Repressed Memories

I think we always have gaps. We tend to remember special times and good or bad experiences. But a lot of the mundane daily things get put into the recycle bin.

Joz said:
Yes, we have small gaps. I remember the day we moved into our house I was 4. I also remember walking to the school with mom & a neighbor to register me for kindergarten. I don't remember much else.

But what I'm talking about are large gaps in time. A couple of years or more that can't be remembered. You know you were around but can't give an account of anything during that time.

the aliens had you but we're not supposed to tell ya--it's an experiment :smoke:

I remember one incident from when I was 2, but nothing after that until I hit about 5.

Joz said:
But can you recall the other years? Not everythng. But instances like when you turned 6, what happend on a field trip when you were 7 and so forth?

Yes.. But nothing between that one instance at 2 years old, until 5 years old. Not a single thing. After 5, I can remember *tons* of stuff, including stupid stuff like playing "kitchen" with an old bookshelf, and some old empty spice tins in my room.

I can recall specific incidents from early childhood. Nixon-Kennedy election happened when I was 3/4. I remember swinging on swings with my best friend, our parents on opposit sides of the election, we took turns singing:

"Kennedy-Kennedy he's our man, Nixon belongs in the garbage can." Or the other way around. Where we got the lyrics from? :dunno:

Bringing it "front & center" and dealing with it isn't necessarily the best way for everyone to get over things. It's different for each person, I think.

Joz said:
I read that when there are large gaps in memory usually something traumatic happens.
Like at age 7 Suzy falls down the stairs but can't rmemeber. But Mom tells the story so Suzy understands why she's sometimes afraid on the stairs.

But what happens if it isn't talked about? Like sexual abuse? Memories get repressed.
I know someone who suspects being abused. Won't go see a professional for fear of what they will find out. I keep trying to tell them that the only way to get over it is to bring it front & center & deal with it. But they won't.

What about false memories though? http://skepdic.com/falsememory.html

Joz said:
I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
I agree that one should not go looking for trouble.

But most of us are influenced by what has happened in our lives both good & bad. And many times we have problems and we don't know the source...it's just the way we are.

But when a person has a definate problem (s) and they suspect this has occurred, then it needs addressed. It will manifest itself in many ways thru adult life. Why live with fear & unhappiness when it can be healed?

Unless the healing is likewise 'false.' That would definately be a problem.

Certain select bits will stay with you as memories but for the most part early childhood memories are lost. As I said the everyday mundane things are not important enough to stay with us. They are still there and can be drawn on occasionally with some effort but for the most part they are archieved in a back room of your brain.

Traumatic experiences can likewise be lost because one just doesn't want to remember them. Hypnosis can be used to help access these thoughts but its not an exact science and one can never be sure if the person is remembering or creating memories. Plus the hypnotist can affect the session with leading questions.

In most cases memory loss is simply just not being able to access the memories. No special events occurred to make it stand out for you. Even if a major event occurred, if it didn't affect you or you had no interest in, it then what you were doing at the time would be a buried memory.

The Dr is in

psyciatry 5 cents

large gaps in my memory....hell ya ....can;t even remember what i had for breakfast....best part is i wake up in the morining and there is yet anothe new hot chippy next to me

Forum List

Back