliberation, or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Results in demagoguery , license, agitation, discontent, and anarch.

"TM 2000-25:120-121"
Republic

Authority is derived through election by the people of public officials best fitted to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights, and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles, and established evidence, with a strict regard to consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass. Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice, contentment, and progress.

A G. 014.33 (4-28-8).] C.P. SUMMERALL,
Major General,

Chief of Staff. OFFICIAL: LUTZ WAHL,
Major General, The Adjutant General
(end)

Actually I wonder if a direct democracy might not be a bad idea. It's certainly more doable in this day and age of technology then it was some time ago. Maybe it would keep Congress from trying to cram so much down our throats. And hopefully it would get people a little more plugged in to poitics.

Thank you very much for respecting the definition of words.

Good post

Please tell me where it say's in the Constitution, that we are a democratic republic.
All I can find is in Article 4 Section 4 that each state is guaranteed to a Republican form of government.

Please tell me where it say's in the Constitution, that we are a democratic republic.
All I can find is in Article 4 Section 4 that each state is guaranteed to a Republican form of government.
The republican form is a system of the democratic type

If the republic is the species, democracy is, say, the family with Representative Democracy being the genus

We are a democratic system. We are a republic. We meet the definition of both terms.

Wait

I thought we became an oligarchy? And that dimocracy was a sham?

hm, oh well.

In a pure democracy, everyone votes on everything, everytime. theres 300 million of us, so nothing would get done, so that,,,

hmm

Grid lock in government

I would like to try full democracy please!!

Old saying...

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for supper

I do see the words in Artucle 4 Sec. 4 where is says ;
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government.
I don't see where it say's Democracy?

I do see the words in Artucle 4 Sec. 4 where is says ;
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government.
I don't see where it say's Democracy?

Well, some states do have inherently democratic mechanisms such as the referendum.

But democracy isnt mentioned on purpose. Some of the founders had a fear of the "Tyranny of the Majority." Its one reason the Constitution has institutions and mechanisms that are inherently anti-democratic: the Senate, Electoral College, and the veto.

I will say that the U.S. has become more democratic in the sense that the electorate has expanded since its inception and with the implementation of the idea "one person, one vote" and equal representation.

Forum List

Back