Reports Syria has used chemical weapons are beginning to surface

I'm sorry people are having nausea and signs of sarin poisoning where Assad has bombed his fellow Syrians, especially at Christmas time.

"Syrian rebels claim..."

Naw. THEY wouldn't have an interest in spinning a story or lying to draw in western support, would they?

But, if it turns out to be true, just how fast do you think the President and other western leaders can respond? After all, that story is dated TODAY!

• Banned
"Syrian rebels claim..."

Naw. THEY wouldn't have an interest in spinning a story or lying to draw in western support, would they?

But, if it turns out to be true, just how fast do you think the President and other western leaders can respond? After all, that story is dated TODAY!

Wartime reports are often wrong when first reported so I read this skeptically.

If true I have no idea how fast we would respond since Obama never made clear what the "threat" he made consisted of.

You didn't indicate that in your initial post. You just posted the report as is and used it as an excuse to question Obama.

If true I have no idea how fast we would respond since Obama never made clear what the "threat" he made consisted of.

I'm not the President, but I did spend many years in the US Army and I can tell you that his response cannot be carried out in less than a day. First, they'll have to verify the report, identify targets, alert the required assets so they can arm-up and be ready when the call comes. That can't be done at the drop of a hat.

• Banned

You didn't indicate that in your initial post. You just posted the report as is and used it as an excuse to question Obama.

I'm not the President, but I did spend many years in the US Army and I can tell you that his response cannot be carried out in less than a day. First, they'll have to verify the report, identify targets, alert the required assets so they can arm-up and be ready when the call comes. That can't be done at the drop of a hat.

I indicated what the story said. Its not my job to twist news stories to suit myself. I simply supplied what I read then asked what it would mean to us based on Obama's threat. I also never suggested that we should be doing anything much less anything right away.

Why do so many of you look for demons to fight about where none exists? Is a simple conversation beyond the capability of USMB posters?

Stopping Syria from using chemical weapons 'almost unachievable'...
:eusa_eh:
Pentagon weighs how to secure Syria's chemical weapons
Thu January 10, 2013 - "We're not talking about ground troops" to secure weapons, Panetta says'; Britain's Hague says "all options are on the table," will push for political solution; The U.N. is preparing a global pledging conference to aid Syrian refugees; Brahimi repeats widespread view that al-Assad family has been in power too long
U.S. officials are discussing with Middle East governments the steps needed to ensure that Syria's chemical and biological weapons sites are secured if President Bashar al-Assad leaves office, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday. "We're not talking about ground troops, but it depends on what ... happens in a transition," he told reporters. Asked whether he had ruled out putting U.S. troops in Syria to secure such weapons, Panetta said: "You always have to keep the possibility that, if there is a peaceful transition and international organizations get involved, that they might ask for assistance in that situation. But in a hostile situation, we're not planning to ask for that."

Preventing Syria from using chemical weapons once its military has moved to use them "would be almost unachievable," said U.S. Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "You would have to have such clarity of intelligence, you know, persistent surveillance, you'd have to actually see it before it happened, and that's unlikely, to be sure," Dempsey said. The discussion came as the Syrian government accused the diplomat leading the international effort to forge peace of being biased in favor of the enemies of Damascus.

Lakhdar Brahimi, the U.N. and Arab League joint special envoy to Syria, has "deviated from the essence of his mission and clearly unveiled his bias to circles known for conspiring against Syria and the interests of the Syrian people who have not read the political program for solving crisis objectively," a state report said. The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency quoted an official source at the Foreign and Expatriates Ministry.

Syria's remarks came after the BBC interviewed Brahimi, who has been trying to persuade the government and rebels to cease hostilities and to urge world powers to move toward a political settlement and end a civil war that has killed more than 60,000 people. Brahimi told the BBC that al-Assad told him last month that "he was thinking of taking a new initiative." Brahimi was quoted as saying he told al-Assad that "it would have to be different from initiatives in the past ... which had not changed the situation one iota." But, Brahimi said, "what has been said this time is not really different. It is perhaps even more sectarian, more one-sided."

More Pentagon weighs how to secure Syria's chemical weapons - CNN.com

Thu January 10, 2013 - "We're not talking about ground troops" to secure weapons, Panetta says'; Britain's Hague says "all options are on the table," will push for political solution; The U.N. is preparing a global pledging conference to aid Syrian refugees; Brahimi repeats widespread view that al-Assad family has been in power too long
U.S. officials are discussing with Middle East governments the steps needed to ensure that Syria's chemical and biological weapons sites are secured if President Bashar al-Assad leaves office, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday. "We're not talking about ground troops, but it depends on what ... happens in a transition," he told reporters. Asked whether he had ruled out putting U.S. troops in Syria to secure such weapons, Panetta said: "You always have to keep the possibility that, if there is a peaceful transition and international organizations get involved, that they might ask for assistance in that situation. But in a hostile situation, we're not planning to ask for that."

Preventing Syria from using chemical weapons once its military has moved to use them "would be almost unachievable," said U.S. Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "You would have to have such clarity of intelligence, you know, persistent surveillance, you'd have to actually see it before it happened, and that's unlikely, to be sure," Dempsey said. The discussion came as the Syrian government accused the diplomat leading the international effort to forge peace of being biased in favor of the enemies of Damascus.

Lakhdar Brahimi, the U.N. and Arab League joint special envoy to Syria, has "deviated from the essence of his mission and clearly unveiled his bias to circles known for conspiring against Syria and the interests of the Syrian people who have not read the political program for solving crisis objectively," a state report said. The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency quoted an official source at the Foreign and Expatriates Ministry.

Syria's remarks came after the BBC interviewed Brahimi, who has been trying to persuade the government and rebels to cease hostilities and to urge world powers to move toward a political settlement and end a civil war that has killed more than 60,000 people. Brahimi told the BBC that al-Assad told him last month that "he was thinking of taking a new initiative." Brahimi was quoted as saying he told al-Assad that "it would have to be different from initiatives in the past ... which had not changed the situation one iota." But, Brahimi said, "what has been said this time is not really different. It is perhaps even more sectarian, more one-sided."

Obama never promised to keep Assad from using chemical weapons. He promised severe punishment if he does. Given his track record in places like Pakistan and Yemen, I have little doubt that the use of chemical weapons by Assad will result in armed Predators looking for his head. And, they'll get it too.

Obama never promised to keep Assad from using chemical weapons. He promised severe punishment if he does. Given his track record in places like Pakistan and Yemen, I have little doubt that the use of chemical weapons by Assad will result in armed Predators looking for his head. And, they'll get it too.

Unlikely. Isn't assassinating or targeting heads of states illegal?

Forum List

Back